What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

They keep milking it. It loses steam, then picks back up.

The show's tone is widely inconsistent. Mythology episodes where the sky is falling are followed by monster of the week episodes with lighter tones, which are interspersed with funny episodes (Bambi is one; the upcoming Hollywood AD is another, which is really ridiculous). Step 1 of any episode should really be to check people's neck for being a shape shifter.

Supergirl, pilot episode.

It aired in Aus last night. I think I'm smitten with this bulky cutie. This is another DC show where we can expect consistent lighthearted outlandishness.

If only the DC movies were more like Supergirl, The Flash and Arrow.

Yesterday's episode of Hannibal was the best one so far. It was about a guy who is already locked up for 2 years in a Silence Of The Lambs-ish prison and who claims to be a very famous serial killer but they start to think he's not who he says he is. Hannibal is slowly coming out of the shadows. Finally!

Alex

Watched Marvel's Jessica Jones. I like the premise and what the series is attempting to explore. Ritter and Tennant are really strong in opposing roles, although Jessica is very repetitive in her moodiness and becomes increasingly annoying. A surprising highlight of the show was Carrie-Anne Moss, of all people. She uses her cold domina presence very well, something that usually works against her. Some good ideas in there that push the boundaries of what's acceptable in a Marvel property (especially the gory violence in latter episodes)... But the series feels like it should have been half its length. It feels very hammy, unfocused and meandering. Some of the supporting characters and subplots feel really awkward. They could have used some better writers on this one, someone who would save the (potentially intriguing) concept from falling apart. And fall apart it does: the forced noir vibe, quirky humour, soapy melodrama and excessive violence usually just don't go very well together. Not unless you're Vince Gilligan or Coen brothers. While not completely hopeless... it's still a pretty big disappointment.

P.S. I'm not looking forward to Luke Cage series now cause he's pretty boring in this.

Karol

Excessive violence? I think it's very modest with violence, certainly compared to Daredevil, which absolutely thrives on violence. Other than that, it's a show for juveniles, of course. Nancy Drew meets Heroes meets Mike Hammer. Funny that you mention Carrie-Anne Moss as the highlight of the show. The kid thinks she's too Bones. Somehow she reminds me of a younger Angela Petrelli of Heroes.

BTW, there's a reason for Jessica's moodiness and why she doesn't want people around her. It's not just a forced Noir element.

Star Trek: Voyager: Nothing Human

It's a Doctor episode, so it's a good one. But it's like good and bad at the same time? Ultimately, it's nonsensical. Hey, that's Voyager for you. An alien life form attaches itself to B'Elanna and even The Doctor can't figure out how to remove it without killing her. So, with remarkable ease (especially considering their past attempt to create another version of The Doctor when he went missing), they create another hologram of a Cardassian exobiologist complete with, presumably, his personality. This is already ridiculous.

Anyway, B'Elanna refuses to be operated on by a Cardassian, which raises the question of why they didn't simply reprogram the hologram to be another species. They don't do that. A Bajoran crewman implicates the new Cardy doctor (which, remember, folks, is a holographic approximation of the guy with his life's research somehow integrated into his software) in the mass killings of his people during the occupation. This apparently creates an ethical dilemma. It's fucking weird, but it does kinda make you, like...think. This one's got an excellent Cardassian guest star, a Cardassian set that was obviously from Deep Space Nine, an homage to Alien and a lot of The Doctor. Therefore, I approve due to entertainment.

Excessive violence? I think it's very modest with violence, certainly compared to Daredevil, which absolutely thrives on violence. Other than that, it's a show for juveniles, of course. Nancy Drew meets Heroes meets Mike Hammer. Funny that you mention Carrie-Anne Moss as the highlight of the show. The kid thinks she's too Bones. Somehow she reminds me of a younger Angela Petrelli of Heroes.

BTW, there's a reason for Jessica's moodiness and why she doesn't want people around her. It's not just a forced Noir element.

I can't really relate to any of the characters. Most of what they do either doesn't make sense or feels too "constructed" in order to give them weight. It doesn't work.

And there are some images that feel more disturbing than anything in Daredevil.

Karol

Ironically, I think Hannibal is the show, of any I have seen, that most values human life and most justifies the violence its characters commit, considering the show's themes of mortality and the philosophical ramifications of it that the characters experience, especially in the second and third seasons.

I mean, I do think those ideas exist in the first season, the whole idea that death can be a form of art, creating immortality in its "subjects." That is the vibe I got from Hannibal, the character, and I think it flows into the beauty of the cinematography, set design, impressionist performances, etc. It's not about provoking the audience with shocking images, but rather showing them how typically gruesome concepts can be made beautiful by context.

That said, I think some of the killers, Molly Shannon or the Cello dude(even though his making people into instruments supports my argument), were pants-on-head stupid. The first season is definitely the roughest.

I recently saw one episode each of Scorpion, Madame Secretary, NCIS, NCIS New Orleans, and The Good Wife. They were all dreadful. It's true. The jokes about CBS... all of it.

Oh, and NCIS Los Angeles. Really... it's all so bad.

Fargo S02E09 - The Castle

Holy shit. That is all.

Well actually there's a lot I'd like to say, but I can't seem to. But I just realized that Patrick Wilson actually plays a younger Lou Solverson from Season 1....not sure why I didn't really catch that. This episode really bridges the two seasons, with narration provided by Martin Freeman himself! Loved the slightly Wes Anderson-ish story framing/bookending. And that finale...no clue what it means, but I'm loving the stylistic confidence of the show-runners here. I also heard Fargo's been renewed for a third season recently as well. Excellent!

I recently saw one episode each of Scorpion, Madame Secretary, NCIS, NCIS New Orleans, and The Good Wife. They were all dreadful. It's true. The jokes about CBS... all of it.

Sadly, the soon-to-be-canceled Person of Interest wasn't particularly good either last season.

Sounds like typical cannon fodder programming. I predict ultra-dramatic fast cuts and epic soundtrackz. And Very Deep storylines.

Why do you expect that? Is it like that in the books?

Sadly, the soon-to-be-canceled Person of Interest wasn't particularly good either last season.

My attention drifted from that as well. I feel like my CBS jabs always get your attention, haha; I am sorry if it's a crass dismissal of programming you enjoy!

Sounds like typical cannon fodder programming. I predict ultra-dramatic fast cuts and epic soundtrackz. And Very Deep storylines.

Why do you expect that? Is it like that in the books?

I don't know, but is there any reason to think it'll be exceptional? We know how the subject matter typically gets treated, it's Spike TV... there doesn't seem to be much going for it. There's a ton of expendable scifi television these days. Think this'll be any different?

there doesn't seem to be much going for it.

It sounded good to me because it's an adaptation of:

"The best novel on the colonization of Mars that has ever been written." - Arthur C. Clarke

My attention drifted from that as well. I feel like my CBS jabs always get your attention, haha; I am sorry if it's a crass dismissal of programming you enjoy!

Not at all. I do like well-made procedurals, probably more than most. CBS has a few under its belt, but not many.

there doesn't seem to be much going for it.

It sounded good to me because it's an adaptation of:

"The best novel on the colonization of Mars that has ever been written." - Arthur C. Clarke

Well a Clarke endorsement doesn't hurt, but Syfy is adapting one of his own best works and chances are it will be disappointing. Good source material is meaningless in the hands of clumsy interpreters. We'll see!

Rewatching Breaking Bad with someone who hasn't seen it before, we're midway through season 3 and have just finished the FLY episode, and I still think it's the worst episode of the lot. There's some important dialogue between Walt and Jesse towards the end, but the whole premise of the episode is stupid and worse... just boring. Walt's overreaction to the "contaminant" only manages to irritate me and it doesn't convince in the slightest. An odd mistep.

Fly is one of the absolute best episodes of Breaking Bad. I think it requires a lot more patience than casual viewers of Breaking Bad, who are more interested in the shows shocking plot developments than sublime acting, directing, cinematography, etc., but it's a masterful hour of television nonetheless.

I find bottle episodes consistently being my favorites of their respective series. "Fly", "The Suitcase" from Mad Men, "Unfinished Business" from BSG, etc. Ironically, they tend to allow for the most artistic creativity from their film makers.

casual viewers of Breaking Bad, who are more interested in the shows shocking plot developments than sublime acting, directing, cinematography

What a load of drivel.

It's a nice bottle episode, certainly not bad, but I don't count it as one of my favorites.

I count it as the episode where Cranston's performance delved into hammy territory. He's OTT in this episode, I find it jarring to watch. He only settles down really from the point Jesse spikes his coffee. That's where BB regains its typical refinement again. As such, the episode cannot be skipped, because the dialogue and progress between Walt and Jesse in the later second half (Jesse's aunt; Walt's retelling of his meeting with Jane's dad, his guilt and regret over her death; his 'perfect' time to die; his warning advice to Jesse about the yields) are vital.

Well, Jay and Taikomochi weren't lying. The first two eppies of Hannibal Season 2 are indeed a lot better. In fact, things were improving considerably during the last two eppies of the first season. I especially loved the part of Agent Scully. Gillian Anderson is quite impressive here. Even the Hannibal character is improved. He no longer feels like an odd sidekick to the main character. The whole situation is a lot more interesting now.

hannibal-mosaic_zpsko79g4fa.jpg

Alex

The show doesn't have an actual ending though, does it? That's a big thing for me. I hate to invest in binge watching a show, because I commit fully to it, watching only that show for the duration, only to have it get canceled without a proper finish.

The show doesn't have an actual ending though, does it? That's a big thing for me. I hate to invest in binge watching a show, because I commit fully to it, watching only that show for the duration, only to have it get canceled without a proper finish.

I know what you mean, and I feel the same way. That said, Hannibal has a very satisfying conclusion. Bryan Fuller, the showrunner, has commented about how he never expected the show to get renewed for a second, third, or fourth season, so he ended each season as if it was a series finale. As a result, each season finale feels like a series finale, in a good way.