Elfman / Burton Box Set Coming.

Ollie

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When iTunes had DRM files, those were AACs. And you can put DRM in WMAs.

Never heard of it being done to mp3s.

Rich, 192 is pretty bad, I'm sorry

And of course they could have fit the entire set on the drive as 320s. flash memory is CHEAP

Well there's a lot of music, and 320 is nearly double 192. If you're trying to keep costs down, then a stick double the size is a reasonable difference.

It's not just this though. I've seen all sorts of weird bitrates on composer sites, as low as 96 (my god, what are you thinking?).

Maybe whoever made the key decided that since it would be played on a computer, quality wasn't so important. WRONG!

17 full CDs at 192kps is about 1700 megs, so would need a 2gig stick

17 full CDs at 320kbps is about 2800 megs, so would need a 4gig stick.

So yea, double the size, but still - flash memory is CHEAP

Yea. Its just a shame that that is likely the highest quality we'll ever get those USB-exclusive cues at

Well, the purpose was only to have it easily handy for if you want to put it on a portable device. But the exclusive extras would have been welcome in a higher bitrate for sure. That said, they're almost all demos so it's not too important stuff :) I'm very glad they decided to put something extra on in the first place! So well done to them.

I just finished listening to the Pee Wee's Big Adventure disc. Wonderful, fun music from start to finish! I was amazed how much of it I knew - I don't own the OST or the DVD with the isolated score track. Its just from seeing the movie so many times I guess!

Anyway, what's up with track 4? Not only does Pee Wee sing along for a bit towards the beginning, at the end there are sound effects and dialogue!

Holy crap, I think the final track - Studio Chase (film version) might be my favorite track on the whole CD! Exhilarating stuff!

I just listened to the orchesta-only Nightmare Before Christmas cues from Disc 16.

WOW.

AMAZING.

A dream come true to hear this. Can't wait to listen to the NBXMas disc!

Finally got mine this afternoon. Only looked through it. I don't even know where to begin on this. There's so much to enjoy.

I might listen to them on disc once. Then try to download the music on an Ipod. Which I've never done before. Not to mention I've never used an Ipod in my life. But I just want to preserve the box and it's contents.

Reading this thread until April 12th is going to kill me, I hope Amazon ships early!

The date there is now May 3.

I feel like it may depend on when you ordered the set, because my personal order still says April 12th on it, and it's been up to date with every other delay thus far.

There's SO MUCH good music on this set, its unfathomable. Stuff that would never have seen the light of day without the producers of this box set working with Elfman to put it all together. It's quite remarkable.

The sheer amount of Nightmare Before Christmas stuff is amazing. There's NBXM stuff on of the 4 of the 17 discs!

We knew the track listings a long time ago, Jay! :P

All that Nightmare stuff is the main reason why I got the set.

"This Time" aka unused heavy metal version of Making Christmas kicks ass. In the note, Elfman said when they played it for him he had no idea it existed but recognized that it was indeed him singing. He said it was likely some marketing ploy that got scrapped.

Yea but we never knew about the USB exclusive Nightmare stuff until recently, and its really cool!

Also it hasn't been mentioned here, but the christmas bonus physical disc 17 DOES feature one item NOT available losslessly anywhere else - an exclusive music box medley that otherwise only exists on the USB stick in 192k

Oh snap! :P

It's a truly remarkable set, and the fact that my name is in it makes it even sweeter. I would love to have the equivalent boxes for Spielberg and Williams as well as Silvestri and Zemeckis.

I'm starting to agree with JLB about that. I know, $50 for MOH music is top dollar, but $700 for Elfman wouldn't be. Color me stupid.

I told myself after the Fellowship of the Ring: EE DVD came out, that I would join their fan club so I could get my name in the end credits of one of the later two. Never happened.

Where Koray's name is, that's way way cooler.

No, it appears Elfman didn't want it that way. All the original soundtrack albums are intact, except for a few instances where he replaced an edited cue with the full version. The Nightmare Before Christmas is the only one he put in chronological order.

Still, it makes the bonus disc you have that much more special :)

That's actually a big deal to me. I'm a lossless hound. :lol:

If lossless is available, I always want it... and I like the Music Box Suite. :)

I notice for most of the rest of the Elfman box (c.d.'s 2 to 13), most of the scores either have expanded scores (Batman, Batman Returns,Mars Attacks) , or already leaked recording sessions (Corpse Bride, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)

Right now it leaves Alice in Wonderland (more orchestral Alice theme than the album?), Edward Sissorhand (the boot is so-so if I recall) and Sleepy Hollow. Don't care so much about PoTA and Big Fish

I guess Alice in Wonderland would be my most wanted then

No, it appears Elfman didn't want it that way. All the original soundtrack albums are intact, except for a few instances where he replaced an edited cue with the full version. The Nightmare Before Christmas is the only one he put in chronological order.

The Nightmare Before Christmas OST was always in chronological order. It is a musical, after all. Some of his other OSTS are chronological too, I believe

A little while back Jay asked if I could rip him something in lossless before his CD arrived, and I kindly obliged. But I forgot to change back my iTunes settings after that, so everything I imported since then was in lossless and I didn't know it. I'm not going to even bother trying to figure it out, but I'm glad I caught it on Beetlejuice. The box set in MP3s is already almost 3 GB. Imagine the whole thing in lossless!

Hard drive space is cheap in 2011. You could (many would say should) rip everything lossless, and click off the "convert to 128k for portable devices" or whatever the option is called for ipod versions

Well if your ripping every thing in lossless, not much is going to fit on your ipod. Converting each time to 128 k is also time consuming

i still keep mostly 320k and lossless for important scores

The conversion to 128k is done automatically behind the scenes by itunes, so it isn't "time-consuming" at all