Sherlock (BBC)

Melange

What a wonderful series!

Before discussing it, let me see I love Douyle's stories, the Peter Cushing version of The Hound of the Baskervilles, Youg Sherlock Holmes, and of course the Granada series with Jeremy Brett.

This new adaptation is excellent on all accounts.

What is remarkable is the way they manage the greatest difficult: adapting the stories to our era. Just like Young Sherlock Holmes managed to remain faithful to the spirit of Doyle's work and tying into it, this series manages to re-tell the stories in the world of 2012, with plenty of changes while remaining true to the spirit of the story and the characters.

The cast is remarkable. Freeman's Watson is not a mere spectator-cum-storyeller, has dry humor, and works well with Holmes.

Cumberbatch is as perfect as Brett was, in this new style.

Moriarty is really very good, especially in teh final episode. The Joker trait in him actually helps sell the second season's finale, at the end of which I do not doubt he really is dead (they have not changed the main plot elements that much so far as to believe they would change this one): Holmes actually does say on the roof Moriarty is insane, and he was really depressed at having lost the onlyopponent worthy of his own (criminal) genius; being insane and certain of his superiority and that his death would inevitably prompt Holmes to take his own life, killing himself is not that surprising.

I also like the way it is all done, such as Holmes' deducting point of view (with all the clues zooned in on and labelled); it is a neat and efficient way of conveying his thoughts and deductions in about as fast a way as they flash through his mind without lengthy dialogue to explain them.

An excellent adaptation and an excellent series in its own respects.

I forgot to mention I was all the more curious regarding this episode, and found the story was all the more well handled, as "The Adventure of the Final Problem" is actually a story without any problem at all; someone said here some stories did not involve any actual crime, but what Doyle meant to be his last Holmes story simply had the hero fleeing from a frighteningly powerful villain that even he feared enough to run away to another country (Moriarty being some sort of Deux ex Machina Doyle came up with to beat his unbeatable hero).

The series' writing team (regardless of the credit of the final screenwriter, each episode cannot be but the result of a brainstorming, especially for such an important one) came up with a really good (and Holmesianly obvious-after-the-explanation simple) interpretation: the fall interpreted not just literally but as the result of a fall from grace that ultimately leads to the actual heroic jump to save his friends.

I wonder how many episodes/seasons are planned; I will gladly buy the whole thing on Blu-Ray.

Well I would love to see them do as many Sherlock Holmes stories as possible. The adaptation as I and several others have said has been just a success, balancing the needs of the modern setting and audience with fidelity to the spirit of the original stories

Well a series three is planned. After that, who knows?

I laughed my ass off when Moffatt put on Twitter minutes after the series 2 finale aired that series 3 had been commissioned at the same time as series 2, despite all denials to the contrary. Well played sir!

CBS is doing whatever they can to not be sued by Moffat's production company while still going ahead it seems. Sue Vertue (Mrs. Steven Moffat, the producer and head of the company) had made it clear their will be lawsuits if CBS's show drifts too close to Sherlock. Now they can say, "Look! We made Watson a woman!".

So they're still going forward with this one even with the BBC threatening legal action, huh? OK, good luck to them. I am pretty sure it's not gonna be a patch on the Moffat-Gatiss version, not by a long shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmNt31Gwf4c

A simple video of Cumberbatch reading a fairytale...far more amusing are the youtube comments!

This video should be called 'How to make reading children's stories highly erotic, by Benedict Cumberbatch'

That made me laugh! :D

So, I've been recently pulling a Sherlock marathon (since I love this show so much) and it got me to thinking how I would rank the episodes. For me my favourites would be like this:

1) Season 2, Episode 3 - "The Reichenbach Fall"

2) Season 2, Episode 1 - "A Scandal in Belgravia"

3) Season 1, Episode 3 - "The Great Game"

4) Season 2, Episode 2 - "The Hounds of Baskerville"

5) Season 1, Episode 1 - "A Study in Pink"

6) Season 1, Episode 2 - "The Blind Banker"

I don't remember how I found out about this, but I do check out Canadian and UK tv. So I watched the first season shortly after it aired on the BBC. I find it quite fun, despite that the characters are dealing with (mainly) murders. The biggest laugh I've had so far is thanks to Watson.

Sherlock: "You were a doctor."

Watson: "I had bad days!"

And I'm laughing again just thinking about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, that definitely puts the our misconceived notion of our beloved Holmes' intellectual prowess into perspective...either that or we have seriously underestimated the weasel family for far too long...

Oh and I'm not sure if this has already been posted but I'll do it anyways:

http://www.digitalspy.ca/british-tv/s129/sherlock/news/a370954/sherlock-series-three-to-shoot-in-early-2013.html

Nothing that doesn't confirm our suspicions.

• 3 months later...

I just started this series, and I can already see that it's worthy to watch. The camera work and script writing are impressive. The music is very very good and the acting is superb. I'm on to ep 2 now.....

Episode 3 in season 3 is where you first really realize how brilliant the show can be. And season 2 just gets a lot better!

In an interview otherwise about The Hobbit, Martin Freeman let drop that Sherlock season 3 won't begin filming until January, and will shoot until April

http://collider.com/peter-jackson-martin-freeman-the-hobbit-interview/180675/

So I'd expect it will be airing in probably September of '13.

Indeed. I'm just glad I was spared the agony of waiting for Series Two--I watched Series One on Netflix, and my brother had just gotten Series Two on DVD when I finished, so I started that the next day.

I just finished ep2. Much slower moving than the first but great writing none the less. Could have done without he Watson girl though. Just has her stuck in there for the token love interest I guess. Will find out in the next ep I'm assuming.