Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Admin note: For earlier news before JJ Abrams was signed, see Disney buys Lucasfilm and all subsidiaries for $4.05billion, will release Star Wars Episode VII in 2015

J.J. Abrams is directing Episode VII

So at least we know who's scoring it then.

Karol

YEAH, BABY! The prophecy was true!!!

"A prophecy, that was misread, could have been.....WHO THE HECK IS WRITING THIS CRAP, SPEAK RIGHT, CAN I NOT?"

I hope it Giacchino does score this, that he can hold back is incessant desire to have an orchestra bang household objects against drumpads.

Given Lucas has creative input, I wouldn't be surprised if he at least made the request they try to get Williams first. But he's not exactly in the position to say "I won't have anybody else doing it" any more...

So Giacchino will do this, meaning we won't get a new JW score, the entire movie will be lens flares and it will likely go against all the established canon.

It could be good, but who cares if there's no John Williams score. Seriously.

So Giacchino will do this, meaning we won't get a new JW score, the entire movie will be lens flares and it will likely go against all the established canon.

The former two are guesses at best. The latter two... as I pointed out, Lucas has creative input to an extent. And as for the last one... well, given the Prequels did just that anyways, it's probably true that it'll ignore some of the established canon. But story is entirely down to Lucas' outlines and the script writers.

I can't really imagine Giacchino doing this if Williams is available. Even if Abrams asks him and not Williams, I imagine Giacchino would refuse until Williams declines an offer.

But if Williams isn't available and Giacchino ends up doing it, it could turn out great. At least if he returns from his dry Lost sound to a more lushly romantic setting.

Doesn't Abrams get bored?

What if... what if it ends up like his Trek films? Devoid of wonderment, superficially feeling serious and dark but filled with lots of dumb stuff and things like gratuitously jumping off a cliff that would kill you?

No more of that!

Besides, it's not like Star Wars was anything more than a product. Abrams is as suitable director as any. I'm sure the film will turn out better than the previous three. It's not bad news.

Karol

Besides, it's not like Star Wars was anything more than a product. Abrams is as suitable director as any. I'm sure the film will turn out better than the previous three. It's not bad news.

I'll hope it's more Super 8 than Star Trek.

I want Mathew Vaughn. Why can't I get Mathew Vaughn?

I love much of Eshkeri's Stardust, but base on that I can't imagine him coming up with a full Star Wars score.

Me neither.

Abrams would (will?) do a fantastic job as a director for the film...I feel pretty certain of that. But I'll avoid getting too optimistic if Giacchino ends up taking the reins for the score. While I think he's a great guy and he's written some amazing music, I find the only Star Wars work he's done to be...well, not very Star Wars-ish. I'm referring, of course, to the music he wrote for the Star Tours queue. IMO, the material is at its best when it's trying to sound not like Star Wars, but like a fresh Giacchino take on Star Wars themes. The galactic weather report segments are one example. But then there are other parts where Giacchino just recorded straightforward orchestral adaptations, and I find that the performance, mixing, and harmonic alterations all detract from the end product. I'd scared that we could end up with a score that sounds like that. Which is something I'm sad to say, since I know Giacchino had the best intentions with those recordings.

Oh well. Whatever happens happens. And if Abrams is the director, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the film.

the material is at its best when it's trying to sound not like Star Wars.

Then the only bad parts should be the Main and End Titles! ;)

the material is at its best when it's trying to sound not like Star Wars.

Then the only bad parts should be the Main and End Titles! ;)

Williams personally approved those arrangements...

Karol

JJ Abrams probably the best choice for director. Even if there are a lot of lens flares, it'll still be more visually interesting than the prequels. The decision of who's going to score is probably all up to John Williams. Giacchino really respects him and would only score it if John Williams himself declines.

The decision of who's going to score is probably all up to John Williams. Giacchino really respects him and would only score it if John Williams himself declines.

Yes.

Cautiously optimistic about this news. The film, at the very least, won't be an embarrassment, and given an opportunity like this there's a chance Giacchino might step up and deliver something pretty special.

Williams defined the sound of Star Wars. If Giacchino wants direct comparison here is his opportunity.

Michael Giacchino is no John Williams. So whatever hopes people have in comparing the two are rather useless. Never understood e who'd "he's the next Williams" thing anyways.

And while he seems like the more obvious choice, I'm honestly not that excited to hear a SW score from Giacchino. I'd just feel like there'd be something missing. It's how I felt about John Carter.

The decision of who's going to score is probably all up to John Williams. Giacchino really respects him and would only score it if John Williams himself declines.

That sounds like a win win situation for me...

This job is Williams if he wants it, there's absolutely no doubt about that. I also think think there's very little chance JW will score Abrams Star Wars, for a variety of reasons. Clearly in that case Giacchino will do it.

I think this is generally good news, for both Star Wars and Star Trek, as Abrams is a smart choice for SW but was a bad fit for ST. And I do hope it means the end of his direct involvement with Star Trek, I'm really not comfortable with one geek controlling both of these franchises..in fact I'm not even sure I like the idea of the same person scoring them. These are two worlds which really should'nt collide.

Even before we can attempt to get anything good out of this, Lucas needs to stay the hell away or we'll get his influence ruining this just like it contributed to ruining Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. The most he should influence this:

1. John Williams does the music

2. No lens flares, in fact dump your DP altogether

3. No computer generated cartoons everywhere

4. Nothing from the prequels

5. Raping Han Solo and all characters from Star Wars, Empire and Jedi is strictly forbidden

6. No Shia or any of these shitty popular modern actors

7. No awful storylines that don't make any sense and/or plot holes everywhere

That will never happen, so I'm going to go ahead and predict we're screwed, but I'd be ecstatic to be wrong

My problem with Giacchino is that his music never really soars. It's always light hearted and emotionally barren. This might be due in part to Wallin's infamous mixing but I think there's something missing in the compositions themselves.

If Spielberg was the guy responsible for JJ getting hired, I imagine he'll be working behind the scenes to get JW to score the film, too. Just my two cents.

If JW wants to do it, he'll be given the gig, that's for sure. Completely possible that he'll refuse or turn it down, though. But it would be nice to see his take on the SW universe in the hands of a more competent director; it could be something truly spectacular.

Well if Williams doesn't score it, Giacchino might as well.

There's no way it's going to be at the same level, but it'll probably be a decent score if Super 8 and John Carter are any indication. (I still dislike Star Trek to this day)

I can't think of any other composer who can do these types of score nowadays. Desplat already proved an epic fail with Potter

My GUT feeling is that Williams will pass on this