Your favorite John Williams score of the 2000's? CONCLUDED

Your favorite John Williams score of the 2000's?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite John Williams score of the 2000's?

• The Patriot
    • A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    • Harry Potter And The Philosophers/Sorcerer's Stone
    • Star Wars: Episode II - Attack Of The Clones
    • Minority Report
    • Catch Me If You Can
    • Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban
    • The Terminal
    • Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge Of The Sith
    • War Of The Worlds
    • Memoirs Of A Geisha
    • Munich
    • Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull
    • Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets (John Williams/Williams Ross)

Posting this a bit sooner because I dunno when i'll have time this weekend.

Same drill as the other ones. Once again only complete John Williams scores are included. So Chamber Of Secrets is NOT in the poll for that reason, because it was co composed by Williams Ross.

If I have to pick just one, the answer is quite obvious. A.I.. I don't necessarily love every single piece, but it contains some of the most intriguing writing. The Mecha World is the single best cue he's composed this millennium.

Karol

Once again only complete John Williams scores are included.

Attack Of The Clones has a cue written by John's son (Dex's Diner), so you should remove it from the poll.

That's a source cue, and therefore is exempt from my rule. Plenty of films have sourcecues not written by the films composer.

I almost went with Minority Report, which I consider to be one of Williams' greatest scores ever. However, I suppose I had to go with Harry Potter. I knew from the trailer with Hedwig's Theme that we were in for something good. I didn't even particularly care about the film itself, I attended opening night strictly to hear the music. I was not disappointed! Right from the Warner Brothers logo, I think we all went straight into Williams nirvana. Just the way I remembered and adored him. 2 1/2 hours later, I wanted to hear every second of that score and then some.

Torn between the Harry Potters and A.I., although I love the Star Wars scores. Another hard decade for me to choose just one... I went with the first Harry Potter.

Toss-up between Catch Me If You Can and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, but I've been listening to the former a lot lately and it serves the film a little better, so I went with that. I love this decade, though.

Probably his best decade, in my opinion.

Which others did you like on the list?

I enjoy everything there sans the first two Potter scores and the SW music. Munich, A.I., and Prisoner Of Azkaban are top JW material for me. It's such a varied decade in terms of musical styles and tones, but then again that can be said for any of his decades. Perhaps it has to do with the 00s really being the time where I started exploring film music.

One of the best thing about it is how unobtrusive it is in the film, there's very little music spotted. And that does somehow enhance it as well. I like it quite a bit. It's also brave of Williams and Spielberg to go with a major summer blockbuster that doesn't have what general public would call a "theme".

Karol

hard to pick, each score has its Pro's and Con's.

I went with AOTC.

An underrated score for sure.

Damn, this is such a good decade for John. Think it's high time for a 00s listening party.

I picked ROTS but it was a tough decision. So much good stuff!

One of the best thing about it is how unobtrusive it is in the film, there's very little music spotted. And that does somehow enhance it as well. I like it quite a bit. It's also brave of Williams and Spielberg to go with a major summer blockbuster that doesn't have what general public would call a "theme".

Karol

That moment that the first tripod rises from the ground is one of my favorite Spielberg/Williams moments in recent years. Terrifying.

For me, this place is 90% the JW subforum and 10% this place, so I hope Jay moves it to the correct forum.

In any case, my favourite is without question A.I. -- a masterpiece and his best work of the 2000s, IMO.

The Ferry Scene and The Intersection Scene are highlights (among many) of Williams' 00 output, but the entire score I don't find consistently interesting enough to rank among my favourites. A few others are candidates, I shall ponder it a bit longer.

For me, Williams in the 2000s was a lot like Williams in the 90s in that I enjoyed the hell out of his scores at the start of the decade and became less interested with each passing year. He blew his load early on with A.I., Harry Potter, Minority Report and Catch Me If You Can. However, Williams had something of a comeback in the 90s when he did scores for Private Ryan, The Lost World and The Phantom Menace. The same can't really be said for the 2000s, where he apparently "retired" and put out an extremely disappointing Indiana Jones score that I suppose suited the film.

That cue is friggin fantastic. I also love how he uses vocals in it. Speaking of which, are the effects at 3:22 vocal or synthesised? Or both? I loved those - creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zP6PGXNENY

Karol

That cue is missing from the sketches, but it sounds like both the choir and a synth are involved.

He actually talks about it at 2:50 here.