What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Prince of Foxes

Tyrone Power isn't exactly Fox's answer to Errol Flynn, but he's a solid lead actor. Portions of the film drag, when it should be lighter on its feet a la The Adventures of Robin Hood. The action is mildly engaging, the B&W photography is stunning and the on-location filming in Italy is absolutely sumptuous. It's a fun matinee film, but it's not a classic.

King Kong (2005) was on yesterday. I made it to the island scenes, but it certainly wasn't easy. I will never understand the love for this one and I know like everyone disagrees with me. It's so BORING. I think if I had kept watching it, I would have been dead by the time it was over. There are no characters that I care about, too many characters, too many overblown overlong scenes, constant pointless use of slow motion, reaction shots out the ass...and no fun! Give me the 1970s version any day over this. King Kong Lives even.

Halloween

John Carpenter's horror classic is certainly effective and Dean Cundey's cinematography is fantastic. But is this it? It's unsettling in its relatable setting (something horrible is happening across the street - and you only catch glimpses of it through your window), but I didn't find it as tense a nailbiter as it's hailed to be. Carpenter must have wanted to ape Jaws with his killer motif that pops up whenever the killer is around, but the hokey synthesizer is distracting and laughable rather than scary. A good flick for its time and parts of it hold up, but not a film for me.

Friday the 13th

Released two years after the smash hit of Halloween, Friday the 13th is basically Halloween at a summer camp. Right down to the POV stalking shots and victims-killed-when-fooling-around opening scene, this film shamelessly copies Halloween in several places. There's more victims though (including a very young Kevin Bacon) and the identity of the killer is a nice twist. Unfortunately, this movie is also very, very boring. These films are interesting only when the main character knows they're in danger and you're wondering how they're going to fight the oncoming threat. In this film, there's a little Psycho-like twist where the first character we see after the opening credits (so we assume she will be our main character) is offed first. After that, all the other characters get offed one by one, until there is one left standing. This one finally finds out people are dying around them and fights back. But by then, we're about fifteen minutes away from the end of the movie. The first 75 minutes is just watching people die one by one. Meh.

This video points out all the problems I had with It Follows

Just can't understand still why it's so beloved

This video points out all the problems I had with It Follows

Just can't understand still why it's so beloved

Because it was creative and innovative enough to inspire a new raft of fan theories about the antagonist. For example, can It walk across the ocean floor? Is it really limited to just walking after its victims or does it just do that to boost the victim's fear and paranoia? Can it teleport? How strong it? If you lived on a private jet, could you potentially avoid it for life? Could luring it on a rocket and blasting it to another planet eliminate the problem?

They'll probably make a line of sequels, and if history is any indication, they'll ruin the mystique of the It.

Indeed, Mr. Big. Anyone with an intentionally short-sighted and contrary frame of mind can do an 'everything wrong with' video about every movie. I find them quite ridiculous. That Jay watches that stuff and sees it as evidence comes as a surprise.

Alex

Well, whose logic? That's the real question. Joey once said that not showing how the xenomorph came to be in the escape pod in Alien was evidence for lazy movie making. Guess what? It will make perfectly sense for those who can make it work or it can be a flaw to those who don't want it to work.

I don't think so. I vividly remember defending Alien. I wouldn't defend Alien3. ;)

According to Joey, Cameron was not lazy, because he showed how the Queen goes from one platform to another by taking the elevator.

The film starts with a facehugger somehow being on board the craft with Ripley, Hicks and Newt. Even though neither Aliens or this film showed how that could be possible. It's a well known beef mnay people had with the film (amongst many others)

Since you are unfamiliar with Alien 3, you probably assumed Joe was talking about Alien (a film he loves)

It wasn't about a facehugger and it was about the final act in Alien. I never discussed the scene you described with anyone. Joey likes Alien but he loves Aliens. It was one of the reasons why Cameron is a better director than Scott. You didn't have this discussion with Joey, I did. You are unfamiliar with the discussion we had. Ga terug naar start, Steef!

The Machinist:

968full-the-machinist-screenshot_zpstodp

I really liked The Machinist back then, but rewatching it after all these years did not do the movie any favours. First of all, the big mystery is gone, of course, but Bale's acting isn't always that convincing, the scenes tend to be repetitive (with Bale seeing something that he doesn't understand) and the music is a bit too heavy for the movie. All in all, a disappointing second viewing. 6/10

Alex

Escape Me Never (1947)

It's a melodrama, but Errol Flynn and Ida Lupino make it work. The B&W photography is artfully done and really adds to the atmosphere and drama on display. Erich Wolfgang Korngold's score is a far cry from his swashbucklers, but the harp glissandos and scoring approach make it stand out wonderfully.

Rush:

rush-film-poster_zpsw5osect6.jpg

Nice to watch and likeable like Ritchie Cunningham. I wasn't sure about this at first but Chris Hemsworth does a good job. Ron Howard is a professional, trustworthy Hollywood metier. He's able to entertain you. It's all very nice and dandy... Well, perhaps a little too nice and dandy, because it's also quite forgettable. Sign of the times? Well, yes, even though you do get the notion that themes like rivalry and the passion for racing adequately touched upon. It gets a 7/10 from me for a had a good and nice time with it. Indeed, I was actually in the mood for something like this and I wasn't disappointed. It's better than watching real Formula 1.

Alex

The Thing

John Carpenter's horror classic is a feast for the eys. Featuring a ton of gorgeous practical make-up effects by Rob Bottin and lovely cinematography by Dean Cundey, it's a nice Alien-in-the-Antarctic sort of film. I really, really enjoyed this one and I loved all the effects. Old-fashioned movie making at its finest.

Two for the Money

I actually kinda liked this. Pacino is in his usual post-Scent of a Woman/Heat mode (loud, basically another Vincent Hannah), but still fun to watch and McConaughey is pretty decent as well. The movie does drag in the middle and it never really becomes movie magic, but it's a good story and I liked how in the end, it all boiled down to Pacino's character and his flaws. It's really much more his story han McConaughey's, even though it's McConaughey's character who provides the narration and leads us through the story. I expected much worse, but was pleasantly surprised. Not great, but good enough to spend two hours with.

V For Vendetta is on tv. I haven't seen this film many times. It's actually rather good isn't it? A tad heavy-handed but good. The whole Valerie scene is very moving.

For its content matter, it seemed rather childish, to be honest. Felt like it was catered too much to teens.

Hugo Weaving was great though.

Two for the Money

I actually kinda liked this. Pacino is in his usual post-Scent of a Woman/Heat mode (loud, basically another Vincent Hannah), but still fun to watch and McConaughey is pretty decent as well. The movie does drag in the middle and it never really becomes movie magic, but it's a good story and I liked how in the end, it all boiled down to Pacino's character and his flaws. It's really much more his story han McConaughey's, even though it's McConaughey's character who provides the narration and leads us through the story. I expected much worse, but was pleasantly surprised. Not great, but good enough to spend two hours with.

I liked it quite a bit more than you, but yeah, I when I caught this on TV I was generally surprised by it.

The Babadook, probably the best film I've seen this year. Was not expecting much but my god it was well made and played. The direction is absolutely marvelous and takes 'slow burn' to masterful levels. More pertinently though, this film featured one of the finest performances from a woman I've seen and the portrayal of grieving exhaustion by Essie Davis will stay with me for quite some time, she was simply outstanding. 5/5

Shit really? It had effective atmosphere and the pop-up book scenes were genuinely well done, but I thought the lead actress was hammy as hell, and there came a point where I couldn't work out what was going on.

I was really disappointed by it.