Michael Giacchino's Inside Out (2015)

Jay

The OST is coming Tuesday, June 16th from Walt Disney Records

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WHZZGFK/jwfancom-20

I just got an email from Amazon indicating the new release date is now May 19th!!

Now if we could just get Disney-Pixar to release Giacchino's Toy Story That Time Forgot score like they did with his Toy Story of Terror! score!

Now if we could just get Disney-Pixar to release Giacchino's Toy Story That Time Forgot score like they did with his Toy Story of Terror! score!

and Prep & Landing!

and Prep & Landing!

Those shorts are from Disney Animation, but yes, I agree!

I'm still surprised that at this point some Giacchino scores go unreleased. Wouldn't they all be at least moderate sellers?

I would think so! The lack of a digital release for TSTTF is weird indeed

The OST is coming Tuesday, June 16th from Walt Disney Records

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WHZZGFK/jwfancom-20

I just got an email from Amazon indicating the new release date is now May 19th!!

And now Amazon says June 16th again!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Premiered at Cannes to raves, 100% on RT so far with critics calling it one of the most creative and emotional Pixar films.

Variety's review mentioned the score:

Incoming memories are stored in bright glowing orbs, color-coded according to whatever Emotion was dominant at the time she experienced it, then stored in the appropriate place in the vast landscape of her mind — one with different islands for each of her key qualities, plus all sorts of amusing nooks and crannies, like Imagination Land and the more sinister Subconscious, which the film takes time to visit, giving composer Michael Giacchino the chance to augment his heartening score with separate mood-appropriate themes for each of these realms.

http://variety.com/2015/film/festivals/inside-out-review-disney-pixar-cannes-1201499227/

Pete Docter’s new animation Inside Out does not deliver that shock of the new which was so stunning in the Pixar heyday of the last decade — all the dazzling technical spectacle of detail, colour and light which had us gobsmacked, and which we now take utterly for granted. This movie is a sweet-natured coming-of-age comedy, a kind of tween-transition crisis, though with a fundamentally sunny Disneyfied worldview. It hasn’t anything as genuinely emotionally devastating as Up, or the subtlety and inspired subversion of Monsters Inc. and the Toy Stories which it certainly resembles at various stages.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/may/18/inside-out-review-cannes-film-festival-pixar

Inspired subversion? Monsters Inc?

....What?

You know, monsters scare kids in their bedrooms not because they're mean, but because it's a job in their society, but then they realize later on that laughter is more powerful than screams.

Monsters, Inc. is certainly one of my favorite Pixar films.

It's just not as good as everyone makes it to be, in my opinion. I mean, it's pleaseant enough and harmless, but it really doesn't connect with me -again, just my opinion, doesn't mean other people can't enjoy it. However, I do adore The Incredibles and Ratatouille.

Ratatouille and The Incredibles, yes.

The former being another example of inspired subversion (rats cooking instead of humans in Paris' most lauded restaurant).

It's just not as good as everyone makes it to be, in my opinion. I mean, it's pleaseant enough and harmless, but it really doesn't connect with me -again, just my opinion, doesn't mean other people can't enjoy it.

That's how I feel with pretty much every Pixar film!

The former being another example of inspired subversion (rats cooking instead of humans in Paris' most lauded restaurant).

Well, most of old Disney is subversive too, I guess then? -I'm honestly asking, correcting me if I'm wrong- Like Dumbo going against everyone mocking him for his long ears (and the mean-spirited name, which he keeps strangely) and succeeding in flying by the end.

Or The Fox and The Hound being a friendship in two opposing worlds.... Sword in the Stone... I mean, it was really common in their shorts too, not exactly a new theme, especially in animation.

Well, most of old Disney is subversive too, I guess then? -I'm honestly asking, correcting me if I'm wrong- Like Dumbo going against everyone mocking him for his long ears (and the mean-spirited name, which he keeps strangely) and succeeding in flying by the end.

Or The Fox and The Hound being a friendship in two opposing worlds.... Sword in the Stone... I mean, it was really common in their shorts too, not exactly a new theme, especially in animation.

Yes, but we all know what happened at the end of The Fox and the Hound.

As for The Sword in the Stone, not really subversive since it was Arthur's destiny all along to pull the sword out and claim sovereignty by divine mandate (and everyone else went along with it).

First clips of the score are online!!!

NOT what I was expecting at all!

I do LOVE it though! Wow!
The two clips played are "Abstract Thought" and "Chasing Down Sadness" and begin at 50:25; The interview portion that talks about Inside Out begins earlier, at 43:07
Oh, and somewhere in the beginning of the podcast he indicates he recorded about 70 minutes of score for Inside Out.
Can't wait to hear the whole CD!

It's finally music that is harmonically and structurally more interesting (and not just brash and loud), though i reserve judgement about the score till the full release. Another Giacchino score Jay makes a superbowl-sized event of!

Pete Docter’s new animation Inside Out does not deliver that shock of the new which was so stunning in the Pixar heyday of the last decade — all the dazzling technical spectacle of detail, colour and light which had us gobsmacked, and which we now take utterly for granted. This movie is a sweet-natured coming-of-age comedy, a kind of tween-transition crisis, though with a fundamentally sunny Disneyfied worldview. It hasn’t anything as genuinely emotionally devastating as Up, or the subtlety and inspired subversion of Monsters Inc. and the Toy Stories which it certainly resembles at various stages.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/may/18/inside-out-review-cannes-film-festival-pixar

I couldn't disagree more with this. I had the opportunity to see this film and for me it's Pixar's most high-concept and daring movie so far and probably one of their top three best. It has so many layers and it tells a story about emotions in such a deep and moving way I was literally astonished. It ain't kiddie stuff, but it's probably one of the most pedagogical movie ever made, so definitely bring your kids to see it. This ain't movie for the cynical-minded, nor the usual high-brow blasé, though.

Giacchino's music is very good, imho. It's on par with his previous Pixar scores. It has likely the same sensibility of Up, but with a kind of more "contemporary" feeling to it.

As predicted, this might be the best score he's doing this year. If those two track are anything to go by, it might be among his best work so far. He just gets Pixar films.

Karol

Eh....

Go back to your heinous organ music!

To escape this quasi-80s video game music, gladly!

It's good enough but when I think of slightly unorthodox ensembles/use of electronics, this kind of quirkiness isn't really what I look for. It certainly seems to be the most novel of the year's trio.

I'm already humming the lovely piano theme from the Inside Out tracks. Stuck in my head already. Not doubt it will be the most unique and interesting score of Giacchino's bunch.

Hopefully we just get the entire OST straightaway like with Tomorrowland. In fact if Inside Out samples show up I might not listen and just wait for the full OST to be on Spotify

I assumed so at first too, but after looking at it for a bit decided there wasn't *shrug*