Seeing John Williams in the flesh

Josh500

Seeing John Williams in the flesh  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever seen John Williams in the flesh?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. Are you planning on seeing John Williams in the flesh (again, if you have checked YES above)?

• Yes.
    • No.
  3. 3. Have you ever exchanged a few words/spoken with John Williams?

• Yes.
    • No.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am asking because I have never seen JW in the flesh myself, and because up until now, I wasn't planning on seeing him, either.

But now I'm thinking: perhaps I should, while there's still a chance! ;)

Saw him once at the Hollywood Bowl back in the Summer of 98 (?) when they premiered the theme to the Lost World.

Saw him in my hometown of Rochester, in 2001, where he performed an intimate concert and he received an honorary doctorate from the Eastman School of Music (where Alexander Courage studied). That was really cool, but I did not meet him. Looking back, I should have made an attempt, because it was not that crowded.

Yes, Yes (if it's possible) and Yes.

Although John managed to get a smile from him. I got a look of pity and a thank you.

I've seen him conduct the Boston Pops several times and I plan on seeing him again next year.

Although John managed to get a smile from him. I got a look of pity and a thank you.

;) I guess it pays to keep your vocal cords functioning.

I've shared a few words and I've shook his hand. If I get the chance to do it again I will, but it probably won't happen. Unless he really takes what I told him to heart. :lol:

I don't understand why this thread is in Other Topics. It belongs in General Discussion

I've seen him twice at the Hollywood Bowl, and plan on attending again. I've never gotten to exchange words with him, although I was about 10 feet from him at one point.

Yes I have seen him conducting the Boston Pops and leaving the show once. Unfortunately, he was rushed into his car by security just as he got right up next to me outside of symphony hall. That was in '08, the last I saw of him. The girl and I are going to Tanglewood Film Night.

I saw him at the Hollywood Bowl a few years back. Tried to meet him afterward, but all we got to do was see his head through a window. He was talking to someone inside, I guess. Anyway, I'd like to see him again, but we'll see if it actually happens.

Sad life isnt it? :D

Not really, no.

If you admire someone very much, your goal in life shouldn't be to meet or talk with that person. Your goal should be to become as successful as your idol either in the same or another field. If you're 78 and you look back on your life and your highlight was meeting John Williams, now that would've been a sad life.

Unfortunately, he was rushed into his car by security just as he got right up next to me outside of symphony hall.

I wonder whether JW hires his own bodyguards, at least for the duration of the concerts.

Koray, you're not impossibly far from Boston. You could make a little trip out of going to see him conduct the Pops or maybe even something closer. I've been wishing he'd do a performance with the New York Philharmonic.

Yeah I know but it'd have to be a planned weekend trip or something. Right now I'm not actively seeking to attend one of his concerts. I think I looked into it once and tickets were in the hundreds.

Seen him three times at the Hollywood Bowl, never spoken to him. That probably will never happen; I'm not the kind of guy who's pushy enough to get into those situations.

Yes

No

Yes.

I've seen him in the flesh 3 times. Twice at Blossom in N.E. Ohio, and once in London in 1996 when I went backstage and met him/spoke to him after the concert. Good times!

I have no immediate plans to see him again. If he comes my way I will certainly consider it.

Yes

Yes (hopefully, that is)

Yes

:o

"Sadly", we ended up talking briefly about The Netherlands, when I really wanted to get an inside scoop on the TinTin score! :)

cimg9645.jpg

• 1 month later...

When I went to the Boston Pops concert this past May I saw him in the flesh for the first time (other than on stage at the May '08 and May '09 Boston Pops concerts). My GF and I waited in the rain outside the exit we were told he'd come out of for a while with a bunch of other people. When he finally came out he was gracious to sign pretty much everything people put in his face. When he signed my Hook LP, I couldn't stutter out much more than a "Thank you". One person outside gave him a letter he had written or something, with a mini speech about how he has inspired him to be a musician, and JW just thanked him and gave him a hug, it was touching.

Next year, I hope to try to say a few words to him :)

No, I've never seen him live. That's the price you pay for living as remotely away from where it's happenin' as I do (Norway). It is one of my greatest wishes. However, I have long since realized that I have to go to the US to see him, as he probably won't visit Europe again. So I'll have to plan a USA trip that happens to coincide with a Hollywood Bowl concert or something. And I can't wait that long either, as I'm sure he wishes to retire at some point.

I have seen/heard J.W conduct 4 times;

June, 1982, L.S.O. Barbican,

Jaunary, 1986, R.A.H. for Filmharmonic '86,

July 2nd., and 4th., 1998, L.S.O. Barbican.

I have never spoken to him, but he did sign my vinyl copy of "The Towering Inferno".

If he ever returns to conduct publicly the U.K. (and it will be the first time since 4th. July, 1998, if he does) I will see him again.

Yes, no, yes.

Seen him three times, met him twice. I don't plan on seeing him again unless he comes to Baltimore (not happening), DC (possible), or Phillie (possible).