Headphones

bob23

Not sure if already posted on here but I used these - noise cancelling Goldring's. They are probably the best headphones I've used so far, excellent clarity in the sound (particularly with noise cancelling switched on) and they are definitely more comfortable than the Sony's that I used to use. The case that comes with them is also solid and they are surprisingly portable considering they are over ear. :)

yes of course. Grados= Alone at Home

I'll keep saying the Shure SE215 are my favorite portable earphone of all time. I've had them for a year and nothing I've had in the past compares with the sound balance of these for orchestral music. They have a similar crisp and detailed sound to Grados SR60's, but more real bass( in this case that doesn't muddle the mids and highs). They are "in ear" but you don't need to stick them in too far

Recently I tried some Bose Quiet Comfort 2 whatever from someone I know, and I found they have a flat muffled sound, so add this to the list of headphones I don't recommend. By themselves they didn't sound horrible, but switching back and forth with the Shure it was obvious

I don't even understand why people consider Bose, when for less money they have access to AKG, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Grados, Denon, Fostex, Audio Technica, Koss...etc.

THIS.

(The answer is marketing, of course)

Recently I tried some Bose Quiet Comfort 2 whatever from someone I know, and I found they have a flat muffled sound, so add this to the list of headphones I don't recommend.

The Bose AE2 sound pretty good. I listen to them each time I walk into a Apple store. People shouldn't listen to the amounts of high frequencies (Grados) or low frequencies (Beats Audio) but to the accuracy (no region should jump out), depth and how lively they sound. It's also the most comfortable headphones I know.

Apparently, the Koss are rather loud to bystanders. Seems everyone in the office can listen in on my playlist now...

That's retarded if everyone in your office and hear your music because of the substandard headphones.

I don't even understand why people consider Bose, when for less money they have access to AKG, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Grados, Denon, Fostex, Audio Technica, Koss...etc.

Agreed. While the Bose sound nice I'm not gonna shell out the money for them. I'd rather spend that money on something else.

I still maintain that my V-Moda Octave's are the best noise cancellation earbuds I've ever owned. :P

Apparently, the Koss are rather loud to bystanders. Seems everyone in the office can listen in on my playlist now...

That's retarded if everyone in your office and hear your music because of the substandard headphones.

Not necessarily substandard, just not suited for office use. Though I haven't yet tested how loud they really are for outsiders.

Recently I tried some Bose Quiet Comfort 2 whatever from someone I know, and I found they have a flat muffled sound, so add this to the list of headphones I don't recommend.

The Bose AE2 sound pretty good. I listen to them each time I walk into a Apple store. People shouldn't listen to the amounts of high frequencies (Grados) or low frequencies (Beats Audio) but to the accuracy (no region should jump out), depth and how lively they sound. It's also the most comfortable headphones I know.

THIS

Bose is overpriced, like all headphones, but their products sound great.

• 2 months later...

Well, fellas, I took the plunge and bought the Bose AE2 headphones. At first, I was disappointed with them. I tried it with my hi-fi amps, my Samsung Plasma TV, my laptop ... but they just didn't sound right. They sounded somewhat different on each device but every time the music felt distant and bass and treble were somewhat lacking, as if all frequencies were cut off from a certain point. The most positive thing I could find was how comfortable they are when you are wearing them but I sorta regretted the purchase. Two days later my Nokia 808 arrived and when I plugged the AE2 into the phone my jaw almost literally fell to the floor. Suddenly everything was there. Very rich and without overpowering bass or treble (Beats and company). Very, very balanced and detailed. I can tell you, the sound is pretty amazing. Almost perfect, in fact. Then it hit me, these phones are specifically designed for the iPhone and other smartphones like it! Bose actually sticks a label on the box (Made For iPod, iPhone, Ipad) so people know what they are buying but I thought that was a silly sales pitch. Anyway, I'm happy with them. Yes, it's a shame that they don't match with "all your favorite equipment" but they are truly excellent for my Nokia 808 Pureview and the sound is okay for watching TV.

product1_65238_600x600.jpg?

Wait! The label is probably only there because this is the AE2i, which has a remote control for use with Apple products. It appears that the box for the normal AE2 does not mention it.

Alex

There's such a thing as good Bose headphones?

I don't think so.I've heard them (or a similar model) and I wasn't impressed. The mids are recessed and orchestral music sounds thin and muffled. Looks like Alex got sucked in my the slick marketing after looking for a pair for years and despite reading this tread

I you were going to buy something in that style the Bowen and Wilkens P5 are much better (i tried them too)

I do not believe for a second that the iphone "output" makes a difference unless the other devise you listened on was really shit or you have some weird EQ on it. The other headphones should sound good on the iphone too

I agree with King Mark as well, with one caveat...some headphones just can't be driven by an iPod/iPhone amp. But there is no excuse to go with Bose for that reason. There are many many great headphones that can be driven by a tiny amp in a phone.

I don't think so.I've heard them (or a similar model) and I wasn't impressed. The mids are recessed and orchestral music sounds thin and muffled. Looks like Alex got sucked in my the slick marketing after looking for a pair for years and despite reading this tread.

I don't think so. In fact, the high mids and low mids of the AE2 are very present. It's precisely what amazed me each time I tried them out in Apple stores and many reviewers tend to agree. It seems to me you blindly prefer to accept the word of the Bose haters on the internet.

I you were going to buy something in that style the Bowen and Wilkens P5 are much better (i tried them too)

But I tried the P5 many, many times, because I love the design. However, it's a low mid sounding pair (making them what I call 'dark' sounding - BTW, I can show you many reviews saying exactly the same) and treble (starting from 10.000 khz) is weak (muffled - it rolls off dramatically). The new P3 is far better balanced and, in fact, pretty similar to the Bose AE2 but I prefer the latter because the soundstage is wider and deeper. Also, like the P5, the P3 is an on ear type of headphones and I don't like any form of pressure to my ears.

I do not believe for a second that the iphone "output" makes a difference ...

That means you are not able to to tell (which is bad because it really is obvious) but headphones do respond very sensitively to things like output impedance.

Read: http://nwavguy.blogs...-impedance.html

The AE2 is designed for iPhone and not for hi-fi amplifiers. I don't know what the deal is with TVs. Yesterday, I used them while watching a movie (The Matrix on Blu-ray), using the output of the Samsung, and the sound of the AE2 was liveless, one-dimensional with bass noticeable missing around the 100 hertz. That's typically the range that you can adjust on most amplifiers and what they call "bass" - anything below that is called sub-bass. The high frequencies are also very thin. It's predominantly midrange sounding with no depth or soundstage in the music. If you don't believe that for a second, get on a plane, go to my house, and maybe I can demonstrate it to you. I want to look into your eyes while you say I don't hear it. It's the same on my Panasonic TV. Crappy output? Perhaps, but it does goes to show how each output makes a difference! The AE2 didn't sound good on a rather expensive Sony SACD (direct headphones output) player either. My studio headphones, the Audio Technica ATH-M50 sound very disappointing on that player too (and they generally sound very good on portable devices and the outputs of good hi-fi amplifiers - I tried it with my new Nokia and the sound is incredible, but to be honest, the famous ATH-M50s do have the popular 'smiley face curve': boosted lows and highs with a reduced midrange). My Sennheiser HD-580s are the only ones that seem to agree with that SACD player. Again, different sources, different sound.

I have an interest for Hi-Fi from since I was 14, working with sound professionally and hobby-wise, and I am well aware of the notorious Bose reputation but while some people merely adapt a certain belief (it's Bose so it means it's overpriced crap), I'm always open-minded to their new models and I will judge it without bias. That's why I ended up with the AE2. But I will only recommend it in combination with Apple products (which I don't have) or competitors. If it wasn't for the Nokia 808, I would've been greatly disappointed with them. I wouldn't understand why they sounded good in the shop but not on my equipment.

Come to think of it, I forgot about that, I tested the AE2 with my BlackBerry Javelin and that's why I knew they sounded good without any hidden tricks from the Bose demo stand.

Alex

Headphones are a freaking minefield and it tires me out just thinking about getting a new pair, which I am. Your description of those Bose ones when you paired with a phone do sound good and I'd like to try and compare them. Output device IS almost as important as the speakers themselves. I thought this was common knowledge.

However, you're not basing your review findings on the recommendations of well known "trusted" websites and magazines such as What HiFi, are you? Because those five star scores are effectively bought. This is also common knowledge, among the consumerist savy.

The best source for hardware reviews is a broad meta score of customer experience and word of mouth. The magazines are only ever useful for technical information.

I read everything, from consumer reactions to pro reviews. The consumer meta score on the Bose brand is usually even higher than the professional reviews. The consumers that don't like the AE2 are generally the ones complaining that it doesn't have the (overpowering) booming bass of Dr. Dre Beats series. Most pro reviews see the AE2 as a dramatic new direction for Bose: A Bose headphone that doesn't emphasizes bass or treble and leans towards 'neutral' is new to most reviewers too. I even visited headfi.com, the home of the headphones audiophiles, and while there is a lot of blind hatred (those who say it's crap without any first-hand experience on the discussed model), there are also regulars who had the balls to say, "Well, I tried them, and I ended up buying them. Some purely for the level of comfort, others for the combination of comfort and a surprisingly good sound. That took some guts because mentioning the name Bose over at headfi.com is a dangerous thing to do. It's like saying you like John Williams on a classical music forum. Most would laugh too.

Alex

The Dr Dre thing is a huge issue, for non pop beats enthusiasts. My Goldring (bought on a whim) are spectacular for bass and electronica, but just too heavy for orchestral treble and bass, particularly when plugged into my phone. But I don't want to lose that quality when buying a new pair - since film music isn't the only thing I listen to. The trouble is almost every review out there is from a pop music perspective, even when that isn't stated by the person, so it makes most claims unreliable and choosing very difficult. I need a set of briiliantly versatile over-ear headphones which correctly reproduce all ranges in all musical genres, but actually finding them is an impossible mission, since almost every pair I try has bass which appeals to Rap fans.

If you are seriously looking for a new pair of headphones, Quint, take your Samsung S3 (or is it iPhone 5 by now?) with you. I don't know about you but I live in the center of a town where there is no shortage of electronic stores and where you can actually plug the jack into your own device. Test the B&W P3, the Bose AE2, ... Perhaps you should also check Grado (but those are perhaps a little too light on bass).

I used to give headphone advice. Now I just let people do their "thang" and enjoy whatever floats their boat.

A co-worker has bought a Sennheiser HD800...

I'm afraid it might be contagious.

I obviously use Grado SR60i. If you're a stickler for bass, they may not be right for you. From my experience, they emanate an absolutely bone-chilling sound that sold me on first listen of Erich Kunzel's recording of SpaceCamp. Perfect for orchestral music, which I predominantly listen to.

I don't know man. Here's where I'm coming from. I think that it might be an unnecessary expense right now. I also feel like you don't always have to upgrade your stuff or have the higher end equipment for quality. The SR60's really agree with me and I just don't have the urge to go with another headphone. They sold me on my first listen and I haven't used anything else for most of my music. Maybe I would be blown away by a higher end model, but for now the SR60s suit me. Now as soon as I'm making mad bank and have the extra dough, I might consider it (but maybe not even then). These headphones are the best for me.

I don't know man. Here's where I'm coming from. I think that it might be an unnecessary expense right now. I also feel like you don't always have to upgrade your stuff or have the higher end equipment for quality. The SR60's really agree with me and I just don't have the urge to go with another headphone. They sold me on my first listen and I haven't used anything else for most of my music. Maybe I would be blown away by a higher end model, but for now the SR60s suit me. Now as soon as I'm making mad bank and have the extra dough, I might consider it (but maybe not even then). These headphones are the best for me.

Yes, I know what you mean about the SR60's but the 225's have more bass extension and wider sound

I'd say if you turn on Bass Boost EQ isetting in itunes, you get the approximate sound of SR225's with SR60's

You know, I'm not fond of the sound with the bass boost or any changes to the EQ in iTunes. Maybe that's why I love SR60s. They brighten the sound enough to bring out the orchestra without being too heavy on the bass.

I never mess with the EQ settings on my iPhone or in iTunes. E.T. get the V-Moda Octave earbuds I have, I promise you will NOT regret buying them. They're the perfect balance for film scores I've ever heard and I've tried a TON of earbuds. They're also the best noise cancellation earbuds and if you have small openings for your ears they have very small fittings. They're also the msot comfortable earbuds you can wear for a long time without them hurting your ears, at least they are to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking for a good-sounding, comfortable, and affordable pair of headphones or earbuds to use while working out at a gym. One with separate earpieces because I cannot wear the behind-the-head band while wearing glasses. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I just tried them out.

surprisingly fuzzy and unclear sound, crappy bass, uncomfortable. what a disappointment! pretty sexy design though... I'll give them that.

I compared them to my sennheisers (which cost about €5 less than these go for?!) and in comparison they sounded like a pair of crappy earphones you get with cheap mp3 players. I listened to some of their (motörhead's) songs with them and my ears literally hurt. oh the irony.

no wonder I got them for free.

V-Moda Octave! (clicky for amazon link)

Seriously these are the best earbuds I've come across in years. Great balance for everything and it's the best sounding one for scores I've heard in a long time.

Not my picture...but they are well worth every penny. They come with very small fittings if you have small openings of your ears. They are also the most comfortable earbuds I have ever owned. I can listen to scores with these for hours and not be hurt by them like most earbuds tend to do.

I dare anyone else on this board to get them and try them.

post-565-0-47460500-1354297594_thumb.jpg

I just tried them out.

surprisingly fuzzy and unclear sound, crappy bass, uncomfortable. what a disappointment! pretty sexy design though... I'll give them that.

I compared them to my sennheisers (which cost about ¤5 less than these go for?!) and in comparison they sounded like a pair of crappy earphones you get with cheap mp3 players. I listened to some of their (motörhead's) songs with them and my ears literally hurt. oh the irony.

eBay!

V-Moda Octave! (clicky for amazon link)

Seriously these are the best earbuds I've come across in years. Great balance for everything and it's the best sounding one for scores I've heard in a long time.

Not my picture...but they are well worth every penny. They come with very small fittings if you have small openings of your ears. They are also the most comfortable earbuds I have ever owned. I can listen to scores with these for hours and not be hurt by them like most earbuds tend to do.

I dare anyone else on this board to get them and try them.

post-565-0-47460500-1354297594_thumb.jpg

That chick is really digging those earbuds.

I just tried them out.

I compared them to my sennheisers (which cost about ¤5 less than these go for?!) and in comparison they sounded like a pair of crappy earphones you get with cheap mp3 players. I listened to some of their (motörhead's) songs with them and my ears literally hurt. oh the irony.

eBay!

nah, I'll be giving themk to this charity thing. parents who can't afford christmas gifts for their kids, specifically. (Y)

I'm looking for a good-sounding, comfortable, and affordable pair of headphones or earbuds to use while working out at a gym. One with separate earpieces because I cannot wear the behind-the-head band while wearing glasses. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Check out the Koss SportaPro:

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B00001P505

Or get the Koss KSC75 (Marian got a pair, he liked them, minus the sound leak to the outside Office world), buy a cheap $2 china headphone and replace the clips with the metal band from the Chinaphone, http://www.parts-exp...tnumber=240-015

I just tried them out.

eBay!

nah, I'll be giving themk to this charity thing. parents who can't afford christmas gifts for their kids, specifically. (Y)

Admirable charity there, Alice. Using the poor and needy to offload your crap!