How will John Williams die?

How will John Williams die?  

56 members have voted

1. 1.

• Heart ripped out in thuggee ceremony
    • Throat crushed by Darth Vader
    • Blown Up by Amy Irving
    • Killed by Bruce The Shark leaping on his boat swallowing him whole.
    • Face melts when opening the Ark
    • Melted away after touching head of small boy in Hogwarts basement.
    • Traveling back in time and shot while trying to catch guy at grassy knoll in Dallas
    • Devoured by T-Rex while sitting in outhouse.
    • Shot by diarrhea suffering Harrison Ford
    • Death by William Ross tooth jabbed through Chamber Of Secrets sheetmusic.
    • Skinny dipping at night, eaten by Great white.
    • Skinny dipping at daytime, impaled by Japanese periscope
    • Killed by Goldsmith for conducting Star Trek: The Motion Picture theme to damn slow.
    • Killed by Boston Pops Orchestra for having them play the Star Wars theme yet again.
    • Death by heart attack after learning who will score The Color Purple.
    • Dies of heart attack upon learning so many alternate takes were used for Star Wars in the Star Wars Anthology box set
    • Mistakenly takes pills meant for a goat.
    • Natural causes.
    • Other (specify)

Pox diseases and other diseases like ebola and Marburg are especially scary becuase they are programed to make your body explode (this is how they spread).

Well, I know pi that you know this, but the way that is worded really makes it sound scary, but to those who don't know, this type of viral spreading doesn't involve making your body explode, but just makes individual cells in your body explode. When the virus injects its DNA into the cell, and after it gets incorporated into the cells genome, hundreds of viruses are made within the cell, until the host cell pretty much fills up and bursts out hundreds of viruses, each one capable of attatching to another cell.

• 2 years later...
I haven't laughed so much in ages LOL

Goed gedaan, hoor! :huh:

What kind of moon-man language is that?

Btw can we close this thread?

"He's alive....and in perfect hibernation."

JW_carbonite_done.jpg

Do you still have this image? I missed this one.

That's the John Williams in carbonite pic, isn't it? Classic.

EDIT- Ha! And KM strangling Williams, and Steef in orange. Triple classic.

OMG, when John Williams dies, I am going to go through depression! I am going to go hide away in a monastery for a year in mourning. Oh...It's too horrible to think about.

Btw can we close this thread?

What is your problem with it?

"He's alive....and in perfect hibernation."

JW_carbonite_done.jpg

Do you still have this image? I missed this one.

Sadly, I doubt it.

OMG, when John Williams dies, I am going to go through depression! I am going to go hide away in a monastery for a year in mourning. Oh...It's too horrible to think about.

Obviously it will be very, very sad.

But would that not be an overreaction. People die, such is life.

Think of the enourmous legacy he's leaving behind.

You'll probably go deaf first. That'll help :huh:

Wow.

When John Williams ultimately does leave, he won't be forgotten. He'll be remembered through his music, and since so many of the films bearing his scores will be treasured forever, so too will John Williams remain atop the pantheon of 20th/21st century music. That, and he's made some damn catchy tunes in his life.

Besides, monasteries are built on top of mountains in remote places with no electricity. Without electricity, you would not be able to listen to his music (unless you take an old phonograph and some LPs and spin them by hand to produce the sound...how droll).

Will you go for one year and mourn him by not listening to his music?

Well now everything dies baby that's a fact / But maybe everything that dies someday comes back / Put your makeup on, fix your hair up pretty / And meet me tonight in Atlantic City

I'll be sad but hell I've lost people far more important than John.

John Williams will die when he receives a round house kick by Chuck Norris when Norris finds out that Williams' music has been compared to him on the godly scale.

or

He'll have a heart-attack when he realizes we're coming up with ways to kill him.

Or, alternatively, Chuck Norris jokes are no longer funny (hell, they weren't 5 years ago) so he dies slowly and quietly as he fades into obscurity.

Oh wait, we're talking about John Williams?

This does bring something up...

I've noticed in the Goldsmith's later scores, he borrowed ALOT from things he wrote 20 some odd years later (ie: lots of cues from Star Trek: The Motion Picture used in Star Trek: Nemesis). He did it, probably for no other reason than he was so sick that he need to expedite things. And it's not to say the cues didn't work, they did.

But, now, I'm notice Williams is doing that too (part of the Well of the Souls theme used in Crystal Skull)

Are we seeing the end approaching? :lol:

This does bring something up...

I've noticed in the Goldsmith's later scores, he borrowed ALOT from things he wrote 20 some odd years later (ie: lots of cues

But, now, I'm notice Williams is doing that too (part of the Well of the Souls theme used in Crystal Skull)

I noticed that too, there are a lot of "allusions" to other pieces Williams wrote in the past. I was practically picking them out when I was watching the movie.

Whats there to say the mans old, and not as creative as he has been.

I've noticed in the Goldsmith's later scores, he borrowed ALOT from things he wrote 20 some odd years later (ie: lots of cues from Star Trek: The Motion Picture used in Star Trek: Nemesis). He did it, probably for no other reason than he was so sick that he need to expedite things. And it's not to say the cues didn't work, they did.

Are we seeing the end approaching?

I noticed that too, there are a lot of "allusions" to other pieces Williams wrote in the past. I was practically picking them out when I was watching the movie.

Rubbish! I think I've just been trolled, but I'll save this rant for last before I split.

If you are trying to show a lack of creativity on the part of either composer, you picked poor examples.

Jerry Goldsmith re-used themes from Star Trek: The Motion Picture in each of his subsequent films, V, First Contact, Insurrection, and Nemesis. It's to establish continuity and blend the Star Trek musical tapestry together, not to litter the scores with an abundance of unnecessary and unfamiliar new themes each for each outing. The original themes new to each film depict characters or situations unique to that film, for sure, but there is familiarity throughout.

That's why you get the Main Theme recycled for the beginning and end of each Goldsmith Star Trek film. It establishes that no matter what her designation is, NCC-1701, -A, -D (TNG's seven year run counts), or -E, she's still the Enterprise. The Enterprise was the heart and soul of The Motion Picture and deserved that grand theme, and while the ship may not have had the emphasis on-screen in later movies, the theme returned to establish continuity.

Starfleet's theme was heard a few times in The Motion Picture, and had an appearance or two in Nemesis. A four-tone theme emphasized in The Final Frontier returned for First Contact and Nemesis. The Klingon Theme was used in TMP and The Final Frontier when Klingons were the bad guys, but it eventually flip-flopped to become a good guy theme for Worf, to great delight to Trek fans.

And as for Courage's Star Trek fanfare, well, it just wouldn't be Star Trek without it, would it? It's probably the only theme that the other composers (Horner, Rosenmann, Eidelmann, and Dennis McCarthy) had the privilege to use in each of their unique Star Trek scores, since it's not a Goldsmith special.

John Williams has as much right to recycle themes from earlier movies for use in later movies so long as they are part of a larger, cohesive musical whole. He's certainly not lazy for recycling the Raiders March or Marion's Theme, because since those characters reappear, so do their musical themes.

The Ark Theme and other music from the Well of the Souls reappears at the beginning of The Crystal Skull for all the reasons presented in the Indiana Jones sub-forum. It's a plot device to tell the members of the audience (who remember the ending of Raiders well) that we are, in fact, at the same warehouse shown at the end of Raiders. I forget the term, but the plot device is when the audience is made to know something about the plot that the characters don't, sometimes in order to throw the audience for a loop. In this case, we hear the Ark theme and know it's nearby, and think that it will feature into the storyline. It's there, but it doesn't make any impact on the story. It's a way to increase the storytelling beyond someone literally saying "guess what Indy, this is where the Ark of the Covenant is stored" because Indy doesn't know where the Ark ends up. It's a musical gem put there as a nod to the earlier films, for the same reason that the Ark is shown in the Venice catacombs in TLC, as a tidbit for fans of good film scoring. That's not laziness, that's creativity.

Laziness would be giving Mutt Williams the sidekick theme once used by Short Round. Or giving the Russians any of the themes used by the Nazis. Since the love interest was recycled, so too was the love theme, so ya got me there.

Now if Williams had directly lifted themes from Star Wars or Jaws or Always or Monsignor and used them in Indiana Jones, that would be lazy. Unless he could somehow make a witty nod to the audience, like the trick-or-treater dressed up as Yoda in ET getting Yoda's Theme.

Now if you had just said James Horner or Hans Zimmer, I'd have agreed with you. If you don't mind, I'm going to pop in my Titanic/Pirates of the Caribbean mix CD and go home.

One of the last pieces of music he'll hear will be the song "I'm beginning to see the light"

I always thought that Goldsmith reworking of earlier Trek cues in Nemesis (in addition to the usual themes) was a sort of farewell - not only because this was supposedly the "last" Trek movie, but also because Goldsmith probably knew he wouldn't score another one, no matter what. Kinda like Bruckner quotes several of his earlier works in his last two symphonies.

I always thought that Goldsmith reworking of earlier Trek cues in Nemesis (in addition to the usual themes) was a sort of farewell - not only because this was supposedly the "last" Trek movie, but also because Goldsmith probably knew he wouldn't score another one, no matter what. Kinda like Bruckner quotes several of his earlier works in his last two symphonies.

Correct and correct.

At least on the first one, you'd have to tell me about the Bruckner thing. :)

Are we seeing the end approaching?

Rubbish! I think I've just been trolled, but I'll save this rant for last before I split.

If you are trying to show a lack of creativity on the part of either composer, you picked poor examples.

Jerry Goldsmith re-used themes from Star Trek: The Motion Picture in each of his subsequent films, V, First Contact, Insurrection, and Nemesis. It's to establish continuity and blend the Star Trek musical tapestry together, not to litter the scores with an abundance of unnecessary and unfamiliar new themes each for each outing. The original themes new to each film depict characters or situations unique to that film, for sure, but there is familiarity throughout.

That's why you get the Main Theme recycled for the beginning and end of each Goldsmith Star Trek film. It establishes that no matter what her designation is, NCC-1701, -A, -D (TNG's seven year run counts), or -E, she's still the Enterprise. The Enterprise was the heart and soul of The Motion Picture and deserved that grand theme, and while the ship may not have had the emphasis on-screen in later movies, the theme returned to establish continuity.

Starfleet's theme was heard a few times in The Motion Picture, and had an appearance or two in Nemesis. A four-tone theme emphasized in The Final Frontier returned for First Contact and Nemesis. The Klingon Theme was used in TMP and The Final Frontier when Klingons were the bad guys, but it eventually flip-flopped to become a good guy theme for Worf, to great delight to Trek fans.

And as for Courage's Star Trek fanfare, well, it just wouldn't be Star Trek without it, would it? It's probably the only theme that the other composers (Horner, Rosenmann, Eidelmann, and Dennis McCarthy) had the privilege to use in each of their unique Star Trek scores, since it's not a Goldsmith special.

John Williams has as much right to recycle themes from earlier movies for use in later movies so long as they are part of a larger, cohesive musical whole. He's certainly not lazy for recycling the Raiders March or Marion's Theme, because since those characters reappear, so do their musical themes.

The Ark Theme and other music from the Well of the Souls reappears at the beginning of The Crystal Skull for all the reasons presented in the Indiana Jones sub-forum. It's a plot device to tell the members of the audience (who remember the ending of Raiders well) that we are, in fact, at the same warehouse shown at the end of Raiders. I forget the term, but the plot device is when the audience is made to know something about the plot that the characters don't, sometimes in order to throw the audience for a loop. In this case, we hear the Ark theme and know it's nearby, and think that it will feature into the storyline. It's there, but it doesn't make any impact on the story. It's a way to increase the storytelling beyond someone literally saying "guess what Indy, this is where the Ark of the Covenant is stored" because Indy doesn't know where the Ark ends up. It's a musical gem put there as a nod to the earlier films, for the same reason that the Ark is shown in the Venice catacombs in TLC, as a tidbit for fans of good film scoring. That's not laziness, that's creativity.

Laziness would be giving Mutt Williams the sidekick theme once used by Short Round. Or giving the Russians any of the themes used by the Nazis. Since the love interest was recycled, so too was the love theme, so ya got me there.

Now if Williams had directly lifted themes from Star Wars or Jaws or Always or Monsignor and used them in Indiana Jones, that would be lazy. Unless he could somehow make a witty nod to the audience, like the trick-or-treater dressed up as Yoda in ET getting Yoda's Theme.

Now if you had just said James Horner or Hans Zimmer, I'd have agreed with you. If you don't mind, I'm going to pop in my Titanic/Pirates of the Caribbean mix CD and go home.

I love when someone reads but doesn't "READ." I didn't say anything about re-using themes. Of course they're going to reuse themes - thats the purpose of the theme! Tie the stories together.

What I'm talking about is whole cues being lifted from one movie in the series to the next. I'm not pointing out lack of creativity. I'm pointing out the fact these guys old and in the case of Goldsmith, very sick.

Btw, I'd appreciate not being talked down to like a some three year old novice thats still playing on Kodaly instruments. You don't know me and have absolutely NO idea what my music background is. For all you know, I could be playing lead trumpet in the London Symphony. I'm not, but I'd appreciate a little courtesy and respect.

When did this become a ridiculously serious topic?

He's going to die when Imperial forces kill/burn he and his orchestra to death leaving Danny Elfman to have to score the rest of this thing.

This is really funny that a sequel score with 99% new material and a couple reprises of earlier bars of music means that Williams is gonna die any day now. You guys would be really great political talkshow pundits.

What I'm talking about is whole cues being lifted from one movie in the series to the next. I'm not pointing out lack of creativity. I'm pointing out the fact these guys old and in the case of Goldsmith, very sick.

That never happened.

The only time when any music from any other Trek film was used without alteration was a 30 second snippet of The Enterprise.

Also, we have no evidence that Jerry was very sick at the time this score was written. (shut up Joe!)

Btw, I'd appreciate not being talked down to like a some three year old novice thats still playing on Kodaly instruments.

What are Kodaly instruments?

Kodaly looks to be a way for kids to learn music at a young age without learning staff notation, using things like toe-tapping, singing, rhythmic speak, and hand gestures.

You'll probably go deaf first. That'll help :lol:

Haha...

Wow.

When John Williams ultimately does leave, he won't be forgotten. He'll be remembered through his music, and since so many of the films bearing his scores will be treasured forever, so too will John Williams remain atop the pantheon of 20th/21st century music. That, and he's made some damn catchy tunes in his life.

Besides, monasteries are built on top of mountains in remote places with no electricity. Without electricity, you would not be able to listen to his music (unless you take an old phonograph and some LPs and spin them by hand to produce the sound...how droll).

Will you go for one year and mourn him by not listening to his music?

Well now everything dies baby that's a fact / But maybe everything that dies someday comes back / Put your makeup on, fix your hair up pretty / And meet me tonight in Atlantic City

Ah, very true... As far as the monastery goes, I think that description borders just a tad on stereotype :)

• 6 years later...

This thread could get interesting...

K.M.

Could get interesting?

chokejwdone.jpg

King Mark, strangling John Williams because he's doing to many artsy fartsy serious scores with Steven Spielberg.

Can we put this one in the new John Williams Picture Thread?