Exodus: Gods and Kings by Alberto Iglesias (with Harry Gregson-Williams and Federico Jusid)

crocodile

What's funny it's the second time they called Hregson-Gilliams to fix things. But when he was doing his score, they had to resurrect Gerry Joldsmith. When Goldsmith was doing his, however, they had to ask Howard Hughes to finish off Alien.

Karol

I would not exactly call this a huge victory. A lot of true and tried noughties sword and sandal epic sounds, duduk, electric cello, a wailing male instead of a female voice and paper thin orchestral writing. I am all for separation of instruments and orchestral sections and clarity of writing but it all sounds kind of generic. The Wagnerian I Need a General is by far the most interesting piece of writing I can remember from this score.

I think this is one of those that requires more than one listen. More than two or three, even. There's some good stuff in there.

Iglesias is a fantastic composer. He's just not known for offering obvious highlights like we're accustomed to. It requires a bit more digging.

Karol

It's an interesting score, surprisingly closer to the RC sound approach than I anticipated, the most RC-ish of which are HGW's cues. But there are more interesting things going on here. Digging the themes too, and the best parts come from Iglesias' cues. Not a fan of Jusid's choral writing here either.

It's defintely a score that needs multiple listens.

Alright, alright. I will take a listen or two more to mine for the obviously deeper darker ore somewhere in the depths I missed before. ;)

Hey that rhymes!

however, they had to ask Howard Hughes to finish off Alien.

Aviator, entrepreneur, master composer...

I am sure he is also a film score fan. He is suitably obsessive compulsive.

I'm a bit disappointed by this, to be honest, but then again I was already skeptical when Iglesias (not a big fan!) was announced and even more so when the extra composers came in. Too much of this sounds like a very generic 'contemporary epic Hollywood action movie' approach.

That being said, there ARE some smokin' tracks here, like the beautiful "Into the Water".

No one wants to be the next Gabriel Yared.

Interestingly, I was listening to HGW's Kingdom of Heaven when I happened upon this thread.

I find it a much more compelling score that this one. At least after these 3 listens.

The Wagnerian I Need a General is by far the most interesting piece of writing I can remember from this score.

Listen to 1:16 onwards in Ramses's Orders. Shrill piccolos, pizz strings, low harp, contrabassoons, glassy violin harmonics, rumbling piano etc. And that's only just the orchestration. This is isn't your standard RCP fare.

Yeah, definitely. Though I can understand the initial disappointment in that the stylistic approach they took with this.

The FSM reactions are hilarious

Unfortunately it sounds like generic library music. Nothing particularly distinctive or original.

Seems awfully uninspiring to me too. Nothing Elmer Bernstein would lose any sleep over, were he. still alive. Or Jerry Goldsmith for that matter (at times it sounds like a poor man's MUMMY).

The best track is "I Need a General", and that's clearly based on Wagner's Das Rheingold.

Not sure why Sir Ridley doesn't just hire Harry Gregson-Williams and be done with it

What a missed opportunity and disappointment.. We have all heard this type of music countless times before. Sounds totally drab. Depressing. What has film music come to ?

Hey I am very much in agreement with those statements (just leave out the comparisons with Goldsmith and other composers)!

Why is it hilarious? because it's a different opinion?

edit: I have listened to 5 tracks by now, and my observation is this.

The role computers have on film music life is eventually very evident.

Most instruments, especially the strings sound like samples and this is only due to the way of composing on computers.

The writing generally in recent film music output is very homophonic, and even in that, there aren't any change of positions, register etc. of chords (as the ones someone sees instantly in a Williams sheet music score)..

Hilarious, I guess, because FSM is known for being rather backwards and reactionary and the posts are ample demonstrations thereof. Then again, that's somewhat true for this place as well with all the Zimmer hate etc..

It's because how extreme they are. I don't care if you liked the score or not but expecting a Bernstein or a Goldsmith score out of a modern Ridley Scott film is absolutely ridiculous. And the old "What has film music has come to?" is too much. I mean, sure, I don't think it's a brilliant score by any means -it has its highlights though- but bitching about the death of film music is stupid.

You don't like this score? GREAT. Move on. Big deal.

True. A very good attitude. No point expending energy on lamenting the state of film music every time you encounter a modern score not to your liking.

It's because how extreme they are. I don't care if you liked the score or not but expecting a Bernstein or a Goldsmith score out of a modern Ridley Scott film is absolutely ridiculous. And the old "What has film music has come to?" is too much. I mean, sure, I don't think it's a brilliant score by any means -it has its highlights though- but bitching about the death of film music is stupid.

Bitching is one thing and making some observations is another thing..

The dreaded old 'i should look up the word homophonic' debate? There once was an angry letter to FSM (print) about this.... :shakehead:

I thought this word was widely used for "homophonic writing" vs. "contrapuntal writing"..

Anyway, it's a Greek word.

To me, it's just plain generic, but some tracks (especially "leaving memphis") remind me of the sound of old glory days of film scroring.

Everything from HGW, which are track "Hittie", "the vows", "tsunami" are rather RCP generic but idk, because i miss his swashbuckling writing or what, i simply enjoy it.

And it's hard not to think, eventhough this is not entirely a rip-off, the influence from Hans Zimmer's Prince of Egypt. I'm sure Ramses theme is temp tracked from Hans's, and also other egyptian motif. But the God theme here is different, eventhough Hans's is far more effective and grandeur, Iglesias's God theme, heard perhaps in "i need a general" , is decent by its own standard (though i kinda think this is not the kind of music to meet God rather a music to see the spectacle of outer space, Wall-e comes to mind).

In All, i think that influence cant be overlooked, Hans's themes is one of his best, but i think Iglesias (and Jusid) are far more influenced by old movie's score that i cannot mention, and of course by HGW himself

I really like it, but I can't give it more than a stable 3.5/5 right now. I hope it can grow on me to at least a stable four star score. A bit generic and in the vein of MV with no real strong themes (at least not what I can hear at the moment) that is my biggest problem with it I guess.

http://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard/index.cgi?read=157855

I really don't get the HGW love in these comments. Am I supposed to hold KINGDOM OF HEAVEN in high regard?

Most instruments, especially the strings sound like samples and this is only due to the way of composing on computers.

This is more to do with how strings are recorded nowadays. I'm talking about miking techniques here.

The writing generally in recent film music output is very homophonic, and even in that, there aren't any change of positions, register etc. of chords

I wouldn't say that of Zimmer's recent scores, or this one.

I really don't get the HGW love in these comments. Am I supposed to hold KINGDOM OF HEAVEN in high regard?

This is more to do with how strings are recorded nowadays. I'm talking about miking techniques here.

Maybe, but i would insist too that it's due to the writing also.

I mean, I don't think you will see something this nowadays:

image.png

where even in the simplest chords, there is a movement in voices..

On the contrary, you would just see two half-note chords. (or a whole note chord with the 3rd voice in the 3rd staff changing).

And this is perfectly logical when someone works on a computer.

He treats composing like playing a synthesizer with his hands..

If you don't sit in a piano with pencil and paper, to write the notes and see on the score how the voices can move, it's quite difficult to write moving voices just in a sequencer directly.

And that is why I think computer kills creativity in music.

many people think it's the sound, the synths. But it's not it.

It's the composing technique.

True. A very good attitude. No point expending energy on lamenting the state of film music every time you encounter a modern score not to your liking.

*cough* The Hobbit films *cough*

Do you have something caught in your throat Stefan? I am sure you had a point but I missed it when you were so audibly clearing your throat.

Listening to it now.

Has a lot in common with Debney's The Passion of the Christ. It's kind of generic at points, but generic biblical/historical, which is better than generic blockbuster. And it's also quite good at other points, compositionally and orchestrationally.

Seems like it has a decent chance of working very well in the film, if the film is good, and becoming a necessary purchase for more listening.

It could have been worse, JWFan. A lot worse.

I mean, I don't think you will see something this nowadays:

image.png

where even in the simplest chords, there is a movement in voices..

On the contrary, you would just see two half-note chords. (or a whole note chord with the 3rd voice in the 3rd staff changing).

And this is perfectly logical when someone works on a computer.

He treats composing like playing a synthesizer with his hands..

If you don't sit in a piano with pencil and paper, to write the notes and see on the score how the voices can move, it's quite difficult to write moving voices just in a sequencer directly.

And that is why I think computer kills creativity in music.

many people think it's the sound, the synths. But it's not it.

It's the composing technique.

Ok, I see what you mean. I agree a lot of film composers out there, especially younger ones, don't give much (or any) thought to voice leading.

Here's the full list of who did what according to Hans-Zimmer.com

1.Opening + War Room (2:39)
Alberto Iglesias

2. Leaving Memphis (2:03)
Alberto Iglesias

3. Hittite Battle (4:16)
Harry Gregson-Williams

4. Returning To Memphis (2:37)
Alberto Iglesias

4. Moses In Pythom (1:50)
Alberto Iglesias

5. Nun's Story (2:18)
Alberto Iglesias

6. The Coronation (2:28)

Federico Jusid

7. Ramses Retaliates (0:53)
Federico Jusid

8. Arm Chop (1:58)
Alberto Iglesias

9. Goodbyes (2:41)
Alberto Iglesias

10.Journey To The Village (2:14)
Alberto Iglesias

11. The Vows (2:24)
Harry Gregson-Williams

12. Alone In The Desert (1:36)
Alberto Iglesias

13. Climbing Mount Sinai (2:17)
Alberto Iglesias

14.I Need A General (3:22)
Alberto Iglesias

15. Exodus (2:52)
Alberto Iglesias

16. Ramses' Orders (2:44)
Federico Jusid

18.Moses & Nun (1:48)
Alberto Iglesias

19.Moses' Camp (2:42)
Alberto Iglesias, Federico Jusid

20. Ramses' Insomnia (2:58)
Alberto Iglesias

21. Hail (2:01)
Alberto Iglesias

22. Animal Deaths (2:39)
Alberto Iglesias

23. Looting (1:19)

24. Ramses' Own Plague (2:05)
Alberto Iglesias

25. Lamb's Blood (1:39)
Federico Jusid

26. We Cross The Mountains (2:51)
Alberto Iglesias

27. Into The Water (4:00)

28.The Chariots (1:52)
Federico Jusid

29. The Hebrews (0:58)
Alberto Iglesias

30. Tsunami (5:33)
Harry Gregson-Williams

31. Sword Into Water (1:12)
Alberto Iglesias

32. The Ten Commandments (3:37)
Alberto Iglesias

http://hans-zimmer.com/index.php?rub=disco&id=1269

Listening to it now.

Has a lot in common with Debney's The Passion of the Christ. It's kind of generic at points, but generic biblical/historical, which is better than generic blockbuster. And it's also quite good at other points, compositionally and orchestrationally.

Seems like it has a decent chance of working very well in the film, if the film is good, and becoming a necessary purchase for more listening.

It could have been worse, JWFan. A lot worse.

Agreed. I was hoping Iglesias would veer away from generic biblical/historical given the chance (I'm so tired of drums and just duduk wailing in biblical action pics). But what we got does some have nice highs.

It's a good score, though maybe a bit overrated.

Funny enough, HGW's output in this score are the most generic parts of this score. Sounds a lot like KoH leftovers.