The Official "The Walking Dead" TV Show Discussion Thread (Beware Spoilers)

BLUMENKOHL

Nice first episode back, although I wish they wouldn't threaten to kill off main characters like that, and then back out at the last second.

And it's back to basic too - inevitably more will reunite, but I like that they're now back to an even more primitive state than in season 1. Interesting to see where they're going with it.

The dream sequence was trippy. At first I feared the show was jumping the shark to give each character a Lost like flashback, and I had to replay it a few times to understand the sword, but it was pretty neat to see.

As I predicted Tyrese ends up with Carol. Lizzie = Psycho Carl 2.

This show was less entertaining than last week for me. Too much to tell. Still had fun. I want a long handled hammer.

• 1 month later...

Got myself up to date with Walking Dead. Bleedin' hell the contrast between where we are with it now compared to the first couple of seasons is night and day. It's like two different shows, with the latter being 100% better than the former. Tonally, we are in GRIMSVILLE, Population 11. Much of this season is playing out in sunny broad daylight, which is just as well because the mood is blacker than night. It's about as grim and dark as ever and can only get lighter from here on in, can't it? It genuinely feels as if all hope is lost!

Like the most seasoned 'walker', this show took its time to find it's shuffling, lurching, footing; and in the end is all the more vicious and cruel for it.

I just started last night's episode (on demand rules) and the cold open really feels like watching a scene from Fallout 3 or New Vegas because of the song being played. I'll have to look it up later to be sure.

What a brutal yet essential episode!

A lot of people seem to hate the second season but I really enjoyed it. For me they're all great apart from the first season. Each season has its fair share of BS, some of it only minor, but interestingly this most recent one has for me been a step up in that regard, with the second half (after the break) being some of the very best of the whole series.

Which seasons do fans of the show generally consider to be the best?

I could make up a quick answer by saying the first and third season, but that implies the second and fourth aren't as good. Each season really has its own unique feel and set of story arcs, with a number of standout episodes and a number of character building episodes to serve as breathers between all the action, and of course a few dull filler episodes.

I'm truly glad I don't read the comics, so that Sunday's shocker was a surprise.

Anybody else think it's funny that Blume started this thread because it "deserved" it and he wanted there to be more discussion... but then hasn't even bothered to come in every week and discuss each new episode?

Should this thread just be abandoned and discussion go back to the normal TV thread? There honestly hasn't been much discussion about it in the 4 months this thread has been around, compared to other TV threads like Lost, Breaking Bad, and BSG/Caprica, which generated more than enough discussion to warrant their own threads.

Do not enough JWFanners watch this show, or is there just not as much to discuss about it as other shows?

I'm afraid to talk much in the thread because I don't know who's actively watching the show, which would force me to use spoiler tags. You show some interest in the series and will probably watch it someday in the future, so I can't really talk too much about the juicy bits.

Rich

Well it can certainly be a policy that in this thread, spoiler tags are used for major events or whatever. Whatever people want! Doesn't matter at all to me.

Just thought it was odd that Blume created this thing then didn't bother to do himself what he requested of others.

Maybe he gave up on the show.

Rich

As much as I've gotten back into the show, and am enjoying the quieter and more personal stories in the second half of the current season, I can certainly understand the urge to bail on it. I did, during the second season. It's not a hard show to give up on, which is a strange thing to say, coming from someone who enjoys it.

I'm rewatching The Grove with a friend who hasn't seen it yet, and it's the scene right before the very disturbing scene, and I'm getting very anxious about seeing it again. This is the most intense character builder yet.

Rich

I'm still watching. Although I'm barely in this thread as I discuss it with a few guys at work.

I'm liking the completely character-oriented end to this season, even if it's fairly obvious that it's all a bit of a stop-gap between

the prison and whatever this 'terminus' place is.

Plus, it gives them a chance to explore an idea briefly touched on in season 2.

Back then, they had a 'home', but were exploring the idea of what the point of continuing to live was. Now, no home, loved ones dead, and still pondering the point of going on. Also the idea of being a kid in these circumstances - there will never be a 'normal' childhood again. From Rick and Lori's dilemma over whether to let Carl die, and spare him a potentially nightmarish life, to this week's tragic ending.

Although nothing will ever top the 'barn scene' from season 2.

Since Breaking Bad ended, this is my #1 show. (also watch Ghost Adventures, but that's more throwaway thrills, as I'm very interested in the paranormal)

Opinions like that are ruining the show for everyone else.

Character development is good. Endless zombie action is not.

This. It's sad to see people giving up on the show because there's not Zombie killing every week. I mean seriously that would get old fast...

Richard,

I'm sorry, but you seem to be jumping to conclusions about my opinion.

Your premise assumes the character development we are receiving is quality character development. It is not. These last episodes are not Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica in terms of character development. They're not even close to touching the comic book in character development.

This season has had some excellent episodes, but it's also had more filler episodes too.

Though season 2 was full of boring "we haven't found Sophia yet and Carl's an idiot" episodes, while season 3 had all its boring episodes of Rick losing it.

I feel bad because I watch this show without my girlfriend because she hasn't watched any and she doesn't want to just jump into it, but I have zero interest in rewatching the show from the beginning. There are too many episodes I'd just sleep through.

Rich

Anybody else think it's funny that Blume started this thread because it "deserved" it and he wanted there to be more discussion... but then hasn't even bothered to come in every week and discuss each new episode?

Are you alright, Jason?

I'm assuming you said that light-heartedly. Otherwise, my irregular posting-habit seems like an odd topic to pick a conflict over. ;)

Since the thread title contains "spoilers beware", I'm gonna let it fly.

Anyone else really annoyed with Glenn? Dude is so unbending in his mission that he's willing to risk Tara's life completely and selfishly. He knows that she's tied her fate to his own to pay back a debt, and the other members of their little group have noticed this and voiced it out loud. And yet, he's completely okay with walking through a dark enclosed tunnel with the echo of walkers emanating from it and taking Tara with him. He knows she won't back down. He's risking his own safety along with hers. He's been sort of an asshole these last few appearances.

Admittedly, I don't really even like Glenn to begin with.

Overall I thought the episode was okay, seemed more like a complete set up for the finale (which isn't exactly atypical for a penultimate episode)

Anyone else really annoyed with Glenn? Dude is so unbending in his mission that he's willing to risk Tara's life completely and selfishly. He knows that she's tied her fate to his own to pay back a debt, and the other members of their little group have noticed this and voiced it out loud. And yet, he's completely okay with walking through a dark enclosed tunnel with the echo of walkers emanating from it and taking Tara with him. He knows she won't back down. He's risking his own safety along with hers. He's been sort of an asshole these last few appearances.

Truthfully, the others in their little group -- the soldier, the nerd, and the hottie -- don't know the finder details of how Tara was part of the Governor's group that attacked the prison and shattered Glenn's "original" group. Yes, they notice that Glenn is pushing her hard, but he feels her life is forfeit.

Do get the feeling that Tasha was cooking meat using a recipe from the To Serve Man cookbook?

thanks, I am worried about Beth too.

very excited for the season finale, feel like something sick will happen.

Even if they do decide to kill off Daryl at some point, I doubt it will be tonight. I don't think his story is done yet. Beth too. It would be such a waste if she died already.

It was a great half of a finale. The other half was all flashback bullshit they should have shown us at the beginning of the fourth season instead of all the water treading.

Carol will go apeshit Rambo and save everyone.

Rich

I thought this was the most consistently good season of the show since the first. I've really enjoyed the character building that has been the focus of the second half. Excited to see where the story goes from here, whereas I had felt mostly tired at the end of season 3.

I feel sorry for the cannibals they've bitten off more than they can chew, figuratively speaking.

I was pretty underwhelmed by the finale. Two thirds were really boring and only the last 10 minutes were good. A finale has to offer more especially after the slow second half of the season. I felt Season 4 as a whole was worse than season 3. They should have kept the previous showrunner.

In addition what about the overuse of annoying songs in season 4? Took my out of the episodes several times.

Hey at least it wasn't like the Best Of Both Worlds cliffhanger...

Riker: Mr. Worf.......fire! *screen instantly cuts to credits*. It was VERY hard to wait until the next season started with Part 2.

Just watched the finale. It wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be. The thing is, nothing much happens. It's mostly just setup for the next season, so it certainly is lacking compared to the other season finales.

Having said that, season 4 has, by and large, been the show's strongest season.

Just watched the finale. It wasn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be. The thing is, nothing much happens. It's mostly just setup for the next season, so it certainly is lacking compared to the other season finales.

Having said that, season 4 has, by and large, been the show's strongest season.

Everything in The Walking Dead is just set up for future seasons. They build and build and build to these big events, then plow through them so fast only to take another ten episodes to set up the next "big event." If not for my brother I probably would have quit the show awhile ago, but now I'm stuck to finish through I'm afraid. I felt a similar feeling with Dexter years ago, and I'm sure the ends will be equally disappointing.

Everything in The Walking Dead is just set up for future seasons. They build and build and build to these big events, then plow through them so fast only to take another ten episodes to set up the next "big event."

Ooof. That's really bad writing.