La-La Land Records' HOOK (2CD Expanded) Anticipation thread

Jay

Well, missing music still or not, I am excited for this to be sure and I can't wait to order. :) Either way, we have more music that has never appeared on any bootleg, and even the stuff that has, it's going to sound way better, I imagine.

In honor of today... let us watch this:

Pick 'Em Up (Pan's training montage underscore) is not on the release I suppose.

Well, missing music still or not, I am excited for this to be sure and I can't wait to order. :)

Yep, that's for sure! Already one of the best releases, in my book.

:ola:

Some source music like Take Me Out To The Ballgame, and the Christmas carol in the beginning of the film.

Those are not even composed by John Williams. While the completist in me whispers that it would have been nice to get ALL the music, this source stuff is not remotely important.

Pick 'Em Up (Pan's training montage underscore) is not on the release I suppose.

Might that song not still be included in one of the longer tracks?

Well, to me the Food Insert was always the single most important moment missing from the OST, if I had to pinpoint just one .So to me it is a big deal

To put in in perspective, it's about the same as the opening of the ToD End Credits (the short round/Indy theme interpolation) missing from the Concord Box Set. Only a small section of music, yet so important

Well, to me the Food Insert was always the single most important moment missing from the OST, if I had to pinpoint just one .So to me it is a big deal

so it's a shame it's not on this release and the only clean source will always be the Concorde bootleg

At this point, can we tell with a 100% certainty that it's not on this release, though?

The End of Hook should appear at the end of Swordfight, right? Or is it at the beginning of Farewell Neverland? It's the only piece I can't account for here, but the 5 minutes of the swordfight would be my bet.

Yeah, if you compare the track times with the list here and the OST, it is definitely not there. However, I for one am very happy we have the film version of Flight to Neverland now (that ending was always so much better), and on CD2 we have the film version of Presenting The Hook which I presume has that music where Tink attacks the pirates shortly after their arrival. I agree that I am a little dissapointed not having that insert, though. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't heh. But see, this is why I am glad to see this before actually getting it in the mail and playing it, so I don't get more dissapointed and overreact like I have when getting other things, haha.

The End of Hook should appear at the end of Swordfight, right? Or is it at the beginning of Farewell Neverland? It's the only piece I can't account for here, but the 5 minutes of the swordfight would be my bet.

Yes I believe it will be there. A logical conclusion to the whole duel. And as Maurizio speculated the No More Hook piece is put together with Farewell to Neverland.

Hasn't Jason stated 1000times in the near past, that there is NO single Cue called "No more Hook" but that this music is the end of Swordfight?!? (with music dialed out inbetween in the film, so it always appeared to us as seperate cue..)

Hasn't Jason stated 1000times in the near past, that there is NO single Cue called "No more Hook" but that this music is the end of Swordfight?!? (with music dialed out inbetween in the film, so it always appeared to us as seperate cue..)

Yes but how they might have edited that cue on this album another matter. Otherwise it leaves the question of what is the new unreleased music in Farewell to Neverland.

And here we are again, obsessing over the music that's NOT included instead of the music that IS, and the album has not even been released yet! :lol:

Flashback to the "Indiana Jones Concord" set!

And here we are again, obsessing over the music that's NOT included instead of the music that IS, and the album has not even been released yet! :lol:

Flashback to the "Indiana Jones Concord" set!

Yes. Although discussing and speculating about potential music on or left off the album is part of the fun. :P

I think that by speculating on the track list alone we will be very confused and bewildered before anyone here has even gotten a chance to hear a note of the music. The following days and weeks will be hell. :lol:

Sometimes I wonder what some people here spend more energy on: listening to the music that's actually there or complaining about the music that's not!

:P

well, so "no more Hook"-music is included in swordfight, and the unreleased "Farewell"music is something we don't know... or is it the Never-Feast Insert? ;)

Unlikely (and musically unsound), the length of the duel music matches the dvd rip, so the short piece after that with the banquet theme playing should now come at the beginning of the farewell cue.

The food insert cannot be separated from the NEVER-FEAST, and since its length is the same as on the old Epic release, i gather it was left out. Why they couldn't smuggle the lone 20 seconds around Williams' watchful eyes we may be know when the liner notes arrive.

But there's one thing that strikes me, though.

This might be the ultimate release of Hook. I don't think there will ever be a "more complete" version of Hook.

On the Indiana Jones soundtracks, I am not so sure. I can still imagine a 2-CD Raiders, ToD, LC, and KotCS being released in the (distant) future!

I'm in complete agreement with King Mark. Sorry if I'm focusing on what's not included, but ever since I first heard the boot, the Never Feast insert was the one moment that captivated me the most and made my ears perk up. It was the first thing I checked for on that tracklist. And yes, KM's references to the ToD insert and Fortune and Glory are equally frustrating.

Williams would have probably removed "The Dark Side Beckons" from the Star Wars Special Editions if he had been given the chance

Now, this kind of speculation is just nonsensical and silly!

well, so "no more Hook"-music is included in swordfight, and the unreleased "Farewell"music is something we don't know... or is it the Never-Feast Insert? ;)

Nope. As Jason said, the unreleased parts of the whole Ultimate War sequence were sequenced using the film's music stems, hence the "Sword Fight" track will end as heard in the movie (the big tutti when the croc falls on Hook), then the piece labeled as "No More Hook" (i.e. when the kids realize Hook is gone and then dance) is the new beginning of "Farewell Neverland". What's missing is the unused portion that should link "Sword Fight" (aka "The End of Hook") to the beginning of "No More Hook".

Unlikely (and musically unsound), the length of the duel music matches the dvd rip, so the short piece after that with the banquet theme playing should now come at the beginning of the farewell cue.

The food insert cannot be separated from the NEVER-FEAST, and since its length is the same as on the old Epic release, i gather it was left out. Why they couldn't smuggle the lone 20 seconds around Williams' watchful eyes we may be know when the liner notes arrive.

wow... you actually thought I was being serious... well I wasn't!!

remember, 1941 had a hidden bonus...! just saying

THe food insert-blu ray rip sounds fantastic in my opinion, that short sfx crackle doesn't bother me atall!

A few things I'd like to know:

Is "The Bedroom" the cue called "The Stories Are True Pt. I (film version)" on the bootleg?

Is the bonus track "Wendy Tells Peter the Truth (partly unused)" a combination of "The Stories Are True Pt. I (alternate)" and "The Stories are True Pt.II"?

Does "Presenting the Hook (film version - extended)" play as exactly as heard in the film or does it contain unused material as well?

Does "Presenting the Hook (film version - extended)" play as exactly as heard in the film or does it contain unused material as well?

In the radio show they said there is a deleted scene for which Williams composed music that should go between Peter wandering in the Pirate Town after arriving to Neverland and meeting the pirates that attack him for his shoes. Tinker Bell pulled Peter aside and sliced his hand with her dagger or something like that to convince that it was all real since Peter still had hard time believing he was in Neverland. That is why his hand is suddenly bandaged in the film. So my bet is that this is the unused piece of music restored to its right place.

Mm, I'm note sure.

Looking at track times, my guess is that the cue you're talking about is presented in complete form separately in the track "Pirates!" on Disc 1. The film version of "Presenting the Hook" on Disc 2 is the cue as edited and conformed in the final mix, imho.

some music for deleted footage they alluded to in the interview.

That should be the track "Pan is Challenged".

Mm, I'm note sure.

Looking at track times, my guess is that the cue you're talking about is presented in complete form separately in the track "Pirates!" on Disc 1. The film version of "Presenting the Hook" on Disc 2 is the cue as edited and conformed in the final mix, imho.

If the track "Pirates!" on the new album is the same as the track of the same name on the boot it's from the scene where we see ook for the first time.

Is "The Bedroom" the cue called "The Stories Are True Pt. I (film version)" on the bootleg?

My guess is that "The Bedroom" is from the scene where Peter goes back to bedroom where he met Wendy and her brothers when he was young. "The Stories Are True" is from the scene where Wendy tells Peter he is Peter Pan.

Mm, I'm note sure.

If the track "Pirates!" on the new album is the same as the track of the same name on the boot it's from the scene where we see ook for the first time.

You're right! The duration matches exactly. Mystery solved :)

My guess is that "The Bedroom" is from the scene where Peter goes back to bedroom where he met Wendy and her brothers when he was young.

Which scene are you taking about? :huh:

Which scene are you taking about? :huh:

After Peter and his family have arrived in London Peter goes to the bedroom where his children will be sleeping and sees the painting of Hook on the wall.

Yes, you're right again, the duration matches the track called "The Nursery" on the bootleg (this is what puzzled me). Hence "The Nursery" should be actually the cue for the scene when Wendy tells bedtime story to Peter's kids.

Now it's all clear:

"A Portrait of Wendy" --> "The Stories are True Pt. I (FIlm Version")

"Wendy Tells Peter the Truth (partly unused)" --> "The Stories Are True Pt. I (Alternate)" plus "The Stories are True Pt. II".

I have to admit I'm disappointed. Of course. The film version of Never-Feast is one of my favorite parts too. At least the film version of Flight to Neverland seems to have been smuggled in. This mostly retains the album tracks and builds around them. But, as we all know, this is what happens when you let Williams call the shots. We get loads of great stuff, but there will be this...feeling over the whole thing. Like when listening to Temple of Doom or Last Crusade since the Indy box set. That's what this feels a lot like, unfortunately. But you all know who to blame: John Williams.

It is amusing that there are 2 versions of the typically maligned Banning Back Home.

That said, I'm thrilled we're getting what we are, but there is clearly much room for improvement in a future digital reissue 20 years from now.

wow... you actually thought I was being serious... well I wasn't!!

remember, 1941 had a hidden bonus...! just saying

THe food insert-blu ray rip sounds fantastic in my opinion, that short sfx crackle doesn't bother me atall!

What hidden bonus are you reffering to?

the "My Name is Wild Bill Kelso.. and don't you forget it!!"- shouts seperated, not as overlay.last track on CD2 maybe 30secs after the the End Credits' last note.

well... I doubt the food insert will be included that way on that album,..so, anyway....

I'm not surprised - if Williams has any significant involvement in a release, we're not getting the complete score.

We get the best of both worlds though - a cohesive listen, but with much desired material added back in. From what I've heard, the film ending of 'Flight to Neverland' and the full 'Ultimate War' are the highlights and it's great that we get both of them.

I am a bit disappointed that they have stuck with the album versions of some cues. Whether it's a different performance or missing material it's got to be a blow when you get your grail, only to find that one cue you wanted in its 'film form' is not included.

But, consider this ordered :)

But you all know who to blame: John Williams.

Yeah, let's blame the man who gave us (and still giving us) countless hours of pure joy. Bah...

You say that like it's a reason not to blame him.

Maybe blame is the wrong word, but there are no 2 ways about it - he is the reason why this release isn't complete.

The only reason I'm not more disappointed is that this score isn't a grail for me.

But you all know who to blame: John Williams.

Yeah, let's blame the man who gave us (and still giving us) countless hours of pure joy. Bah...

You say that like it's a reason not to blame him.

Maybe blame is the wrong word, but there are no 2 ways about it - he is the reason why this release isn't complete.

The only reason I'm not more disappointed is that this score isn't a grail for me.

Again, some people prefer to concentrate on the negative rather than the positive (i.e. more than 1 hour of unreleased stuff). It all comes down to this. Well, to each one his/her own. I'm definitely happy.

La-La Land did all they could. I applaud them for even getting the score out there again in any form other than the OST. We are getting some of JW's greatest moments ever within this set.