Williams writes "Great Performances" TV Theme

TownerFan

Thank you for the link. Yes, I am in the US. I actually DVR'ed that PBS broadcast on Italian film music from a few weeks ago which is what started me thinking about a complete performance of JW's Great Performances theme. The broadcast actually includes 1 minute 15 seconds of the theme, which I think is the entire piece because it had a very natural, Williams-esque ending. Unfortunately there was narration over most of the second half. I guess this will have to do until it's recorded at some point. I should make an MP3, though.

• 4 months later...

All week PBS have been highlighting John Williams in advance of the Great Performances broadcast Friday night of the Dudamel / LA Philharmonic Celebration concert. Today's item is the Emmy award winning theme for Great Performances. The article includes a video of the rehearsal / recording as well as a stand alone audio of the complete theme (regional restrictions may apply):

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/john-williams-great-performances-theme-song-and-interview/

I could watch the behind the scenes stuff like that all day. a superb little video showing Williams at work.

edit: it is nice to see that a poll about foul language is generating more interest than both the video and release of a clean version of the work itself.

I can't view it

Is the sound quality better than 128kbps?

Anyways it would be nice if someone could make an audio file of the clean version of theme in there

This is such a neat little piece; I really appreciate that he kept it from being too self-serious and ponderous, which could have been a real temptation given the situation. It really reminds me of a more grown-up version of the Amazing Stories theme--it wouldn't sound too out of place mixed in with a lot of his work from the mid-80s, I don't think. The behind-the-scenes stuff is really great too; his process is just fascinating to me.

Seeing the usual suspects of the studio musicians from Tim Morrison to Donald Williams and Steve Erdody on that video was nice. :)

It really reminds me of a more grown-up version of the Amazing Stories theme--it wouldn't sound too out of place mixed in with a lot of his work from the mid-80s, I don't think.

Agreed, it sounds totally mid-'80s to me, from TOD to AS to SpaceCamp to Witches of Eastwick. I love when Williams time travels and delivers such magical pieces.

FYI, the audio in both the PBS and YouTube videos is 2-channel mono (same information in both channels), whereas the MP3 file is stereo.

To be perfectly honest, I enjoy this theme more than any of the scores he's done since 2005. It took me a little while to warm up to it, but after listening to a clean recording, I realized that it sounds exactly like his 80s music that we all know and love. I think he actually composed it back then for NBC News or something and dusted it off for Great Performances.

FYI, the audio in both the PBS and YouTube videos is 2-channel mono (same information in both channels), whereas the MP3 file is stereo.

Would someone upload an MP3 stereo file of the complete performance of the Maestro's Theme for Great Performances, if possible?

Johnny, the mp3 were talking about is right there on the PBS page Mari posted:

All week PBS have been highlighting John Williams in advance of the Great Performances broadcast Friday night of the Dudamel / LA Philharmonic Celebration concert. Today's item is the Emmy award winning theme for Great Performances. The article includes a video of the rehearsal / recording as well as a stand alone audio of the complete theme (regional restrictions may apply):

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/john-williams-great-performances-theme-song-and-interview/

Right under where it says "Hear John Williams’ 2009 Emmy Award-winning theme song for Great Performances (1 min, 18 seconds):"

Here's the mp3 file they are using:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/pbs-ingest/wnet/GPER/JohnWilliamsTheme.mp3

EDIT: I Just realized if you are outside of the US, the mp3 file might be blocked. Is that your issue?

Johnny, the mp3 were talking about is right there on the PBS page Mari posted:

Right under where it says "Hear John Williams’ 2009 Emmy Award-winning theme song for Great Performances (1 min, 18 seconds):"

Here's the mp3 file they are using:

EDIT: I Just realized if you are outside of the US, the mp3 file might be blocked. Is that your issue?

Oh, thank you.

I live in the US.

I listened to the mp3 a few times now - damn catchy theme, ain't it?

Well, it is Maestro John Williams. I expected nothing less. It is a phenomenal piece.

Too bad they put a 160kbps mp3 on the site instead of a 320kbps one.

I was able to convert the audio file into 256 kbps. The sound quality is quite good.

Johnny, converting a 160kbps mp3 to a 256kbps mp3 does not actually increase the sound quality of the file; In fact, it DECREASES It because you are re-encoding the whole thing from scratch.

Everytime you "convert" you will lose more quality, unless you convert the original mp3 into WAV (and then convert that into FLAC or ALAC). But then you will be increasing the file size with no gain in resolution.

The file was downgraded to 160kbps by the PBS guys, and that's all we can get. You can't magically re-gain the information they lost when they encoded it just be re-encoding it to a different bitrate of format.

I hope this makes sense.

Johnny, converting a 160kbps mp3 to a 256kbps mp3 does not actually increase the sound quality of the file; In fact, it DECREASES It because you are re-encoding the whole thing from scratch.

Everytime you "convert" you will lose more quality, unless you convert the original mp3 into WAV (and then convert that into FLAC or ALAC). But then you will be increasing the file size with no gain in resolution.

The file was downgraded to 160kbps by the PBS guys, and that's all we can get. You can't magically re-gain the information they lost when they encoded it just be re-encoding it to a different bitrate of format.

I hope this makes sense.

Well, I actually converted the file first into WAV and then ALAC, and the sound quality of the music is quite good. What you said does make sense, though.

All you did by doing that was increase the file size without gaining any extra audio definition. You wasted your time and hard drive space.

I honestly don't mind educating people on the ins and outs of digital audio manipulation.

All you did by doing that was increase the file size without gaining any extra audio definition. You wasted your time and hard drive space.

The file size is increased, true, but the music quality does sound quite good. That is all I'm saying. Besides, it does not cover a great amount of space on my hard drive.

Of course not, no. But it should sound IDENTICAL to the original untouched file (unless of course you also increased the volume or played with the EQ or did any other kind of manipulation)

Of course not, no. But it should sound IDENTICAL to the original untouched file (unless of course you also increased the volume or played with the EQ or did any other kind of manipulation)

I increased the volume slightly, but that is all. Until the piece gets an official release, I do not mind having it in this format, as it sounds pretty good.By the way, I did not know that Great Performances aired "A John Williams Celebration." That is great. I have the DVD of the concert.

If anyone has a clean recording of the theme as featured in the video, I'd be delighted to receive it. I'm not quite sure about the technical aspects of ripping it. I already have a version of the theme, but I think the audio of this is better.