The Quick Question Thread

rpvee

10 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Will be seeing a screening of the original King Kong tomorrow! It will be a 45-minute drive. What score should I play during the travel? :D I can't decide!

...Besides Link.

What an absolute privilege to watch the 1933 KING KONG, on the big screen. You won't regret it.

Play LINK, on the way there, and a "golden age" score (Korngold, Newman, Rozsa) on the way back.

I figured I'd play the score to my second favorite monster movie, combined with Jaws' score not being that long.

On the way back, I played Oliver Wallace's Dumbo and...Goldsmith's Medicine Man. I don't know why, was just suddenly in the mood for that one.

Richard, my man, I've seen King Kong more than I've drank water or breathed oxygen. This was certainly my first time seeing it in a theatre though!

Which is to say, yes, I know all too well about the spider sequence. 

The re-recording we have of Steiner's score is satisfying enough as is, but I crave something even better someday (like London Symphony Orchestra playing the score, or something like that). Williams' The Lost World is a reasonable facsimile though! 

I kind of unconditionally love every Kong movie on some level. I love the character so much, I'll watch him in any garbage they've stuck him in (I even love King Kong Lives, god help me). My only main gripes are that I never have the patience to endure Jackson's 3-hour love letter to the original and seek out 90-minute cuts whenever I'm in the mood for it, and that Kong: Skull Island's score is poop. Other than that, I can handle anything Kong-related.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

@kaseykockroach, I have a strange fascination for KING KONG (1976).

It's silly, and it's kitsch, but it's quite moving, it has a lovely score, and it has The Dude :)

It also craps all over the Peter Jackson version. Nuff said.

:beerchug:

I LOVE it too!

(although I don't know who is The Dude. Jeff Bridges?)

About Jackson's Kong, I really hope it didn't have  that silly and fake dinosaur chase scene.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Jeff Bridges is The Dude, or His Dudness, or El Duderino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Oh, I googled it and now I see.

I haven't seen The Big lebowski.

Hi guys,

I'm currently looking at an album called Movie Legends: The Music of John Williams by the Liverpool Royal Philarmonic. The samples  sound great, except Across The Stars. That and many more tracks are reportedly 'arranged for orchestra by ...'.

My questions:

1. Why would anyone want to arrange orchestral music for orchestra?

2. How is it done, by ear or using the signature edition?

3. Is anyone familiar with this album? Is it good?

On 01/04/2018 at 10:06 PM, filmmusic said:

I'm not sure I'll like it.

I'm not into Coens.

On 02/04/2018 at 5:11 PM, Stefancos said:

Dammit filmmusic, you're outa your element!

@filmmusic, you are entering a world of pain, a world of pain.

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Hi guys,

I'm currently looking at an album called Movie Legends: The Music of John Williams by the Liverpool Royal Philarmonic. The samples  sound great, except Across The Stars. That and many more tracks are reportedly 'arranged for orchestra by ...'.

My questions:

1. Why would anyone want to arrange orchestral music for orchestra?

2. How is it done, by ear or using the signature edition?

3. Is anyone familiar with this album? Is it good?

I've listened to it on Spotify and wasn't particularly impressed by the playing. I guess new arrangements were made either because they wouldn't pay for the original ones, or they felt the need to adapt the music to the particular orchestra.

19 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Why not? It sounds pretty good.

Compare the Far and Away suite to the film version. You can just tell the arranger didn't have access to the sheet music and jotted down a dumbed-down version. No thanks.

On 03/04/2018 at 11:32 PM, bollemanneke said:

I'm currently looking at an album called Movie Legends: The Music of John Williams by the Liverpool Royal Philarmonic.

On a point of order, the orchestra performing on this CD is the (London-based) Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, not the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra.  I do not own the CD in question but have quite a few of the selections on other compilations.  It is a real curate's egg of an album with some excellent performances interspersed with the odd WTF moment.  There are at least four different conductors featured and many of the selections are taken at quite a lick.

The RPO regularly performs all-Williams concerts, a few of which I have attended and very much enjoyed.  They invariably try to flog copies of this very CD beforehand and during the interval but I have so far resisted the temptation!  The concerts tend to consist of 90% 'official' versions and - inexplicably - 10% arrangements, the worst culprits IMO being Nick Ingman's arrangements of Jaws and Close Encounters of the Third Kind.  While both have a certain kitsch value, it does throw you to hear them in a concert played by such a reputable orchestra.  The first is like a sort of demonic fantasy on the Orca theme while the latter sounds like an orchestrated gala arrangement of the CE3K disco version.

I would say that the RPO has really upped its game in the last ten years or so, so while it is still a little way behind the LSO, LPO and Philharmonia when it comes to playing film music, it has improved greatly in recent years.  In fact the RPO or its sister ensemble the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra have featured in many of the recent live to picture performances at the Royal Albert Hall and have been excellent at every one I have attended.  I suppose what I am saying is that if you can get the album at a reasonable price (it is £8 on the RPO website for example), most JW fans will find enough to enjoy to justify the purchase.

Thank you for that, but the arrangements are rather unbearable to me. Put it this way: I am utterly illiterate when it comes to reading music, and even I could have done a better job pointing out which notes the orchestra should play at the beginning of Devil's Dance. It sounds like a group of professionals playing something written for five-year-olds... I'm really confused as to why they're doing this and suddenly feel so much better about having ordered that new LSO CD.

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Has anyone ever heard of a website like Filmtracks that discusses DVD/Blu-Ray releases, specifically the differences between re-issues?

dvdbeaver.com - contains detailed comparisons of picture and sound for different releases, with examples

dvdverdict.com - often compares different releases (but only in writing)

3 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Has anyone ever heard of a website like Filmtracks that discusses DVD/Blu-Ray releases, specifically the differences between re-issues?

I can recommend one such website. It's called www.jwfan.com

Could someone please let me know what it says here and what does it mean?

1.53.10''-1.53.20''

https://ok.ru/video/195905522396

I'm trying to correct a translation.

"I'll be cursing, I'll be....

Ladies and gentlemen just start to dance, to wash me....... my brand new pants.

I've been squashed and rolling about a while...... "

CD player's having a weird issue lately...reading some discs, won't play others. Has nothing to do with discs being scratched or some being official while others are CD-R's, it's all bizarrely inconsistent. It wouldn't play Rio but played Rio 2 without any problems, even though both discs are in perfect condition.

Any ideas? I bought a lens cleaner, hoping that helps. 

Doesn't it have some kind of warranty? 

You could buy the same thing at Walmart, then return the defective item on that receipt and try to get your money back.