Upcoming Films

Quintus

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

If you take what he wrote literally then yes, he did.

Incorrect and illogical. But I don't listen to MG or HZ. I was giving an example of multiple as Gray suggested, not the universe of composers I listen too.

And if I listened to just those three I would be listening to the 3 best of my lifetime.

On the drive to work I listened to Pino Donaggio. So there is 4. 

I listened to Steiner Hermann Mancini JHN Roza and a few others in the last week. Oh and Barry too.  

What is with the edit. Nothing will save.

The book is sitting next to the bed waiting for me to finish. Thankfully it doesnt breathe.

Well I only got in about 50 pages and I had already figured out the villain.

On 4/5/2016 at 2:20 PM, mrbellamy said:

:eh:

And now we have a red-band trailer for Swiss Army Man

On 2/7/2014 at 10:22 AM, Alexcremers said:

Terry Gilliam shares new Don Quixote concept art:

cda1661_zps0dbca661.jpg

Alex

On 6/12/2015 at 10:19 AM, nightscape94 said:

More concept art and synopsis, Michael Palin and Adam Driver now attached

Prayer circle for Terry Gilliam.

On 4/22/2016 at 1:59 PM, Jay said:

Dwayne Johnson Officially Boards Jumanji Remake

Why Jumanji out of all things these studios could reboot?  Are they trying to start a  Jumanji/Zathura Cinematic Universe or something?

Jack Black and Kevin Hart join the cast

57 minutes ago, Jay said:

More sterile movies inbound then. I knew he was attention seeking anyway. 

Gene Hackman. There's how you retire from movies. 

8 hours ago, Brónach said:

The Assasin's Creed trailer looks terrible.

Well it's a video game movie. I can't think of any good ones

Video games give the player more freedom to guide, shape, and explain the story as it progresses. Video games also get away with very large suspensions of disbelief that gamers overlook. Movies sacrifice that freedom for linearity but usually sacrifice something important along the way. They also over analyze the suspensions of disbelief in a way that does disservice to the source material. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Uwe Boll would disagree!

But why is that? What is it about video games that seem to make them impossible to adapt effectively to film?

They are two forms of storytelling that require different techniques to be effective. More often than not, video game adaptations aren't even made by decent filmmakers to being with. The only hope was the BioShock film that was supposed to be directed by Gore Verbinski that never happened. Now it's The Last Of Us, and only because the game's writers are working on the script for the film. 

I would imagine the game genre more ripe for movie adaptations would be graphic adventures, but they never are as popular as action games

Mad Max was one of my most enjoyable playthroughs last year. Movie tie-ins used to be crap as standard but there's loads of gems when you look. 

Someone made a version of the Assassin's Creed trailer with score from the game instead of Kanye West

Frankly that doesn't fix the trailers problems, just looks like a dumb movie.

And uh, I've never played the games, but they aren't about a guy in modern day who like, quantum leaps into an ancestor are they?

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

How about the other way around? Video games that are based on movies? Does that work?

It can, absolutely. 

There are more video games based on the Star Wars franchise than I can count here. Some of them serve only to retell the story of a single movie, but the truly excellent games are more ambitious, they take the movie concepts and tell their own story. The classic TIE Fighter and Knights of the Old Republic come to mind. 

But cheap movie tie-in cash grabs aren't always worth your time. 

Cremers was the first to bring up movie tie in games in a Future Films thread so you either were responding to his direction of conversation, or you have JoeinAR's "I don't know what thread this is" sense of Tourettes. 

Conversation about games? Certainly. Conversation about movies based on games? Yours was third after Cremers brought them up. I simply quoted him directly, which is apparently taboo by Lee's rules of Internet arguing (c). 

Fuck it, I was responding to Stefancos and Romão tbh. Nobody was arguing. Then my later joke point was completely lost on Wojo. The end. 

22 hours ago, Brónach said:

The Assasin's Creed trailer looks terrible.

I just watched it now, it looks passable to me, I'll definitely give it a whirl on some streaming service. The stupid Kanye West music was the most embarrassing thing about the trailer. 

9 hours ago, Jay said:

And uh, I've never played the games, but they aren't about a guy in modern day who like, quantum leaps into an ancestor are they?

They are, which I never frankly understood. The allure is playing in these historical contexts, so I don't know why they bother with the convoluted modern day bookends to the actual gameplay, and instead just focus on telling good stories that occur in the time period.