Sherlock (BBC)

Melange

As far as I know, it hasn't made an appearance in the U.S yet

But I enjoyed every Episode of the 3 Episode pilot of this. What also stood out was the music, some of which was gripping. Plenty of lietmotif. Last night, Holmes was sitting around bored waiting for a case, and when he picked up the phone, his 'theme' as such began to play . And the finale of last night's one had gripping music. Decided to finally see who had composed the music, and apparently it is David Arnold and Michael Price. The 3 episodes are on BBC Iplayer if you're in Britain and missed the three episodes.

I hope they make more, and I hear it has been very successful so I would think we will see more. I think the casting was superb. It was one of those ideas that right away I interestingly thought - "Yeah, that will work" when the premise was a modern day version of Holmes and Watson. Here is the basic intro theme, but clever variations of this appear through the episodes in a more orchestral form. Unfortunatley there are no example of its music, to share yet. Although I'll try and grab some from Iplayer sometime.

I think I read the second series has been commissioned.....goood job too!! Loved the way the Conan Doyle stories were woven in - some more subtle than others.....felt the second episode dragged a bit, but the third made up for it big-time....

Me too. My favourite series of the moment, definitely; too bad it's already over. Good news, if true, that they commissioned more!

The music is fantastic, of course. One of the now rare instances when the theme gets stuck in your head immediately.

Absolutely brilliant! What a fantastic way to end the series. Benedict Cumberbatch for The Doctor, please.

I'd say he'd actually make the perfect Master.

But yes, this was three brilliant episodes of television.

Benedict Cumberbatch makes Sociopathy look cool :lol:

His cunning Cat like eyes are perfect for the character.

And the music certainly has a Bourne edge to it at times (which is why I love it)

Below are a couple of 30 second clips of music (plays online) from it, for ya (temporary titles,given by me)

On Fire

Crossed My Mind

Neither (chuckles). I am a psychiatric nurse, and have nursed some sociopaths in my time.

Did they manage to charm, then manipulate and exploit you for their own ends without remorse? :)

• 3 weeks later...

Saw the first episode, liked it very much. Brits just know how to do this stuff.

Minor quibbles:

SPOILER!

In some scenes, the killer's victims seem to be alone or nervously running around with the pills. This doesn't make sense in light of the setup of the revelation to Holmes.

Holmes realization about the killer's profession is milked like he discovered the relativity theory, while he solved much smarter riddles with seemingly no effort.

Some minor characters from the PD are written just as cardboards poo-pooing Holmes; they seem a bit too flat.

• 5 months later...

I saw the first episode of Sherlock. I enjoyed it inmensely. Which is a triumph for the episode, because ususally it's very hard for me to get into these kind of stories.

:thumbup:

The first ep is easily the best, as it's the only one the Moff wrote himself, but The Great Game is really damn good too. One of the best things on TV in '10, without a doubt.

Watched the second episode of Sherlock.

I was told this one was weaker, and I still really enjoyed it. I need to say, Cumberbatch looks and acts a awfully lot like I had imagined the character when I was reading.

The main difference between this episode and the first is that the first episode is more like a package of information that is always making the story jump forward where there is always more information and so on. It's very cohesive and dynamic. Moffat does this a lot and it's one of the reasons he's great for Tintin. The second has a lot of great moments in itself, but they are isolated from each other. There's a storyline that carries us from a "moment" to the next "moment" and it doesn't work all that well because it looses its rythm.

• 2 months later...

Watched the first episode last week. It was pretty good, I liked the two main actors (though the guy playing Sherlock is one WEIRD looking man!)

Does anyone know if they finished filming a second season before Freeman had to move to NZ to film The Hobbit for a year?

I'm sure he's not flying back and forth. I'd guess they finished filming on a bunch of episodes before he flew down there, and its in post production now. Maybe he'll record ADR down in NZ or something

....I liked the two main actors (though the guy playing Sherlock is one WEIRD looking man!)

Cumberbatch's look helps add to the whole enigma of holmes in this, for me. Sort of a fusion between one of those 'Grey' Aliens and a Cunning Cat

When I first saw him on Sherlock, he seemed he would have been excellent as Dr Who.

Later I heard he apparently 'did' dabble with the idea of going for the role, but decided not to.

I got the impression they'd finished filming Sherlock before Freeman went out to NZ. But as Jay said, I can see Freeman being available for ADR when PJ isn't doing scenes with him, if needed.

• 2 weeks later...
Before signing as Bilbo, Martin had agreed to make three 90-minute TV films in London, again playing Dr Watson to Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock Holmes. No worries: he'll be back in Middle Earth after our first hiatus, during which Peter Jackson will have spare time to edit the scenes already completed. The rest of the cast remains on duty for another few weeks, working on hobbit-less sections of the film.

From http://www.mckellen.com/cinema/hobbit-movie/110510.htm

So what does that mean, they haven't even starting filming season 2 of Sherlock yet?

No shit Sherlock!

The first two episodes of this were good, but the third was a bit weak.

I thought the middle episode was the weak one. Got a bit boring in the second half, IMHO. The first and third episodes, excellent.

Again, IMHO.

Mark Gatiss twittered a pic today of of Benedict and Martin at what looked like a table read.

http://twitpic.com/4vx025

(On a side note, nice to see Sylvester McCoy directly and pretty-much-officially referred to as actually being in The Hobbit. I haven't been watching things too closely, but every time I'd read about Sylvester, it was always "unofficial", I never saw an official press release specifically stating Sylvester was in it. Not that I doubted he was gonna be in it, just that it all still felt weirdly unofficial. It's gonna be sooooooooooo weird seeing the Seventh Doctor in Middle Earth...)

• 2 weeks later...

Well the GF and I finished season 1. Episode 2 was definitely the weakest of the three, but episode 3 was great!

... up until the final scene in the pool room. I felt like I was suddenly watching something of infinitely lesser quality. That Sherlock would just give the missile plans to Moriarty... what? Seemed off-character. I expected it to be a fakeout and they were not the real plans, not that Moriarty wouldnt even care about them.

I feel like they really just introduced Moriarty too soon. Would have been better if the first 2 seasons were just Sherlock and Watson solving random cases, and at the end of maybe 1/2 - 2/3rds of them you saw that Moriarty was the mastermind behind them... then maybe in Season 3 introduce him on-screen.

They way they handled the onscreen encounter in this episode was just.... weak. Too much gun play, between the rifles and Sherlock having a gun and the bomb on Watson and just...... blah, I dunno.

And the cliffhanger!!! Frustrating!!

... up until the final scene in the pool room. I felt like I was suddenly watching something of infinitely lesser quality. That Sherlock would just give the missile plans to Moriarty... what? Seemed off-character. I expected it to be a fakeout and they were not the real plans, not that Moriarty wouldnt even care about them.

I feel like they really just introduced Moriarty too soon. Would have been better if the first 2 seasons were just Sherlock and Watson solving random cases, and at the end of maybe 1/2 - 2/3rds of them you saw that Moriarty was the mastermind behind them... then maybe in Season 3 introduce him on-screen.

You watch too much American TV! :D

Seriously, I like it a lot better like this, and it is in character: Sherlock doesn't care about some missile plans (and Moriarty neither; compare it to the Rabbit's Foot), it's the intellectual challenge he's interested in - he's finally found a worthy opponent, so to speak.

Right, and the intellectual challenge is great, and I want that too..... but Sherlock didn't really outwit Moriarty in the final scene.... Moriarty just... left... then... came back and decided to kill him........ it was weird and a huge letdown from the rest of the episode. Sherlock solving the other 5 cases were all brilliant.

Well, I didn't consider it a letdown, but I see what you mean: Sherlock indeed didn't do anything to outwit him - unless there's something we don't know yet of course!

Moriarty changing his mind did seem a bit weird at first, but I actually think it makes him creepier and terrifying as a villain; just like the fact that he's pretty young.

I do wonder how the hell the cliffhanger will be resolved. If Sherlock shoots the bomb, they'll all die. If he shoots Moriarty, his snipers will take out him and Watson ; They'll all die.

Maybe he'll jump in the pool?

Another character will show up before he shoots? But who?

• 2 months later...

Started watching this. It's excellent.

I'm officially converted to the Church of Cumberpatch, and Freeman is an excellent Watson. Love the friction between these characters.

Liked the way it's been film and edited, stylish, but not overbearing, tight, but not incomprehensible. Music is pretty good. Also it's not too heavy-handed, despite the often grim subject matter.

Only one episode to go, sadly.

I am disappointed with what they did with Moriarty. I expected a menacing figure, but got an arrogant prick.

Apart from that, the show is great and I am looking forward to next 3 episodes.