Howard Shore - Ask Me Anything (Reddit AMA 12/9/14)

Lewya

Shore says about Beorn's material in BOTFA:

There is a bit of Beorn (without giving it away too much).

Barny = Lindele ?

No. Barny = Shagrat. Lindele is on TORN.

Ah! Inspirations. As a young composer living in Toronto, in the 1960's, I had access to a really wonderful music library, so it introduced me to music from all over the world. And I was interested in how stories were told by different composers in different cultures - how Tōru Takemitsu used music to tell stories in Japanese films was very different than how Nina Rota told stories in Italian films, and then I listened to Georges Delerue... as a young composer, I was interested in how music was used in different cultures.

Fascinating

Shore says about Beorn's material in BOTFA:

There is a bit of Beorn (without giving it away too much).

I JUST said that above you! ;)

Is this just for an hour?

[–]Lindele 2 points

29 minutes ago

Thank you for giving us this incredible 6 film opera...it has been such an inspiration in my life.

-Can you explain the absence of the Misty Mountain theme in the second two Hobbit films?

I for one, would spend any amount to get the Complete Recordings for The Hobbit! Even if there is just a little bit more than what the Special Editions had to offer...can't get enough!

[–]Howard_Shore[S] 1 point

just now

I think that theme had to do with the quest of the Dwarf Group, and was very much related to the story of An Unexpected Journey. And I think I answered that earlier.

Well, he made me look stupid. Guess I should've asked a better question!

And what his dreams are like.

[–]Lindele 2 points

29 minutes ago

Thank you for giving us this incredible 6 film opera...it has been such an inspiration in my life.

-Can you explain the absence of the Misty Mountain theme in the second two Hobbit films?

I for one, would spend any amount to get the Complete Recordings for The Hobbit! Even if there is just a little bit more than what the Special Editions had to offer...can't get enough!

just now

I think that theme had to do with the quest of the Dwarf Group, and was very much related to the story of An Unexpected Journey. And I think I answered that earlier.

So Lindele = David Ferry Jr.? ;)

Or:

Hi Howard Shore. I really love the music you do for the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. They are truly inspiring soundtracks. My question for you: In the Lord of the Rings, there seemed like there was music in the background that could be described as the overall theme for the Fellowship. It seemed that would be the case with the Company of 13 with the orchestral version of The Misty Mountains in An Unexpected Journey. However, it never made a reappearance in Desolation of Smaug. Why is that? Or is there a different piece that you label as the theme of the Company?

And what his dreams are like.

[–]Lindele 2 points

29 minutes ago

just now

So Lindele = David Ferry Jr.? ;)

busted

Hahaha!

What's my favorite kind of pizza?

Hahaha!

Black olives and green peppers.

Insightful!

Well there ya go. It`s just an AUJ theme.

I don't buy it!

If he answers to this question, this should be interesting:

[–]tiagorangel 1 point

16 minutes ago

Hello from Brazil, Howard! I'm a big fan of you, especially your scores for The Lord of the Rings! The Hobbit ones are pretty good too. However, I do have some questions about the scores of the new Middle-Earth trilogy: why do there is so many differences between the music heard on the An Unexpected Journey CD and the film? I think that everyone that watched the movie noticed the inclusion of the Ringwraiths theme on the battle between Thorin and Azog, nearly the end of the movie. And there's a lot of themes on the album that we didn't hear on the film (Bilbo's Heroics and Radagast's', for example), while on the motion picture there's an overuse of the Misty Mountains theme. Another question: why you decide no to orchestrate and conduct the London Philharmonic, like in the other four Middle-Earth movies, on Desolation of Smaug and The Battle of the Five Armies? I mean, Conrad Pope and the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra did a fine job, but I want to know what happened for the recording sessions take place on Wellington and not on London.

Or even better:

[–]mtrougeau 1 point

9 minutes ago

Hi Mr. Shore! There are several thematic ideas in An Unexpected Journey that we don't hear in the later films (The Misty Mountains/Company theme, some of Bilbo's themes.) Additionally, there are quite a few statements of Bilbo's theme on the CD release that are replaced in the film with the Shire theme. My question for you is: would Howard Shore's version of the Hobbit movies sound different than Peter Jackson's? Thanks!!

If enough of us like those posts, they`ll grab his attention!

Of course:

Once I've finished a piece, mastered the recordings, I don't go back and listen to them, I'm always going forward.

When you write music, you actually dream about it. You can see the pages going by in your sleep.

Deep.

The CD release of An Unexpected Journey is very complete, I think.

Wrong, Howard! Some should tell me NOW! It's not too late!

Someone should link him to Jay's cue list ;)

Hahaha!

What's my favorite kind of pizza?

Hahaha!

Black olives and green peppers.

Insightful!

Well there ya go. It`s just an AUJ theme.

I don't buy it!

If he answers to this question, this should be interesting:

[–]tiagorangel 1 point

16 minutes ago

Hello from Brazil, Howard! I'm a big fan of you, especially your scores for The Lord of the Rings! The Hobbit ones are pretty good too. However, I do have some questions about the scores of the new Middle-Earth trilogy: why do there is so many differences between the music heard on the An Unexpected Journey CD and the film? I think that everyone that watched the movie noticed the inclusion of the Ringwraiths theme on the battle between Thorin and Azog, nearly the end of the movie. And there's a lot of themes on the album that we didn't hear on the film (Bilbo's Heroics and Radagast's', for example), while on the motion picture there's an overuse of the Misty Mountains theme. Another question: why you decide no to orchestrate and conduct the London Philharmonic, like in the other four Middle-Earth movies, on Desolation of Smaug and The Battle of the Five Armies? I mean, Conrad Pope and the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra did a fine job, but I want to know what happened for the recording sessions take place on Wellington and not on London.

Or even better:

[–]mtrougeau 1 point

9 minutes ago

Hi Mr. Shore! There are several thematic ideas in An Unexpected Journey that we don't hear in the later films (The Misty Mountains/Company theme, some of Bilbo's themes.) Additionally, there are quite a few statements of Bilbo's theme on the CD release that are replaced in the film with the Shire theme. My question for you is: would Howard Shore's version of the Hobbit movies sound different than Peter Jackson's? Thanks!!

If enough of us like those posts, they`ll grab his attention!

That last question was mine. :)

Someone asked about a symphony or collection of pieces based on other Tolkien works: There are concert version of a LOT of the music I've written for the Trilogy. There are concerts coming up at Lincoln Center in New York in April for the complete trilogy, all of the works from LOTR.

And I don't know. I'm happy to complete the six films that we've worked on in Middle Earth, and going forward I couldn't really say, although I don't really tire of working within Tolkien's world. I find it a really interesting, fascinating and inspiring place to live and work.

That last question was mine. :)

Let's hope he answers it, because I'd be very much interested in the answer!

I would too, but I don't think he'll touch that question with a 39 and a half foot pole......

However, I hope he answers my other question about not conducting/not using the LPO for the last 2 films....

[–]scathatheworm 1 point

17 minutes ago

Hi Howard I am currently studying for an exam tomorow and your lotr score is a real help.

I remember when I first watched dogma, I thought I heard one of the elven themes from lotr near the end, I looked on the DVD case and saw that you scores that movie. Dogma was released in 1999, FotR in 2001. Was I hearing things?

Thanks

Edit for manners

[–]Howard_Shore[S] 3 points

13 minutes ago

I don't know. I mean, Dogma was written before Fellowship of the Rings, of course. Could there be something in the end of that movie? I really don't know. There wasn't a conscious decision, I can tell you, to connect those two. But I'm glad you're enjoying the scores, and good luck on the exam tomorrow! I'm glad the music is helping you study. It's tuning up your brain.

ROTFLMAO

A Silmarilion Symphony is essential IMO.

[–]scathatheworm 1 point

17 minutes ago

Hi Howard I am currently studying for an exam tomorow and your lotr score is a real help.

I remember when I first watched dogma, I thought I heard one of the elven themes from lotr near the end, I looked on the DVD case and saw that you scores that movie. Dogma was released in 1999, FotR in 2001. Was I hearing things?

Thanks

Edit for manners

[–]Howard_Shore[S] 3 points

13 minutes ago

I don't know. I mean, Dogma was written before Fellowship of the Rings, of course. Could there be something in the end of that movie? I really don't know. There wasn't a conscious decision, I can tell you, to connect those two. But I'm glad you're enjoying the scores, and good luck on the exam tomorrow! I'm glad the music is helping you study. It's tuning up your brain.

ROTFLMAO

Shore be trolling.

Someone should ask him if there is any truth to the rumours that he was physically ejected from Wellington Town Hall and had his baton torn from his grasp by Sir Conrad of Pope when he refused to do reprise the Revelation of the Ringwraiths yet again for Thorin vs Azog II in BOTFA

[–]captainrothigans 3 points

9 minutes ago

Howard, I loved your score for the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy. Some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard in a movie.

My question to you is why was the Ringwraith theme played during the Thorin vs. Azog fight in An Unexpected Journey?

just now

It was showing the connection to evil.

And the relationship of these characters to Sauron.

I love Mahler AND Strauss, so it's hard to pick one.

I mentioned a few contemporary composers which I think are great - Niko Muhle, Christopher Rouse, John Corigliano...

I'm enjoying Shostakovich's 8th Symphony right now. And I'm always interested and enjoy Wagner.

Nice.

[–]captainrothigans 3 points

9 minutes ago

Howard, I loved your score for the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy. Some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard in a movie.

My question to you is why was the Ringwraith theme played during the Thorin vs. Azog fight in An Unexpected Journey?

just now

It was showing the connection to evil.

And the relationship of these characters to Sauron.

BULLSHIT answer.

He should have just not answered it.

Someone should ask him if there is any truth to the rumours that he was physically ejected from Wellington Town Hall and had his baton torn from his grasp by Sir Conrad of Pope when he refused to do reprise the Revelation of the Ringwraiths yet again for Thorin vs Azog II in BOTFA

Okay. I just asked that for you.

Great. Let's see him provide some bullshit tippy-tappy NDA answer for this one.

DNDA.

[–]Adervae 1 point

4 minutes ago

I really liked the themes for Bilbo that appeared in the entirety of the cue "Dreaming of Bag End" from An Unexpected Journey. Is there any reason why you decided to not carry on this theme (and other themes) to the other two Hobbit scores?

Also, what was the reason that you did not orchestrate the final two scores and had them preformed by New Zealand Symphony Orchestra instead of the London Philharmonic Orchestra?

a minute ago

I think fragments of it did play a part in Battle of the Five Armies?

I'm not sure if you heard any of it in Desolation of Smaug.

But there may have been motifs of it in the last film.

That had a lot to do with just how the post production had changed from The Lord of the Rings where the scores were produced in London with Peter in London at that time, and these films and these scores were being produced in a different post-production world where Peter had to be in New Zealand, so it was really a question of changing the post production schedules and geography, the connection to London, London to Wellington, and New York to Wellington.

DNDA.

He`s worse than Doug! At least Doug can wax poetry and avoid the question in an elegant fashion!

If you don`t have the balls to point fingers Howie, then don`t answer the stupid question!

[–]Adervae 1 point

4 minutes ago

I really liked the themes for Bilbo that appeared in the entirety of the cue "Dreaming of Bag End" from An Unexpected Journey. Is there any reason why you decided to not carry on this theme (and other themes) to the other two Hobbit scores?

Also, what was the reason that you did not orchestrate the final two scores and had them preformed by New Zealand Symphony Orchestra instead of the London Philharmonic Orchestra?

a minute ago

I think fragments of it did play a part in Battle of the Five Armies?

I'm not sure if you heard any of it in Desolation of Smaug.

But there may have been motifs of it in the last film.

That had a lot to do with just how the post production had changed from The Lord of the Rings where the scores were produced in London with Peter in London at that time, and these films and these scores were being produced in a different post-production world where Peter had to be in New Zealand, so it was really a question of changing the post production schedules and geography, the connection to London, London to Wellington, and New York to Wellington.

DNDA.

He`s worse than Doug! At least Doug can wax poetry and avoid the question in an elegant fashion!

But you do know that was not shore's answer right?

[–]CatapaulonitDude 0 points

9 minutes ago

I got hit by a bus today, could you say something to make me feel better? Huge fan!

just now

Oh, I'm so sorry! I hope you're okay.

Goodness....