JJ Abrams comments on The Force Awakens' score at D23 (UPDATE: Now with Video!)

Not Mr. Big

I was just at the session where 5m23 Rey's Skywalker Heritage Revealed/The Palpatine Scene/Solo's Heroic Sacrifice was recorded. No spoilers this time around, don't worry.

JJ is taking every opportunity to drop an excited mention of the music and Williams. Happy to see him so happy.

I am trying my best to stay away from production news and behind-the-scenes tidbits for this movie. I have not ready any of the spoiler tags, proactively sought out information, and I'm not entirely convinced that I'll buy or listen to the score before seeing the film.

I want this to be as pure a cinematic experience as is possible this day in age.

You're a stronger man than I.

I'll somewhat try the "black-out" approach with VIII at least.

I've found it easy. I'm quite looking forward to uncovering the mysteries of the plot and its characters with fresh unspoiled eyes.

All these teases about how great the score is. I wish they would throw us a bone, even if it's 30 seconds.

At the moment it's just crowd-pleasing PR. All the mainstream fans want to hear is how great JW is.

Until the score is released, it means precisely crap all.

Well, to the general audience, if they hear the Force Theme and/or the Imperial March, they're pretty much sold on the score. Screw your snazzy themes and complex writing Williams. Nostalgia is slowly killing off nostalgia.

I hope we don't see Duel of the Fates or Battle of the Heroes back.

I also hope we don't see the Imperial March back.

Or the Star Wars theme for that matter.

Gimme something new and complex, baby.

Think it will be a single-CD affair? I'm guessing if it is our luck as it was with the prequels having so much unreleased material in the video games probably won't extend here.

I kind of hope for a single-CD standard version and a 2-CD deluxe version. Of course, I'm being hopeful to the point of naieveity, because we all know THAT won't happen.

Depends. If he writes suites for these films, it would be interesting to include those on a separate disc.I'm hoping he'll at least re-record the Main Title concert suite for this as he did the original Raiders' March for KOTCS.

I can't see Williams liking the idea of a 2 disc release.

Makes me wonder why Zimmer allows his occasional 2 disc sets. I thought he was even more anal about the listening experience than JW.

I'd like to think it's not $$, although it probably is.

We saw Vader's helmet in the trailer. There is literally a 0% chance that the Imperial March doesn't get a cameo in the score. He referenced it in the trailer, so at least he remembers his own themes. :P

We saw Vader's helmet in the trailer. There is literally a 0% chance that the Imperial March doesn't get a cameo in the score. He referenced it in the trailer, so at least he remembers his own themes. :P

Where's The Imperial March reference in the trailer? you mean that bit where we see Vader's helmet?

Think it will be a single-CD affair? I'm guessing if it is our luck as it was with the prequels having so much unreleased material in the video games probably won't extend here.

I am hoping with J.J. Abrams being the director, perhaps the SW 7 Blu-ray will have the audio of the special features mixed in 5.1 like with his other films.

I am hoping with J.J. Abrams being the director, perhaps the SW7 Blu will have 5.1 mixed special feature audio like with his other films.

That would be ideal. Would Abrams have control of that in this instance?

I am hoping with J.J. Abrams being the director, perhaps the SW7 Blu will have 5.1 mixed special feature audio like with his other films.

That would be super cool. Besides Superman, have we ever gotten anything like that for a John Williams score?

You misunderstand, I mean that the documentaries on the Blu-Ray are mixed into 5.1 so that unreleased music can be ripped form them.

I am hoping with J.J. Abrams being the director, perhaps the SW 7 Blu-ray will have the audio of the special features mixed in 5.1 like with his other films.

It has nothing to do with the director.

Only repeating what I have been told by Miles Prower