La-La Land Records' HOOK (2CD Expanded) Discussion thread

Jay

If you've received your copy, you should discuss it in this thread, as the original thread is going to be cluttered for a while with "Mine shipped!", "Mine arrived!", "Still waiting for my copy to arrive", "When do you guys think it will sell out?", "Who has the cheapest international shipping?", "Wow, we gotta wait 2 weeks for more stock? What a gip!" type posts.

This thread will be for actual discussion of the release only.

I'll start:

Banning Back Home film version is sooooooo cool!

Is the OST version of Banning Back Home a previous alternate or was it done for the OST?

Believe it or not, no one seems to know!

Is the OST version of Banning Back Home a previous alternate or was it done for the OST?

It was made as background music for The Weather Channel! Lol

Ha! Exactly!

As silly as that sounds, years ago before shows like "Storm Chasers" came along, you'd turn to The Weather Channel and there would just be a blue screen showing the Weather forecast. It would also have some new age jazz or something similar playing, and that "Banning Back Home" album track would have fit right into all that.

"Your local forecast. Only on The Weather Channel!"

I find it interesting that LLL has used the "other" version of Banning Back Home in the main score and has put the film version on the bonus tracks list. If this is the one that JW happens to prefer for the CD maybe it was done for the album in fact.

Listening to it now...

My thoughts will be totally random.

Looks like a percussionist got a little excited 2 seconds in Prologue Alternate. There's a sound that shouldn't be there. I enjoy this version very much. More magical than the in your face actiony original.

Wendy Tells Peter the Truth reveals quite a few background noises that, musicians moving around, banging against stuff. Love the choral.

To anybody who's heard the tracks in question - how would you rate the second two Ultimate War pieces? Sound quality, obvious edits, volume fluctuations, etc.?

To anybody who's heard the tracks in question - how would you rate the second two Ultimate War pieces? Sound quality, obvious edits, volume fluctuations, etc.?

The second Ultimate War suffers the most. You have to be really nit picking to be bothered by it.

The first and third has some iffy edits that are noticable.

With the unreleased Ultimate War bits being from the music only stems from the film it definitely won't have the clarity the rest of the score would have. It's a bit disappointing that they couldn't locate the original elements for those pieces. Oh well better than not having them at all.

The second Ultimate War suffers the most. You have to be really nit picking to be bothered by it.

The first and third has some iffy edits that are noticable.

Awesome, thank you. If it's listenable, and nothing else could be done, I can't complain. :)

Not gonna lie, I can't really hear it.

Watch, when I get the CD and I'm listening to it, I'll hear what you're pointing out... and then it'll be a moment-ruining distraction from then on. :D (I kid, I kid... it sounds fine, really).

I hope Jason doesn't take this down. Its under 30seconds and he hosts samples on the site anyway.

http://www.peeje.com...sample.mp3.html

Here is part of an edit, I believe from Ultimate War 1. It happens at the strings 0:12-0:13. Just doesn't sound right.

Samples 30 seconds or less are fine

Yea I hear something weird in the strings there

If there's an edit what could be edited? Maybe an unreleases bit that would only exist in the film stems but was microedited in the film and thus we don't have it?

Hmm. I think I'm drunk right now.

Yea, he meant the film itself was edited there, and therefore that edit would be carried over to the CD

Anybody find it weird that the film version of BBH is a bonus track, and an alternate version/OS version is the third track on the album proper?

Well, no big deal, I guess, but a bit strange...

Anybody find it weird that the film version of BBH is a bonus track, and an alternate version/OS version is the third track on the album proper?

I guess it is the result of Williams' input. He retained many album edits in the score proper but LLL managed to slip some film versions in there like the Arrival of Tink and Flight to Neverland.

I guess it is the result of Williams' input. He retained many album edits in the score proper but LLL managed to slip some film versions in there like the Arrival of Tink and Flight to Neverland.

Yeah, I'm sure the folks at LLL were like: "Hey, Johnny, look behind you, a three-headed monkey!", and when Williams turned his head to look, they quickly inserted the film versions on the disc.

That's how I imagine the scenario. Exactly like that. Williams is notoriously afraid of three-headed monkeys. Some fan you are for not knowing that.

Hmmmm, possible, yes. But somehow I doubt that.

Remember, JW had final approval. So if there was something JW didn't like, he sure would have said something! I don't think he wouldn't care whether a piece he didn't want to be included is listed in the album proper or as a bonus track...

Sorry if the question has been already anwsered on the other thread (I didn't keep up like I wanted in the last 2 days because of job obligations!):

Does the LLL set present the "Prologue" at correct speed? The tracklist seems to indicate it still plays at the wrong speed/pitch.

Actually that was my feeling too!

But I am sure they did the best they could with what they had... and this release is tons better than the Epic release, anyway.

Sorry if the question has been already anwsered on the other thread (I didn't keep up like I wanted in the last 2 days because of job obligations!):

Does the LLL set present the "Prologue" at correct speed? The tracklist seems to indicate it still plays at the wrong speed/pitch.

Prologue is still the wrong speed like the OST. Prologue (Alternate) is the correct speed as recorded.

The sample sounds iffy. It's OK for what it is (a film stem) but i'm not overly happy.

Hey only the second half of the Ultimate War (well, and maybe the End Credits, and maybe the revised ending of Flight To Neverland) are from the film stems.... the rest are from the real recording sessions and sound utterly glorious!

I don't doubt that, but given the importance of the battle music, it's just unfortunate. I don't need WHEN YOU'RE ALONE or THE BANQUET in glorious sound...

Yes, judging from the samples, this release seems to be a bit uneven.

And yeah, Sony is probably to blame... again, I am sure LLL did the best they could with what they had. Oh well.

I don't doubt that, but given the importance of the battle music, it's just unfortunate. I don't need WHEN YOU'RE ALONE or THE BANQUET in glorious sound...

Yeah rather ironic (and irritating) considering how popular the Ultimate War music is.

Well, it's not LLL's fault Sony didn't archive their materials properly!

Indeed! I have nothing but admiration for LLL for taking on this project and seeing it through diligently and doing their best while at it.

Well, it's not LLL's fault Sony didn't archive their materials properly!

Does it make the sound better that it isn't LLL's fault?

Yeah rather ironic (and irritating) considering how popular the Ultimate War music is.

With a bit of luck, they find a better source and put it on a future release of another score. FSM did that with THE PRIZE and some other stuff, it's not ideal, but at least you get some new music going with it.

Prologue is still the wrong speed like the OST. Prologue (Alternate) is the correct speed as recorded.

Curious. Do you think was intentional on Williams's part, or simply an error that was carried over and missed?

Hey only the second half of the Ultimate War (well, and maybe the End Credits, and maybe the revised ending of Flight To Neverland) are from the film stems.... the rest are from the real recording sessions and sound utterly glorious!

"The Death of Rufio" is from the sessions, though, isn't it? So the previously unreleased section of Part I and all of Part III are from the film stems--if I understand correctly?

Curious. Do you think was intentional on Williams's part, or simply an error that was carried over and missed?

I've been thinking this. I thought we simply would get the trailer music at the beginning at the correct speed. But it might be that the altered version is that way on purpose and that's why we get it there and the unaltered as an alternate?