John Debney's the Passion of the Christ - 2CD Complete Set from La-La Land

Jay

10392584_10152959761643755_3117771317973

THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST: EXPANDED TENTH ANNIVERSARY EDITION: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) LLLCD 1329

Music by John Debney

Limited Edition of 10000 Units

RETAIL PRICE: $24.98

La-La Land Records, Icon Productions and Sony Music proudly present THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST: EXPANDED TENTH ANNIVERSARY EDITION, a deluxe 2-CD SET showcasing the remastered and expanded presentation of acclaimed composer John Debney’s Oscar-Nominated score to the 2004 landmark motion picture event THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST, starring Jim Caviezel, Monica Bellucci and Maia Morgenstern, and directed by Mel Gibson. Remastered from studio elements for superior sound quality, this release features more than 75 minutes of never-before-released music, including alternate cues, the inspiring trailer music and more! The special 10th Anniversary packaging honors one of modern cinema’s most notable scores with a 24-Page CD booklet containing exclusive, in-depth liner notes by film music writer Jeff Bond (featuring all-new quotes from director Mel Gibson, composer John Debney, vocalist Lisbeth Scott and instrumental soloist Pedro Eustache) that take the listener behind this unforgettable film and its glorious music.

THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST score was composed by John Debney and produced by John Debney & Mel Gibson. This tenth anniversary release was produced for La-La Land Records by Dan Goldwasser and executive produced for Sony Entertainment by Didier C. Deutsch. It was mastered by James Nelson and art designed by Dan Goldwasser.

The first 200 customers who purchase the cd directly through the La-La Land Records website will receive an autographed booklet signed by composer John Debney at no extra charge. Quantities are limited and you are NOT guaranteed a signed copy.

www.lalalandrecords.com

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1

1. The Olive Garden**(§§) 4:17

2. Satan Appears* 4:35

3. Jesus Arrested(§)/Mary Awakens Afraid* 5:26

4. Judas Sees Jesus Again*/Caiphas Walks to the Temple* 1:59

5. Carpenter Flashback*/De Toolah de Tabla*(##) 2:17

6. Peter Denies Jesus** 2:56

7. Kids Taunt Judas*/Mary Hears Jesus*/Kids Chase Judas* 3:21

8. Judas Hangs Himself*/Jesus Brought to Pilate*/Jesus Speaks Latin* 3:19

9. Pilate’s Truth*/Uprising* 2:20

10. Pilate Orders Scourging*/Flagellation**(§)/Dark Choir(¶)/Disciples(§) 8:52

11. Mary Wipes Up Blood*/The Stoning(§)/Pilate Washes Hands* 4:51

12. Vast World*(##)/Moment of Truth*(##)/Bearing the Cross**(#) 4:18

13. Mary Goes to Jesus 2:47

14. Song of Complaint** (traditional) 3:07

15. Breath of the Spirit*(##) (contains material not in film) 1:32

16. Peaceful but Primitive(§§)/Procession 3:28

17. Simon Is Dismissed 2:25

DISC TIME: 62:24

DISC 2

1. Crucifixion**(¶¶) [film version]/Raising the Cross(#)/Gesmas Taunts Jesus*(§)/Raven Attacks Gesmas*(§§) 13:13

2. It Is Done**(†) 4:09

3. Jesus Is Carried Down(#) 4:36

4. Resurrection(¶¶)/End Credits* 8:59

BONUS TRACKS

5. Peter Denies Jesus* (alternate) 2:57

6. Peter Denies Jesus** (extended album version) 2:57

7. Bearing the Cross**(#) (extended album version) 4:19

8. Peaceful but Primitive(§§)/Procession (original ending) 3:30

9. Crucifixion* (alternate) 10:37

10. Resurrection**(¶¶) (alternate opening/album ending) 5:07

11. Teaser Trailer Music* 1:03

12. Promotional Trailer Music* 3:47

13. Trailer Music* 2:09

14. Resurrection Choir*(¶¶) 1:58

DISC TIME: 69:51

TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 132:15

* previously unreleased

** contains previously unreleased music

§ composed by John Debney and Shankar and Gingger

§§ composed by John Debney and Jack Lenz

¶ composed by John Debney, Jack Lenz, Shankar and Gingger

¶¶ composed by John Debney, Shankar and Gingger and Lisbeth Scott

# composed by John Debney and Lisbeth Scott

## composed by Jack Lenz

† composed by John Debney, Jack Lenz and Lisbeth Scott

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/Site/POTC.html

http://www1.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/28438/

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/M09665/passion-of-the-christ/

• 5 years later...

Any chance Passion of the Christ will be back in stock?

That title is out of print

Dang. It just says temporarily out of stock on the website. Thanks though.

Apparently they sold all 10,000 copies. ;)

Nope just decided not to repress it

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=139722&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=458#bottom

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

What is John Debney's masterpiece? This score (his first and only Oscar nomination) or Cutthroat Island? Discuss.

Answering your question: Cutthroat Island. I haven't heard the expanded score (outside of the film) of Passion. But I had the original CD and it never grabbed me. (Should I revisit?)

Answering in a way you DIDN'T ask? Disneyland Paris' Phantom Manor is his masterpiece.

Anytime I see a director, and actor, whatever who is astonishingly talented but has no discernible "stamp" of their own but is instead a stylistic chameleon I think "Ahhh, this person is the John Debney of directing / acting / gardening..."

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

What is John Debney's masterpiece? This score (his first and only Oscar nomination) or Cutthroat Island? Discuss.

The Jungle Book. 

5 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Anytime I see a director, and actor, whatever who is astonishingly talented but has no discernible "stamp" of their own but is instead a stylistic chameleon I think "Ahhh, this person is the John Debney of directing / acting / gardening..."

Yeah, I only hire gardeners who have their own stamp.

This score has always been a bit of a conundrum for me - it earnt an Oscar nomination and LLL planned to press 10,000 units of an expansion but as a score I find it a bit 'meh'. I have two cues in my playlist (Flagellation, Crucifixion), both of which are top stuff, but the rest of it just sort of drifts by.

And yes, Debney to me is that composer who can reliably supply extremely good last minute music for just about anything, but damned if I could identify a style of any sort within it.

13 hours ago, Edmilson said:

For me it's definitely The Passion. We have heard swashbuckler scores before and with more success (eg. Star Wars), but I think we hadn't heard something like The Passion. I love that film very much and one of the reasons is its masterful score.

24 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

For me it's definitely The Passion. We have heard swashbuckler scores before and with more success (eg. Star Wars), but I think we hadn't heard something like The Passion. I love that film very much and one of the reasons is its masterful score.

What's the highlights for you?

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you referring to the darkness of the score?

I'm not sure if it's particularly dark.

I was referring to that combination of western style (mainly the choirs) with the ethnic elements.

Can anyone think of something similar beforehand?

40 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I was referring to that combination of western style (mainly the choirs) with the ethnic elements.

Apart from the choir the music style reminded my of Revell's "The Crow".

53 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Peter Gabriel's THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST. Not quite as "lush" as Debney's PASSION, though. Both brilliant scores, however.

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The Jungle Book. 

You know, I actually agree with that. The Jungle Book is a great score with many wonderful emotional moments (like Elephant Waterfall) and an appropriate jungle-y atmosphere that made many people compare it to Goldsmith's Medicine Man.

51 minutes ago, Thor said:

Peter Gabriel's THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST. Not quite as "lush" as Debney's PASSION, though. Both brilliant scores, however.

My brother adores that score.

16 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Why not both?

I think the only John Debney film scores I own on CD are CutThroat Island and Liar Liar

Then I have both Orville volumes for TV scoring and Lair for video game scoring