The Empire Strikes Back

Balahkay

I gave this score another listen earlier today and it always takes my breath away no matter how times I hear it. Why didn't Williams take home the Oscar for this score? Did he have too many Oscars at that time? Was the score not well received back in 1980? Some of the contenders were very good, but ESB is arguably the best score of 1980 and quite possibly one of the greatest ever written. To create a score at least equal to the original Star Wars is quite an achievement...

Don't try to figure out the Oscars' score choices. Gustavo Santaolalla has as many Oscars as Bernard Herrmann, Thomas Newman, Jerry Goldsmith, and Alex North combined. Fame had songs, so it won, just like The Wizard of Oz, Thoroughly Modern Millie, One Night of Love, and some Disney films.

Don't try to figure out the Oscars' score choices. Gustavo Santaolalla has as many Oscars as Bernard Herrmann, Thomas Newman, Jerry Goldsmith, and Alex North combined. Fame had songs, so it won, just like The Wizard of Oz, Thoroughly Modern Millie, One Night of Love, and some Disney films.

QFT!

The Menken Oscars were also mostly deserved, although it really should have been in a category separate from the non-musical contenders.

The Menken Oscars were also mostly deserved, although it really should have been in a category separate from the non-musical contenders.

Agreed. His music is really amazing, especially when you listen to it in expanded form. "Beauty and the Beast" is my favorite animated film score. I also think he should have won for "Hunchback."

Don't try to figure out the Oscars' score choices.

You're probably right. I would have voted for you if I was old enough. I guess Williams can't win them all in the same way Meryl Streep can't.

Yeah but The Wizard of Oz has a great score.

Yes, it's a great score. But it won in the "original score" category instead of the "scoring" category, and Stothart's score (magnificent and beautifully orchestrated as it is) leans heavily on Harold Arlen's songs, as well as pieces by Mendelssohn and Mussorgsky. It's too bad that Prokofiev's outstanding score for Alexander Nevsky wasn't nominated that year.

I think Menken's best score is the one he didn't win for: The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I don't really object to most of Menken's wins (although Goldsmith really should have won over Aladdin for Basic Instinct). I was just pointing out that Menken's wins (and Zimmer's for The Lion King) are probably attributable to the fact that he was scoring popular musicals. Academy voters often seem to think musicals = Best Original Score & Best Sound Mixing Oscars. I think that's why Stothart probably won for The Wizard of Oz in a year in which Gone with the Wind was so dominant.

He'd just won it for Star Wars, maybe regular academy members didn't see the nuances of TESB

He should have won for Superman or Raiders though, if you had to give him one more Oscar from 1975-1985

I also think when a film has catchy songs, the academy members can't separate it from the score and give it the best score Oscar (Menken)

Yeah but The Wizard of Oz has a great score.

Yes, it's a great score. But it won in the "original score" category instead of the "scoring" category, and Stothart's score (magnificent and beautifully orchestrated as it is) leans heavily on Harold Arlen's songs, as well as pieces by Mendelssohn and Mussorgsky. It's too bad that Prokofiev's outstanding score for Alexander Nevsky wasn't nominated that year.

I think Menken's best score is the one he didn't win for: The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I don't really object to most of Menken's wins (although Goldsmith really should have won over Aladdin for Basic Instinct). I was just pointing out that Menken's wins (and Zimmer's for The Lion King) are probably attributable to the fact that he was scoring popular musicals. Academy voters often seem to think musicals = Best Original Score & Best Sound Mixing Oscars. I think that's why Stothart probably won for The Wizard of Oz in a year in which Gone with the Wind was so dominant.

Agreed 100% (except I haven't heard Basic Instinct)!

I gave this score another listen earlier today and it always takes my breath away no matter how times I hear it. Why didn't Williams take home the Oscar for this score? Did he have too many Oscars at that time? Was the score not well received back in 1980? Some of the contenders were very good, but ESB is arguably the best score of 1980 and quite possibly one of the greatest ever written. To create a score at least equal to the original Star Wars is quite an achievement...

No score by JW is regarded higher at this site.

I agree on the supremacy of ESB and on it being most probably the best film score of all times. The first Star Wars and E. T. are close contenders.

Every now and then we have a "best JW score" poll and ESB is always the victor. That being said, E.T. usually occupies the top spot for my personal favorite.

While I love Empire, I find it a bit overrated...somehow. A favorite, sure. But sometimes, I wonder. Even in the universe of John Williams scores, is it really better than Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Superman or E.T.?

While I love Empire, I find it a bit overrated...somehow. A favorite, sure. But sometimes, I wonder. Even in the universe of John Williams scores, is it really better than Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Superman or E.T.?

All these scores are practically perfect, considering also the movies they were written for. By coincidence I am listening to E. T. again in these days after quite a long time, and it has "genius" written all over it. I just find that, for me, listening to ESB separated from the movie is a (slightly) more satisfying emotional and dramatic experience. These aspects are of course due also to the movies that inspired these compositions. There is no question in my mind about the fact that all of these scores are musical masterpieces that show a display of technical skills and inventiveness comparable to those of the greatest composers.

All of those scores are so good that I consider them equal in greatness. I would also include Return of the Jedi and Raiders of the Lost Ark in that list.

The scope and epicness of TESB outclasses all those other ones mentioned .It's like there's not a wasted note in the entire score

QFT!

The scope and epicness of TESB outclasses all those other ones mentioned .It's like there's not a wasted note in the entire score

QFT!

TESB has that in common with several JW scores of that era. Superman and Raiders are also really big scores, but beatifully functional without a single wasted note, chord or bit of orchestration.

Totally disagree with you there. Raiders is maybe like that, but definitely not Superman.

Where the hell is Joey to back me up?

Will I do? :)

E.T. is the best score Williams has ever written and perhaps the best score generally!

If anyone listens to the complete score (without the visuals) it has a perfect structure, with great development, and tight unity among its themes.

I'm really not as huge a fan of the Superman score as many people here are. It wouldn't even crack my top 10 Williams scores, maybe not even my top 20. Like the movie, I love the opening Krypton stuff, the Smallville stuff, the Fortress of Solitude sequence, and the beginning of the Metropolis sequence. Then after that my interest significantly starts to wane. The second and third acts of the film and score don't live up to the first for me. The first act is brilliant, though.

Superman isn't in your top twenty, while your number one is, what, Hook? You might want to campaign extra good when the next moderator elections are held.

Sent from my XT1058

I'm really not as huge a fan of the Superman score as many people here are. It wouldn't even crack my top 10 Williams scores, maybe not even my top 20. Like the movie, I love the opening Krypton stuff, the Smallville stuff, the Fortress of Solitude sequence, and the beginning of the Metropolis sequence. Then after that my interest significantly starts to wane. The second and third acts of the film and score don't live up to the first for me. The first act is brilliant, though.

I agree. Why didn't Donner make the whole movie about farms and fields?

Superman isn't in your top twenty, while your number one is, what, Hook? You might want to campaign extra good when the next moderator elections are held.

Sent from my XT1058

My #1 vacillates between Hook and TESB.

Gotta agree with Jason about Superman. End Credits, alternates and concert suites aside, there's hardly anything on discs 2 or 8 of the Blue Box that I consider truly essential or mind-blowing. It's just not as interesting as the first half of the score. And I'm sorry, but there are dead spots in every presentation of E.T. aside from the original LP. TESB on the other hand, is truly brilliant from start to finish no matter which release you're listening to.

There is no track in SW or TESB I'd consider skipping. Even ROTJ has some skippable music (the music before and after the Rancor battle)

They are both great.

The second one actually plays in the film for way longer than the first track does

The only Williams music I consider skippable are his scores between 1994 and 1998 (even Saving Private Ryan and The Lost World) except for possibly "Stepmom," which I've been warming up to after viewing the film again and subsequent soundtrack listens.

Thats nog the point!

I'm really not as huge a fan of the Superman score as many people here are.  It wouldn't even crack my top 10 Williams scores, maybe not even my top 20.  Like the movie, I love the opening Krypton stuff, the Smallville stuff, the Fortress of Solitude sequence, and the beginning of the Metropolis sequence.  Then after that my interest significantly starts to wane.  The second and third acts of the film and score don't live up to the first for me.  The first act is brilliant, though.

Thats nog the point!

This isn't the Deep Space Nine thread!

TESB on the other hand, is truly brilliant from start to finish no matter which release you're listening to.

Only if you like the Imperial March.

Maybe its a problem with your interest?

I'm with Jason on this - the last part of the score doesn't have a whole lot to offer for me, as far as listening on album goes. I love the Superman March but don't need to hear variations of it for 30 minutes. Love everything up through The Flying Sequence, though, so much that Superman would most likely crack my top 10 Williams.

I love the Superman March but don't need to hear variations of it for 30 minutes.

Thankfully there are other themes in those 30 minutes.

Gotta agree with Jason about Superman. End Credits, alternates and concert suites aside, there's hardly anything on discs 2 or 8 of the Blue Box that I consider truly essential or mind-blowing. It's just not as interesting as the first half of the score. And I'm sorry, but there are dead spots in every presentation of E.T. aside from the original LP. TESB on the other hand, is truly brilliant from start to finish no matter which release you're listening to.

Dead spots, what the fuck did I just read? So you're saying everything from The Truck Convoy to the end titles of Superman (including March of the Villains and the love theme) is not essential or mind-blowing?