Williams advised LA Phil Music Director Gustavo Dudamel on his first film score

TownerFan

I'm 95% teasing. I am a fan of both Dudamel and JW - but it's nice to have powerful friends. With that said, Dudamel is a touch notch musician who's overcome a lot to be where he is and deserves all his success.

I wasn't aware he was a composer. I know him from the LA Philharmonic, and he's hit or miss with me on classical music. Given his skill as a classically trained musician and conductor, I am interested to see how this turns out.

Nice of JW to give him some moral support. :)

But didn't Dudamel say that he is not too keen to repeat the experience. So no worries for all those composer folks out there for more JW backed competition. ;)

It's rare to see a classical conductor of his caliber try his hand at film composition. Maybe this will be his "On the Waterfront"?

Maybe Alex Ross will be allowed to praise this one.

• 10 months later...

http://www.dailynews.com/arts-and-entertainment/20140727/los-angeles-philharmonics-gustavo-dudamel-scores-first-movie-soundtrack

When he first started composing for the film, Dudamel invited Williams over to his house to hear a bit of it. “I was so nervous that day, but when I played for him he told me it sounded really good and went on to tell me to develop this or that. He said, ‘Don’t create a symphony. Sometimes only use one element to create tension.’”

Dudamel says Williams is “like a god to me. I think, in general, he’s not only a great film composer, but I think is one of the great composers in the history of music.”

Oooh they mispelled Tintin in that article. It's Tintin not Tin-Tin! :stick:

What amateurish rag of a newspaper!

Hmmmmmmm never mind. Sick kids and feeling way more ornery than usual.

My first genuinely touchy and subsequently edited/aborted post!

Despite your retraction, my remark was admittedly a cheap shot at posts I've read recently, including yours. I don't mean to disparage your opinion. In fact, to an extent I see where you're coming from. Minority Report, a score that has endeared itself to me more and more in recent years, rarely achieves the noirish disquiet I instinctually associate with the deep, glowering woodwind clusters of Bernard Herrmann. And Williams's latter day action writing often expends so much energy just keeping up with the on-screen mayhem that it excites less than it enervates.
But if Williams tends broadly toward a clinical precision or fussy ornateness, as some have implied, I don't see it. I'm biased, of course. To me, Williams's music, more than anything else, feels like home -- a place to which I always look to return, no matter where my film music travels take me.
Hope your kids feel better soon!

Cheers mate; like I said, it's not in my nature (or at least I try to prevent it from being in my nature) to get touchy at all, least of all on the internet. But I'm glad for a bit more explanation beyond the initial quip, and I understand fully. :) And for the record, I love Minority Report and generally prefer mid-90s and post-mid-90s Williams to his earlier stuff.

I think these apparently radical notions are symptomatic of a larger artistic transformation, which I'll talk about in my other thread where it's more appropriate.

I read Alan's initial post as being a funny piss-take. Was I wrong to?

I didn't see your first response. I'm guessing you took him at face value? Was you right to? I'm a bit confused!

Hmmmmmmm never mind. Sick kids and feeling way more ornery than usual.

My first genuinely touchy and subsequently edited/aborted post!

You George Lucassed your post?

Karol

P.S. All the best your kids. :)

Alan's post was just a piss-take. And I believe Mike to it to heart. But they've both hugged and made up...I hope!

Hope your kids get better Mike!

Stop talking about me, you'll give me a panic attack!

And I've gotta say, especially Sharky, don't take anything I say as anything more than just a summary of my own experiences. I'm not trying to peddle any ultimate truths here. Don't let it bother you!