The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

Maybe it's TV related and not film related?

Is there a major television production with notable scoring that would take many releases to cover?

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well, they've been making Universal Monsters movies since the 1920s guys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_monsters

Franz Waxman's Bride of Frankenstein is certainly good!

Not to mention the score to John Badham's Dracula by a certain JW...

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Maybe it's TV related and not film related?

Is there a major television production with notable scoring that would take many releases to cover?

It seems like the MO for TV releases is "wait and see" kind of stuff - they keep pumping out X-Files releases and Batman the Animated Series releases, but aren't likely to release any more Buffy or Superman The Animated Series releases, for instance, based on sales.

If it's not something that's one-shot, they'd have to be pretty sure and cocky to prep themselves for a series.

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well, they've been making Universal Monsters movies since the 1920s guys

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_monsters

Broadly speaking, but all those patchwork scores of earlier decades...i mean, seriously. Hardly anyone today would shell out any $ for 80 library cues from 'Black Lagoon' or 'Tarantula' but the cue sheets alone would be a total nightmare (Universal regularly stitched together cues from dozens of pictures for their new scores).

'Jaws' and such is out, so the first thing that comes to my mind is 'The Thing', then lots of nothing, then the Sommers stuff again (and 'The Wolfman'). So apart from 'The Mummy', i just don't see the appeal.

Here's another Universal-owned possibility: how about those Amblin animated films (many of them Don Bluth-directed, like The Land Before Time)? I mean, I'm betting an expanded Land Before Time (there's only one cue to add but it's pretty lengthy) would definitely excite a loooot of people so I doubt LLL would downplay it. So maybe it's We're Back! or something. And it'll excite people because of the implication that new complete editions of The Land Before Time and Balto are coming...

Yavar

10 days until the release date. Will we find out what the mystery title is before then, or will it be announced on the day of release like Alien 3 was?

If all goes according to plan, later this week.

:)

Later this week meaning Thursday or friday... June 21 or 22

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=127160&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=3&r=875#bottom

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

So the mystery title/series is big enough to warrant an article in Variety?

What the heck is this thing?

Presumably it's a Burlingame write-up or interview.  Yeah, what kind of release that the label owner qualifies with the "some will say meh" comment gets a Variety article???

My prediction: It's Universal Monsters, specifically starting with the recent The Mummy scores.  First up is Mummy 3 by Edelman, which MV thinks some will say meh, but the article will reveal that Silvestri's Mummy Returns is next and then Goldsmith's Mumnmy after that, possibly with different labels involved releasing diffeent title (kind of like how the 10 Star Trek films got expanded by 5 different specialty labels).

Wow, that's got me stumped. To make Variety that surely means it's one of the big composers or big franchises then, right? Highly doubt they'd write an article for some obscure lost score.

I'm guessing it's not Williams though, purely because I find it unlikely LLL would coincide a new Williams release alongside Varese releasing one (as MM produced both).

I like the theory that this release is the first part of a wider plan. This first score might not be on many wishlists but future releases in the series are comparatively sought-after (like the Goldsmith/Silvestri Mummy scores, as Jay said).

The only thing that makes me think it's not Mummy stuff is that I doubt MV would say a release of theirs would be considered "meh" if it was a score by a composer that was still living that they wanted to keep working with.  That makes me think its a series of older scores (where the composer has passed), and the first one is a lesser entry in the series with bigger titles.

52 minutes ago, Jay said:

My prediction: It's Universal Monsters, specifically starting with the recent The Mummy scores.  First up is Mummy 3 by Edelman, which MV thinks some will say meh, but the article will reveal that Silvestri's Mummy Returns is next and then Goldsmith's Mumnmy after that, possibly with different labels involved releasing diffeent title (kind of like how the 10 Star Trek films got expanded by 5 different specialty labels).

Would that rate a Variety article? Nothing against Stephen Sommers but apart from boffo BO nothing here cries out 'press release' nor is it related to the REAL classic Universal monster and horror movies which by and large didn't feature originial scores.

Dude I'm just speculating.  I have no clue what it is.  Do you have any better ideas?

It's also possible that the Variety article won't be:  "NEW SOUNDTRACK SERIES HOLY COW!"  but more something like "UNIVERSAL CELEBRATES 900 YEARS OF UNIVERSAL MONSTERS" and the article would be about a larger initiative that include Blu-rays, other merch in addition to a soundtrack series.

Who knows.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

It's also possible that the Variety article won't be:  "NEW SOUNDTRACK SERIES HOLY COW!"  but more something like "UNIVERSAL CELEBRATES 900 YEARS OF UNIVERSAL MONSTERS" and the article would be about a larger initiative that include Blu-rays, other merch in addition to a soundtrack series.

Who knows.

Exactly what I was getting at.  You get it.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm still yet to be convinced the third Mummy movie was an actual film released in theaters.  Prove it happened!

Well I only saw it on DVD and it looked like a direct to video movie and they replaced Rachel Weiss with some lady, so I'd tend to agree.

I think there's a lot of taking things too literally in this. The Variety thing strikes me as a joke, unless it does turn out that they're working on something super amazing. Edit - or as mentioned, it's part of a wider anniversary thing.

I also reckon the awesome vs meh thing is just MV's way of saying some will like it, and some won't, just like any release. I rather like it - rather than putting his PR hat on and saying 'everything is awesome!' in a rosy-tinted manner. Although I agree it means this particular release won't be a massive title.

As for what it is.... god knows. I hope it's not the Mummy series, simply because I think the iso score and boots of the first two make expansions way less important than they could be. Maybe the logo/branding stuff is the 'Universal Monsters' stuff that applies to films currently in production.

Why would the Variety thing be a joke?  Jon Burlingame reports on film music news every week there.  Variety publishes articles on a lot of boring things nobody cares about, it's not like some super special publication that only reports on exciting things. 

4 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Well I only saw it on DVD and it looked like a direct to video movie and they replaced Rachel Weiss with some lady, so I'd tend to agree.

I'm pretty sure you're the first person who's confirmed to me that they actually saw it.  Are you sure it wasn't a hallucination?

A hallucination sounds more fun!

I'd attribute it to a loss of Stephen Sommers as director, but Sommers was directing turds like Van Helsing and GI Joe after his two Mummy movies, so they might have just been lightning in a bottle.

You don't consider Maria Bello a fairly big name?  She was in Coyote Ugly, The Cooler, History of Violence, Prisoners, etc etc

No I wouldn't say she's even close to a big name. 

First name people think of when they think of those movies:

Coyote Ugly: Tyra Banks

The Cooler:  this is a movie?

History of Violence: Viggo Mortensen, maybe Ed Harris

Prisoners: Hugh Jackman

Also, these aren't exactly huge, remembered movies.  Coyote Ugly is VH1 Remember the 00s territory, if that were still a thing.  And the latter two were arthouse/critical hits.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

You don't consider Maria Bello a fairly big name?  She was in Coyote Ugly, The Cooler, History of Violence, Prisoners, etc etc

She's a good, jobbing actor, to be sure, but she'll never measure-up to our Rachel :)

I always confuse her with Marisa Tomei.

Bello is fine!  Fills out supporting roles well enough.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I think Rachel Weiss acted quite badly in The Mummy.

Shut your dirty mouth!  She was charming as heck!

You've never seen The Cooler?  Baldwin was nominated for Oscar for it, and William H Macy and Maria Bello should have been!

Huh.  I definitely thought she was pretty well known.  When she showed up in History of Violence I wasn't like "who's this new person?", I was like "cool, Maria Bello!"

Haven't Universal abandoned their idiotic "Monsters Universe" idea anyway, after the new Mummy reboot was a dismal box-office disaster?

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Huh.  I definitely thought she was pretty well known.  When she showed up in History of Violence I wasn't like "who's this new person?", I was like "cool, Maria Bello!"

She's an actress begging for a juicy supporting role on some prestige TV show on AMC or Showtime or something.  That's about the level I'd say she's at.

Well, she stars in NCIS now, as well as the next season of Walking Dead.  I don't watch either show

50 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

She was great in that movie.  Funny and charming.  A breakout performance!  She of course went on to much much stronger dramatic work.

Her makeup was too much.