Simon Pegg loves John Williams

Mr. Pegg must have been deligted to work in Tintin then :)

Actually yes, both him and Nick Frost talked very highly about the score. They're big fans, they even tried to get him for Paul but they said he was too expensive.

Pegg is a fellow geek who has, bless him, the air of not quite being able to believe his luck. Spaced, the 'Three Cornettos Trilogy', Paul, NuTrek ... all hugely entertaining (as is 'Nerd Do Well', his autobiography).

Good luck to him, say I.

But does anyone actually not love his music? (dodgy JWFan members aside)

JWFan is notorious for JW haters.

Mr. Pegg must have been deligted to work in Tintin then :)

Actually yes, both him and Nick Frost talked very highly about the score. They're big fans, they even tried to get him for Paul but they said he was too expensive.

If i had been Williams i would have written them a sketch of the main theme for free...

But then it would be a very weird film for him to be attached :P and the negotiations probably didnt go up than his representative or assistant...

Pegg is a fellow geek who has, bless him, the air of not quite being able to believe his luck. Spaced, the 'Three Cornettos Trilogy', Paul, NuTrek ... all hugely entertaining (as is 'Nerd Do Well', his autobiography).

Good luck to him, say I.

A king among gingers!

Next thread: Jerry Goldsmith Was Ok With John Williams

Have you ever read the few parts from the cancelled Jerry Goldsmith bio his daughter had written?

Jerry had some critical points about Johnny.

Indeed, the shit!

Jerry expressed some very frank opinions about some of his fellow composers. JW, Elmer Bernstein, maybe Herrmann too. Criticizing not so much their music, but other things. It's the kind of thing that might be hard to read for fanboys, but it's the frank and informed opinion of a composer of a certain age of people that he has known for decades.

I recall Jerry not getting why John got involved with the Boston Pops if I recall correctly. Calling him a brilliant composer, but didnt get why he needed to be such a public persona.

The book was scuttled when certain people in the industry got wind of it. Apparently Lukas Kendall informed them.

That's a shame that Kendall kiss-assed in that way. And is that it? Jerry didn't like Johnny doing his summer concerts? Miserable bitter old git! Not sure what's so "frank" about it though.

Well it's frank in that Jerry had enormous respect and admiration for JW as an artist, but there were things about him that he didnt agree with. Like so many of us who have certain opinions of co-workers.

But yeah Jerry did clearly suffer from miserable old, slightly misunderstood artist syndrome, like John Barry and Hermann.

it would have been a cracking read though. Unlike a JW autobio, which would not have a single controversial thing in it.

After being hit by the bomb that Brian Eno, I mean BRIAN ENO, hates John Williams, it is comforting to know Simon Pegg still loves him. Whew! We dodged a major crisis here.

Was it good?

It was good, yes. The attention to detail and atmosphere, life out at sea for months on end, it was all very evocative and even exotic. I'll probably end up reading the entire series, eventually.

Jerry expressed some very frank opinions about some of his fellow composers. JW, Elmer Bernstein, maybe Herrmann too. Criticizing not so much their music, but other things. It's the kind of thing that might be hard to read for fanboys, but it's the frank and informed opinion of a composer of a certain age of people that he has known for decades.

I recall Jerry not getting why John got involved with the Boston Pops if I recall correctly. Calling him a brilliant composer, but didnt get why he needed to be such a public persona.

The book was scuttled when certain people in the industry got wind of it. Apparently Lukas Kendall informed them.

Goldsmith might have mentioned the Pops, but what I recall was he complaining about the then recent "Rose Parade" thing, with Williams arranging and conducting a group of bands on the National Anthem. He said something like that all that was bellow Williams own dignity.

There was also a quote or interview with Alex North's widow where Williams was compared to Goldsmith as a lesser composer.

Either one agrees or not with those statements, the way they were presented sounded more like coming from someone jealous of a colleagues success than anything else.

I think other composers and musicians had something said about them, but honestly, only recall those two examples and the way the whole thing sounded to me.

Williams only ran circles around him in the success department, and that mainly proves that he is more easily digestible by the public not that he writes better music. As FILM composer (not so much of absolute music), Goldsmith easily outran Williams, with exceptions that prove the rule.

I halfway agree with Miguel, though i doubt that Goldsmith is the only one saying that only that he got published. I once talked to a orchestra player from the LSO who had one or two things to say about James Horner on whose scores he often would play and believe me, all the gushing you hear about these composers in public become very relative when you hear the behind-the-scenes gossip.