False Endings

Gruesome Son of a Bitch

So I'm listening to The Adventure Continues and there's a wonderful false ending around the last 30 seconds. This is a fun technique. It fits in a lighthearted piece like this. Another Williams I recall off the top of my head is Chamber of Secrets. There's a darker, more villainous-sounding piece of music. It works in a somewhat tongue-in-cheek sort of way, you know?

Other examples?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Are you talking about some sort of cymbal crash or crescendo that seems to signal a piece's end, but then it goes on? Many pieces have several climaxes within its duration.

I love the false endings from Adventure Continues. They seem like the fullest development of the stop-and-go motion that starts in the title track and continues throughout the rest of the score.

Superman Concert version has a false ending, although this one I dislike.

I love the false endings from Adventure Continues. They seem like the fullest development of the stop-and-go motion that starts in the title track and continues throughout the rest of the score.

I like one of them. The other one sounds too much like an edit.

The End Credits for Revenge of the Sith on the OST might fit this category. It's a good one - I never want that track to end.

It's kind of a rehash of the end credits of A New Hope.

• 1 month later...

It's technical term is Deceptive Cadence:

A false ending is in no way required to be a deceptive cadence. Also, none of the examples people have cited as false endings use a deceptive cadence. Great video, though.

Other Williams false endings would be "The Dance of the Witches/End Credits" from The Witches of Eastwick, "Summon the Heroes", "Catch Me if You Can (Reprise and End Credits)", "End Titles" from Dracula, "End Credits" from E.T. (this is an example of arriving on a deceptive cadence when coming from trumpets playing the 3rd of a V chord), "End Title" from Home Alone and Home Alone 2, "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra" from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade (though this can be argued), and "The Carriage Ride to Thornfield" from Jane Eyre. It can be argued that "The Lost World" and "Across the Stars" follow similar patterns. There are many, many more, but these stand out as the most memorable.

Is that beard real??

It seems to be.

George Marriner Maull's other videos in this Discovery Chat series are pretty interesting to those of us without musical training. He goes to explain very basics of music so that listeners can get more out of it.

The original album version of Raiders Of The Lost Ark (the first track) has a false ending which leads into the more intimate version of The Raiders' March theme. I love that track.

The original album version of Raiders Of The Lost Ark (the first track) has a false ending which leads into the more intimate version of The Raiders' March theme. I love that track.

I think it is the way the End Credits finish in the film. It is replicated in shorter for on DCC expanded album and I agree that it is a brilliant a bit light hearted ending to the piece, winding down softly to a finish and not going out with a bang as one would expect.

I think it is the way the End Credits finish in the film. It is replicated in shorter for on DCC expanded album and I agree that it is a brilliant a bit light hearted ending to the piece, winding down softly to a finish and not going out with a bang as one would expect.

its in the end credits of the corcord re-release. it's and integral part of the end credits from the very beggining, only truncated/re-placed in the ost/1995 DCC.

I know it's an edit, I'm just saying it works better at the beginning.

I agree with Charlie. Even though WIlliams only recorded the March/End Credits cue in one configuration (full version w/ coda), I think the shortened version with coda opening the score and the full version but w/o coda acting as the end credits is a perfect way to present things. I hope that is retained on a future expansion, especially if said future expansion includes a remaster of the original LP, cause then we'll get the full cue w/ coda there anyway

So when you have sessions with cues that are meant to segue into one another, you sort of end up with false endings. Like Temple of Doom or the Harry Potter bootleg. I love that.

• 1 month later...