Films You Will Never Watch Again

Mr. Brown

I hated 2001 when I first saw it (I was 15 at the time). I love it now, but I'm still not sure if its my favourite of Kubrick's works.

Werent you 15 like...6 months ago?

Close. 3 years ago.

What is there to "get" in Fantasia?

that it's a film with great aesthetics...

What exactly did your students think of it?

They didn't think anything..

They were talking all the time, criticizing everything, etc. etc..

Another time in another school they were laughing, and mocking the film..

I expected of them to be dazzled and just watch the film speechless..(like I did the first time)

I guess it was too much to ask at this age of internet etc..

Don't blame the internet. Not everything is the fault of the internet.

Blame moronic, soulless, artless, clueless parents who don't give their children a bit of reason to comport themselves with any kind of decency.

The internet (and recent technology) is to be blamed generally for many things because children have been accustomed to "quick information", so they never have the patience to watch or listen to something and just "take it in".

If they watch something it should have the editing of an advertisement (so that they won't get bored), or if they were to listen to something it should be in a quick tempo and strong beat (otherwise it's mournful)

It's a film you need to watch from a very early age. For me it was 2.

Hmm, what do you mean by that? I think a lot of kids are kind of perplexed by it, though in different ways. Personally, I did see it very early but it was never one of my big childhood favorites, outside of the "Sorcerer's Apprentice" segment. I didn't find my appreciation for it until later on.

What is there to "get" in Fantasia?

that it's a film with great aesthetics...

What exactly did your students think of it?

They didn't think anything..

They were talking all the time, criticizing everything, etc. etc..

Another time in another school they were laughing, and mocking the film..

I expected of them to be dazzled and just watch the film speechless..(like I did the first time)

I guess it was too much to ask at this age of internet etc..

Don't blame the internet. Not everything is the fault of the internet.

Blame moronic, soulless, artless, clueless parents who don't give their children a bit of reason to comport themselves with any kind of decency.

The internet (and recent technology) is to be blamed generally for many things because children have been accustomed to "quick information", so they never have the patience to watch or listen to something and just "take it in".

If they watch something it should have the editing of an advertisement (so that they won't get bored), or if they were to listen to something it should be in a quick tempo and strong beat (otherwise it's mournful)

There is some truth to this, beyond your usual predilection for disparaging the present. ;)

An American Tail (the sequel Fievel Goes West was way better)

Howard the Duck

Labyrinth and Dark Crystal (I love Jim Henson's creativity, just not the dark side of it)

Any of the Three Ninjas films (P.S. the screenwriter for the first film is now a Theater Arts professor at my university)

An American Tail (the sequel Fievel Goes West was way better)

Howard the Duck

Labyrinth and Dark Crystal (I love Jim Henson's creativity, just not the dark side of it)

Any of the Three Ninjas films (P.S. the screenwriter for the first film is now a Theater Arts professor at my university)

i LOVE Labyrinth and An American Tail!

Anyway, just wanted to add:

Star Wars trilogy (special editions)

Heh - I hasten to add I didn't watch them in a row, Hilly. Just the first 4 that sprang to mind in the 'will never watch again' category.

Just as well, might've done yourself a nasty injury.

Honestly can't think of a film I won't watch again. Quantum of Solace might be perilously close to it.

Please relieve the tension on this board and tell us that you're referring to the prequel trilogy.

Unless he was implying that the special editions are too tainted, and that watching the unholy prequel trilogy is somehow better than spending time with that smutty and impure rubbish

But....probably just a typo.

It's a mix good and bad movies, so bear with me:

The Wolf of Wall Street

Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie

12 Years a Slave

Shame

The Other Woman

Star Wars prequels

Manos: The Hands of Fate

The Shining

That's My Boy

God's Not Dead

Transformers

A Clockwork Orange

Salo

Please relieve the tension on this board and tell us that you're referring to the prequel trilogy.

I would think he means the original trilogy with "revisions."

Yes, exactly!

Also, besides the VHS the original unaltered trilogy has been released in non-anamorphic DVDs:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Two-Disc-Widescreen-Theatrical/dp/B000FQJAIW/ref=sr_1_6?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1399707203&sr=1-6&keywords=star+wars

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Versions-Two-Disc-Widescreen/dp/B000FQJAJG/ref=sr_1_14?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1399707203&sr=1-14&keywords=star+wars

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Versions-Two-Disc-Widescreen/dp/B000FQVX78/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1399707393&sr=1-1&keywords=return+of+the+jedi+theatrical

See how expensive they are! It's because these films (the original versions) are becoming extinct...

The Wolf of Wall Street

12 Years a Slave

Shame

The Other Woman

Star Wars prequels

The Shining

That's My Boy

God's Not Dead

Transformers

A Clockwork Orange

Salo

Care to elaborate on the more critically acclaimed ones?

Transformers on Matt C's list reminds me ... I thought the first film was fun for what it was, but Revenge Of The Fallen was HORRIBLE - like being slapped around the head whilst also being screamed at by angry appliances for 150 minutes. I'll gladly put it on the 'never watch again' list.

The Wolf of Wall Street

12 Years a Slave

Shame

The Other Woman

Star Wars prequels

The Shining

That's My Boy

God's Not Dead

Transformers

A Clockwork Orange

Salo

Care to elaborate on the more critically acclaimed ones?

Films like A Clockwork Orange and 12 Years A Slave are incredibly well-made films, but I just don't have the urge to revisit them, ever. One viewing's enough for me.

It was a messy farce but at least it got by in a breeze, something you couldn't say for the clumsy 1941. Back when we had the then-german equivalent of Sky i often watched current movies after school and i remember even at this early age that watching movies scored by Jerry Goldsmith required extreme caution. Case-in-point:

NOT WITHOUT MY DAUGHTER

MOM AND DAD SAVE THE WORLD

BAD GIRLS

With wee 16 years, i found nothing wrong with STRIKING DISTANCE but those did strike me as kinda bad even then.

The word 'obnoxious' was invented to describe it.

In my defense I can say the only other Michael Bay I've ever watched was Armageddon. At the age of 13.

Karol

• 5 weeks later...

Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines

Terminator Salvation

DOOM

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

The Mummy: Tomb Of The Dragon Emperor

Lol I remember Doom.

I wish I didn't. As far as video game adaptions go, I think the only one that is worse would be Super Mario Bros. And thankfully I've never seen that one. Video game adaptions are usually horrible.

Yeah there's some weird curse with those. I had hope for Verbinksi's BioShock but it never happened.

I would never call Super Mario Bros. a good film but I find it enjoyable. I mean, it's live action Mario in the weirdest craziest way imaginable, an LSD trip worth taking once. Doom was funny just for its ridiculous FPS scene.

Yeah, I can't believe they want to do video games in film format. I'm less apprehensive about TV series adaptions though. Sonic's next, soo we shall see if he's better suited to the big or small screen.

one that struck me the other day, I've not seen it since (in years) but The Avengers. No, not the superheroes, the other superheroes John Steed and Mrs Peel.

Once was enough.