A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - 2015 3CD set from La-La Land Records

Jay

It would be nice if they included "I only have eyes for you" when gigolo joe is introduced. It was a JW arrangement and newly recorded for the film then mastered to sound vintage.

@ 1:25

So, this could be around $35? or more?

WHO CARES???!!! In the U.K this is the equivalent of about £20, and that makes it just about the best bargain ever!

It's worth almost that for a clean version of "Dr. Know".

Exactly. I ordered Intrada's Judge Dredd and Return to Oz and paid something around 45 quid. So these prices are not so bad.

Karol

WHO CARES???!!! In the U.K this is the equivalent of about £20, and that makes it just about the best bargain ever!

Exactly. I ordered Intrada's Judge Dredd and Return to Oz and paid something around 45 quid. So these prices are not so bad.

Karol

It is still fair to say that in these economic times when people might not be doing so well financially, this can be a hard decision, shelling out 25-35$ dollars for this kind of release.

Luckily I can afford it. And if I couldn't would scrape the money together by hook or by crook otherwise. ;)

Karol

It is still fair to say that in these economic times when people might not be doing so well financially, this can be a hard decision, shelling out 25-35$ dollars for this kind of release.

Luckily I can afford it. And if I couldn't would scrape the money together by hook or by crook otherwise. ;)

Hell, Inky. I would have bought it for you! I know how much you love this thing. :)

And yeah, times are tough, for all of us. But I try to find save some money in case something comes along. And there always is something.

Karol

Karol

Hell, Inky. I would have bought it for you! I know how much you love this thing. :)

And yeah, times are tough, for all of us. But I try to find save some money in case something comes along. And there always is something.

Karol

Hehehe

There is always something thanks to these great specialty labels. :)

On 5/26/2015 at 1:17 PM, king mark said:

How much music do you figure we haven't heard on the Academy Promo?

If I'm not mistaken, the tracks on the new set that should contain music that was not on the OST or Oscar Promo are:

1-02 Henry Is Selected
1-16 Abandoned In The Woods (Expanded Version) [First 2 minutes]
1-19 Journey To Rouge City [First 20 seconds]
1-22 A.I. Theme (Instrumental Version)

2-01 The Mecha World (Expanded Version) [About 90 seconds towards the end]
2-03 Finding The Blue Fairy [Everything after 2:30]
2-11 A.I. Theme (Vocal Version)

3-02 Cybertronics (Alternate)
3-03 David's Arrival (Alternate) - opening that was replaced by Insert on Disc 1 version only
3-04 Canoeing With Pinnochio (Alternate)
3-05 Abandoned In The Woods (Alternate)
3-06 The Biker Hounds (Alternate)
3-07 Inside Dr. Know's
3-08 Replicas (Alternate)
3-10 Finding The Blue Fairy (Orchestral Excerpt)
3-11 What Is Your Wish? (Alternate)

That's probably like an hour's worth of stuff!

Utterly amazing, I cannot WAIT to get this!

I wonder what these two A.I. Theme versions at the end of the first two CDs are?

Well, we have the sheet music for "Theme From A.I." - maybe someone can take a look and tell us?

No, because the Disc 2 version says "A.I. Theme (Vocal Version)"

The sheet music titles are "Theme From A.I." and "Theme #2 CD Version", though I dunno which would be which on the LLL.

Before yesterday, I assumed "Theme From A.I." was the first For Always and "CD Version" was the Groban version

I am positive any of the specialty labels would love to work on it were Universal to allow them

I have no interest in an expansion myself, of course

Ok, that's acceptable Thor and I know your views on the matter BUT:

Specifically for this score we all know there is a 2CD Oscar promo which more or less contains the complete film score.

What does that mean?

That Williams himself felt that these 2 CDs represented his score better than a single album cd so he sent it for appreciation.

He felt that all those cues left of the album, are equally important for the evaluation of his music by the members of the Academy, otherwise he would leave them out..

I'm just saying that because from what I remember you prefer albums because you regard them as being representative of a composer's intentions, right?

The OST only features 2 cues from the first Act of the film, a few from Act 2, and then almost all of Act 3.

Since he didn't include hardly anything from Act 1 of the film on the OST, the great "Yearning for a Child" theme isn't featured on the OST at all!

Oscar promos may well be put together by the film company, and not the composer.

I don't believe they wouldn't have the composer's approval.

After all, his reputation is at stake.

Oscar promos may well be put together by the film company, and not the composer.

I don't believe they wouldn't have the composer's approval.

After all, his reputation is at stake.

They sent out a 1 disc promo but also the 2 disc version. Whether this is by JWs supervision or not we do not know. Such thing hasn't happened before or since.

The lack of Joseph Williams music doesn't bother me at all

For me, it's one of those cases where the source music is inseparable from the score, especially in that lovely moment when Gigolo Joe looks at David through the window, and the source cue overlaps with the opening bars of "The Mecha World" in the same key.

Also, I just rewatched the Immaculate Heart scene, and didn't hear any music apart from the general "Rouge City" riff composed by Joseph Williams; maybe we're getting a never-before-heard original cue for that scene? Who knows?

What a great time to be a film music enthusiast

It's certainly possible all the Joseph Williams material is on this set - I honestly have no idea. I just meant it wouldn't bother me either way.

If his material is not included, than it must have been John Williams' decision not to include it since he oversaw the release.

I can't imagine there's anything on the OST that isn't included on this set.

Yes, obviously the "Moon Rising" techno will be there

The question is about the Amphibicopter techno, I suppose. Will that show up inside Disc 1, Track 21, "To Manhattan"? If only we could read the track times....

And what would Joseph Williams's 3rd cue be, then? "Inside Dr. Know's"? We know that's on there!

Looks like a fantastic release... can't wait! I never did hear the original A.I. CD... because I owned the DVD-Audio release. ;)

It's a shame that the DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD formats never caught on... nor are regularly utilized for the limited film score releases. (Varese Sarabande did produce a few Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack SACDs). I understand that the production costs would be a bit more to produce hi-res / surround sound discs, but it would absolutely be worth paying an additional $5-10 dollars each. Compared to standard CD, SACD and DVD-A offer a substantial improvement in sound quality, especially when enjoying the multi-channel presentation on above-average playback equipment. And Hybrid SACDs play in regular CD players. Oh, well... CD releases are still better than compressed mp3's or iTunes. Physical CDs do have to be made and shipped, adding to the end-cost. But that's fine with me.

On the plus-side, most soundtrack projects are edited, mixed, and mastered in hi-resolution (24-bit). The 20th anniversary Jurassic Park soundtrack was released as a his-res downloadable album, so I'll hold-out hope for more hi-res (JW) soundtracks in the years to come.

And what would Joseph Williams's 3rd cue be, then? "Inside Dr. Know's"? We know that's on there!

So if "Immaculate Heart" is a John Williams cue instead of a Joseph Williams cue, I think Joseph's 3rd cue is the jazzy source music heard when Joe tap-dances on the street before entering the hotel. And "Inside Dr. Know's" might have also been composed by his dad

Really strange those copyright issues..

They didn't have a problem with the music used in the film, but they did have a problem with the music used in the ost?

For starters I believe much more people saw the film, than listened to the album!

And much more too have the Bluray and listen to the music there.

That tap dance music could be in the track "Immaculate Heart", then.

I don't think so; that jazzy source cue is different from the music when Joe and David wander around Rouge City and end up in front of Our Lady of the Immaculate Heart. It's really hard to speculate without concrete track times. Here are the source cues composed/adapted for the film, according to this 3-CD fan edit:

I Only Have Eyes For You (Joe Source) - (1:36)

*City Music (Source) - (1:29)

*Shake Down, Shabby Town - (0:49)

*Rouge City (Source) - (1:45)

Dr. Know (Source) - (1:45)

*This is Not A Toy - (0:31)

The ones marked with an asterisk were composed by Joseph Williams; the other two are presumably from his dad. It's hard to see where "Immaculate Heart" could fit into this context without knowing the track time

We know that "I Only Have Eyes For You" was composed (or rather arranged) by John Williams due to Wrobel's Rundown (Page 198).

I agree that the Dr. Know source was surely John Williams as well.

As for the Joseph Williams cues, we know he did 3 cues and not 4, thanks to his official Agency PDF (Page 1)

Three questions:

1. When is this available for pre-order? June 16?

2. Why does the main page date July 16?

3. How do we know the 'techno-part' in The Moon Rising was written by Joseph and not by John? Was this officially confirmed or do we just assume John could not have written something that modernistic?

1. There is no pre-order. Yes, it's available on June 16th.

2. Yes, that is an error in the text of the main page.

edit:

3. I think there was an official cue list or something somewhere, where Joseph Williams was idenitfied as the composer of 3 cues for this film.

So we assume those techno stuff were the cues.

1. There is no pre-order. Yes, it's available on June 16th.

2. Yes, that is an error in the text of the main page.

Thanks..!