Finn has a theme in The Force Awakens score

SafeUnderHill

I would think all the new leads have their own theme. Just look at how many themes Williams wrote for Tintin, War Horse, Lincoln... he's been pretty theme heavy lately!

Williams was AT all of the sessions, and did all his normal duties of working with the players, making adjustments on the fly, etc etc. But sometimes other people did the actual baton waving, due to his back issues and I guess pacemaker too

Nice! So I'm guessing it'll be a full-blown theme rather than a motif like I was expecting.

Perhaps it is a theme, perhaps a motif. I would not take the word of an actor to count as evidence toward one vs the other, though it is evidence that there is one or the other.

Cool. If you look at the OT not every lead character had their own theme. Leia did and Luke technically did but his also served as the main theme. Maybe it will be different this time around.

All three leads had their own theme! And so did Obi-Wan, Yoda, Vader, Boba Fett, and The Emperor. I'm sure TFA will have lots of character themes.

All three leads had their own theme! And so did Obi-Wan, Yoda, Vader, Boba Fett, and The Emperor. I'm sure TFA will have lots of character themes.

I don't recall Han having a theme other than "Han Solo & the Princess" which was kind of larger than that single character. I also don't remember Obi-Wan and Boba Fett having their own themes but I'm probably just not informed enough.

Obi-Wan's Theme = The Force Theme, like Luke's Theme = The Main Theme and Han's Theme = Han and Leia's Love Theme. Williams gave all his big themes multiple uses.

Boba Fett's Theme is very short

On 5/8/2015 at 12:32 AM, Jay said:

Boba Fett Motif
2-03 Attacking a Star Destroyer 0:00-0:30
2-05 City In The Clouds 1:51-1:58
2-07 Betrayal at Bespin 1:51-1:56

Click the snapback.png to see other short themes in the TESB score

Just look at how many themes Williams wrote for Tintin, War Horse, Lincoln... he's been pretty theme heavy lately!

I've forgotten all those themes.

Yeah. There were obviously themes in those movies, but they were almost more like motifs than strongly defined themes. Williams hasn't really written an old-style, theme-driven score since HARRY POTTER 3. Since then, he's been more concerned with exploring rhytmical patterns and chord variations. The themes since then haven't really made an impact, at least not on me, even if the music has been beautiful in other ways.

So I predict that the new STAR WARS score will be more of the same -- lots of rhytmical patterns, explorations of chords and harmonies and themes that aren't as well-defined as they used to -- including Finn's theme. Mind you, it's just speculation (and I'd be delighted to be proven wrong), but it's an educated guess based on his film scores in the last decade.

Yeah, I personally wasn't sure that Finn was going to get his own theme either.

The Jurassic Park theme obscure untill Jurassic World?
Hedwigs more well known then Superman?

Stick to Middle-earth music SUH!

While the first isn't true, as I can confirm that with my generation at least, Hedwig's theme is far more popular than the Superman theme.

No Jurassic Park is not obscure, it's just less well known than Hedwigs theme nowadays (among the young folk). This should not come as a surprise.

Strictly anyone under the age 10, then.

No Jurassic Park is not obscure, it's just less well known than Hedwigs theme nowadays (among the young folk). This should not come as a surprise.

Strictly anyone under the age 10, then.
Given the popularity of HP over the last 15 years, and the release date of JP it shouldn't come as a surprise. And clearly that age is incorrect.

I disagree. Even moreso after the current success of Jurassic World.

No matter which way you slice it, HP is just more memorable in the public sphere. It has the draw of a younger audience whilst being recognizable to older moviegoers. Is that a bad thing? I'm sure people will come to revere Williams older themes as the masterful pieces they truly are...

On topic though, this just makes me more excited to hear what new themes JW has cooked up. I have a feeling he's put a lot of heart (no pun intended, you bastards!) into this.

Just look at how many themes Williams wrote for Tintin, War Horse, Lincoln... he's been pretty theme heavy lately!

I've forgotten all those themes.

Yeah. There were obviously themes in those movies, but they were almost more like motifs than strongly defined themes. Williams hasn't really written an old-style, theme-driven score since HARRY POTTER 3.

This is just categorically untrue! How can you possibly think that's true????