Gotham: Live action Batman spinoff TV Series

Jay

They do - The CW.

The reason one production studio's shows airs on another company's network are plentiful. Some reasons are:

-the network didn't need another one of that type of show right now

-the network passed on the pilot so it got shopped around to other networks

-one company owns the rights to an existing property, but it wouldn't be a good "fit" for the network they run

Etc

Companies make a lot of money airing other companies shows. WB just kept raking in the money year after year as NBC continued to renew friends (who in turn make money on ad sales)

• 1 month later...

Apparently the Penguin and Riddler's performances are really good, so I'll check it out. I'm a big Batman junkie, so there was probably no chance I wouldn't watch it anyway. If interested, I always like to give a show a half a season to see how they develop and realize what works and what doesn't. I was just about to give up on Arrow in season 1, and then they kicked it into gear and developed a year and a half worth of great entertaining television.

Perhaps this show will be the same, perhaps it won't.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's alright. Very uneven. Some things are good, namely the two leads, but other things just don't work. But I think it could grow into something very good if it plays to its strengths.

One of the few villains that didn't appear in the pilot - Two-Face - has been cast and will recur throughout the first season

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=123644

I'd guess he becomes Two Face in the season 1 finale (if the Season 1 finale isn't the reveal of the Joker)

Doesn't the introduction of all of these classic villains into the Gotham world, while Bruce is just a kid, deflate the impact and purpose they have when he becomes Batman?

• 2 weeks later...

Ouch.

Today, Fox announced that Gotham has been picked up for a full season of 22 episodes. After watching four, I’m already exhausted with the show and have no idea how it’s going to keep this concept going in its current state. The cases of the week aren’t particularly intriguing, character relationships are wafer-thin, and logic rarely comes into play with the show’s plotting. And then there’s the bigger question of what does this show build to? The series is setting up so much of Batman’s world, but we’re not going to get to that point any time soon unless this show decides to jump forward in time. Gotham can’t survive on teases of a status quo that won’t come to be for years, but the writers have yet to craft a story that proves their version of Jim Gordon is a lead that can sustain an entire series.

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/gotham-arkham-210451

Anyone else here agree?

Ouch.

Today, Fox announced that Gotham has been picked up for a full season of 22 episodes. After watching four, Im already exhausted with the show and have no idea how its going to keep this concept going in its current state. The cases of the week arent particularly intriguing, character relationships are wafer-thin, and logic rarely comes into play with the shows plotting. And then theres the bigger question of what does this show build to? The series is setting up so much of Batmans world, but were not going to get to that point any time soon unless this show decides to jump forward in time. Gotham cant survive on teases of a status quo that wont come to be for years, but the writers have yet to craft a story that proves their version of Jim Gordon is a lead that can sustain an entire series.

Anyone else here agree?

Smallville was nothing but a decade-long tease. Gotham has great potential.

Ouch.

Today, Fox announced that Gotham has been picked up for a full season of 22 episodes. After watching four, I’m already exhausted with the show and have no idea how it’s going to keep this concept going in its current state. The cases of the week aren’t particularly intriguing, character relationships are wafer-thin, and logic rarely comes into play with the show’s plotting. And then there’s the bigger question of what does this show build to? The series is setting up so much of Batman’s world, but we’re not going to get to that point any time soon unless this show decides to jump forward in time. Gotham can’t survive on teases of a status quo that won’t come to be for years, but the writers have yet to craft a story that proves their version of Jim Gordon is a lead that can sustain an entire series.

Anyone else here agree?

Well, the last portion is, more or less, what I said here

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like it well enough. It's not exactly a prestige drama like Breaking Bad or anything, but it's a comic book take on stupiddumbidiot procedurals like CSI, NCIS, L&O etc, so it's something trashy to take with your cereal on Saturday morning.

I much prefer Marvel's program. It has actual warmth and it's fun and you like the people involved. This one is more just... bearable and mildly interesting.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is much better. I would say that the first season of Gotham is about as good as the first half-season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (the pre-Captain America episodes) before the show had a drive or a purpose. Since the release of Cap 2, Agents of SHIELD has become less procedural and more serialized, has gone from just-OK to good, and has stayed there.

It's funny looking back, and now that I've seen cap 2 - they must have written and filmed the entirety of the first 16 episodes of Agents of SHIELD knowing exactly what happens in Cap 2, and that Hydra is embedded in SHIELD the whole time. I know they couldn't have revealed it on the show because it would ruin the twist in the movie, but you'd think they could have done something with that knowledge instead of just treading water? Maybe hire a couple people to play well written characters the audience loves, and know from the start they'll be revealed to be Hydra agents? Well, maybe they did do that, I dunno - still haven't seen the show.

It's funny looking back, and now that I've seen cap 2 - they must have written and filmed the entirety of the first 16 episodes of Agents of SHIELD knowing exactly what happens in Cap 2, and that Hydra is embedded in SHIELD the whole time. I know they couldn't have revealed it on the show because it would ruin the twist in the movie,

They did know - in fact, they had to disguise the main organization they were fighting ("Centipede" was its name, to save the Hydra surprise for Cap 2)

you'd think they could have done something with that knowledge instead of just treading water? Maybe hire a couple people to play well written characters the audience loves, and know from the start they'll be revealed to be Hydra agents? Well, maybe they did do that, I dunno - still haven't seen the show.

Without spoiling anything more, they did EXACTLY that - both within the main cast, and with certain recurring characters.

The show struggled a lot at the beginning, but I don't think it was tied directly with they Hydra reveal. It was the early villain-of-the-week format, and the typical "beginning of a series" shakiness that most shows have while it finds its footing.