What makes a great Williams score for you?

Ludwig

Here's the most simple answer to this thread

When the recording sessions/complete score become an obsession to get, it means it's a great Williams score. And I mean more than scratch it off the list for collecting purpose

You mean homophonic choral passages? That's what I'm talking about. It's basically how Williams treats the choir.

Yes, but not just choir. In many of these examples (i.e. the forest opening from E.T.) they're absent. Two other common features are diatonic parallelism and modality.

Edit: I like King Mark's answer. I'd say that's the same for me.

I mean , say what you will of the SW prequel scores, but a lot of us spend hundred of hours poring over videogame files to make an expanded score.

You mean homophonic choral passages? That's what I'm talking about. It's basically how Williams treats the choir.

Yes, but not just choir. In many of these examples (i.e. the forest opening from E.T.) they're absent. Two other common features are diatonic parallelism and modality.

Ok, but I think there's a conflation of a few quite different emotions in the list of examples. Probably best to distinguish positive from negative or mysteriously ambiguous.

Right, this is what I think of when thinking of JW's religioso style. The choir is just an orchestrational touch to help sell the mood.

Also, what about "The Mountain" from Close Encounters (especially 0:49)?

I think that's more impressionist than what Thor's referring to.

Here are the three key features from his examples -

- A deep bass or pedal point

- Parallelism (can be diatonic like Final Duel or chromatic like the Ark Theme)

- Block chords

You have a tendency to overanalyse.

Which one of us?

Ok, but I think there's a conflation of a few quite different emotions in the list of examples. Probably best to distinguish positive from negative or mysteriously ambiguous.

That's true, but all of these examples evoke a feeling of spiritual awe.

I mean , say what you will of the SW prequel scores, but a lot of us spend hundred of hours poring over videogame files to make an expanded score.

Do you literally ADORE every single cue and every single note of the prequel scores, KM?

All 3 scores would benefit from EXPANDED score releases that included the missing highlights, but not from complete "every single note included" versions.

Idiot!

It would result in a disjointed listening experience!

What about 'The Forest' from E.T.?

Oh, absolutely! Those angelic chords during the total of the tall trees is a great example, and I can't believe I forgot it since I wrote my thesis on this score, among other things.

It makes the forest look and sound like a cathedral, which makes sense given the ET's strong and almost religious connection to Nature and plants.

I think that's more impressionist than what Thor's referring to.

Here are the three key features from his examples -

- A deep bass or pedal point

- Parallelism (can be diatonic like Final Duel or chromatic like the Ark Theme)

- Block chords

You said it better than I.

For many of them, there is also a strong woodwind presence.