2012 Oscar Discussion Thread (Tintin and War Horse nominated for Best Original Score!)

Romão

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever people think of The Artist (film and score), I'm glad Dujardin got the Oscar for Best Actor. Well deserved. At least, they got that right.

Even a stopped clock is right tw. . . ah never mind! :P

Do we have the actual vote count to see if War Horse + Tintin had more combined votes than the Artist? As I recall this was the case in 2005.

Do we have the actual vote count to see if War Horse + Tintin had more combined votes than the Artist? As I recall this was the case in 2005.

2005?

Williams was nominated only for PoA, wasn't he?

War Horse deserved a nomination for Best Director. Not a win, but a nomination.

In fact, Spielberg should have a nomination for Best Director in everything he does. The films might be good or bad, but the direction is always brilliant and creative.

Oh, and I laughed big time when Billy Crystal improvised what Scorcese was thinking; and even Marty participated a bit! :lol:

Wait, the votes were actually released? I always thought that was just speculation?

Funniest moment: Christopher Guest's troupe as test audience for Wizard of Oz.

Most uncomfortable moment: The painfully unfunny "documentary-style" bit with Robert Downey Jr.

Moment when I actually punched the air: Christopher Plummer finally getting an Oscar.

Moment when I turned off and went to bed: After the music awards were announced.

And The Artist won best picture too. Well I suppose I should see it now. I cant imagine I'll end up thinking its a better film than Hugo, Dragon Tattoo, or Midnight in Paris

You probably won't if you go into it like that. It's a lovely movie.

I'll go in to it with an open mind.

None of the clips I saw during the ceremony last night made me excited for it, and I've never seen a trailer or anything

Regardless, I won't go in expecting to hate it

In fact, Spielberg should have a nomination for Best Director in everything he does. The films might be good or bad, but the direction is always brilliant and creative.

That makes no sense. That's like saying your company's employees are terrible, but the managers are all doing a fantastic job. It's not their fault.

War Horse wasnt snubbed if you ask me, it wasnt that great of a film.

Only the score and cinematography were really exceptional. I do think the score deserved to win but after finally seeing Hugo last night I cannot argue with it winning for cinematography. War Horse's cinematography was excellent but Hugo's was really, really, REALLY excellent. The entire film was a joy to watch from the first frame to the last.

You obviously haven't seen The Tree Of Life.

I haven't seen The Tree Of Life yet, but I definitely want to. I'm only speaking of the films I *have* seen, and out of the two I mentioned, I preferred Hugo's cinematography to War Horse's. But both were very good.

So WH didn't win a single Oscar??

Just as I predicted: a repeat of the Empire of the Sun fiasco!

But who the hell cares! :P

Only that EMPIRE OF THE SUN is a sublime masterpiece compared to WAR HORSE.

That makes no sense. That's like saying your company's employees are terrible, but the managers are all doing a fantastic job. It's not their fault.

It makes perfect sense. A movie might be bad but it could still very well directed... Or a bad animated movie that still has great animation. It's the same.

I didn't say it was anybody's fault, though.

JW's loss was not unexpected, but still disappointing.

War Horse is one of the most beautiful scores I've heard in years. I can't say anything against the Artist, since I haven't seen it or heard the score, but JW definitely earned his nominations this year.

I personally am not disappointed with the Oscar winner for Best Score.

The thing is, we all know how great Williams' music is, but there really is nothing in either War Horse or Tintin that is all that new or innovative.

They are Williams on great, standard form as far as I can tell. Of course, that is fantastic, and a high bar for any composer to reach.

But The Artist would die completely without the score it had. It's a silent movie, and the score was so much a part of what made it what it was, in a way no other score this year could possibly claim.

As great as Williams is, The Artist was something quite special.

Whatever people think of The Artist (film and score), I'm glad Dujardin got the Oscar for Best Actor. Well deserved. At least, they got that right.

That Oscar belonged to Gary Oldman....

As many have said, Williams loss was expected but still disappointing. But Bource's score was great and I admire the class that Bource displayed. Personally thanking and shaking the hands of his fellow nominees, his humility was touching. I respect Bource and would be very happy with his win if he hadn't stolen it from the maestro...

But still, I'm happy for Bource. Congratulations.

I think the big events at the Oscars tonight was the fact that Plummer won his first Oscar and Streep won her first one in 30 years (no more tiring comedic jabs at her lack of wins). Other than that, everything was terribly predictable, but still a fun watch (as always for me). It was certainly not as dull as last year, although Billy Crystal seemed quite restrained this year.

While I tend to agree that War Horse and Tintin are not all that original in William's canon, either (particularly Warhorse) was as deserving an Oscar as any other because non of their antecedents won an Oscar either. It seems disingenious to say Warhorse is undeserving since it sounds a bit like Far and Away, given the the latter did not win either. War Horse does not sound all that much like Williams's other Oscar wins and neither does Tintin, though maybe ET is a distant relative.

@OneBuckFilms

I don't doubt that what you're saying is true, but to use a sports analogy, even though you may acknowledge that the other team deserves it more, you're still disappointed when your team loses the Super Bowl or the World Cup or whatever.

As a JW fan, I feel like John Williams is my "team" and I will always root for him to win.

Only the score and cinematography were really exceptional. I do think the score deserved to win but after finally seeing Hugo last night I cannot argue with it winning for cinematography. War Horse's cinematography was excellent but Hugo's was really, really, REALLY excellent. The entire film was a joy to watch from the first frame to the last.

I haven't seen The Tree Of Life yet, but I definitely want to. I'm only speaking of the films I *have* seen, and out of the two I mentioned, I preferred Hugo's cinematography to War Horse's. But both were very good.

You DO NOT want to see "The Tree of Life." Trust me. You have been warned. If you thought a movie like "Mullholland Drive" was disjointed and "out there," this one will be a true head-scratcher, especially when you get to the 30-minute mark. The cinematography was nice, but I wasn't sure why half the shots on screen were being shown.

That Oscar belonged to Gary Oldman....

If Dujardin didn't win, it would have been Clowney winning. I wouldn't have mind Oldman winning, but it was a Jean Vs George duel from the very beginning, and I'm glad Dujardin was the one taking the Oscar.

Fair enough. I thought Clooney was going to take it home this year, but I would prefer Dujardin over Clooney though. But the fact is Oldman deserved that award!

You DO NOT want to see "The Tree of Life." Trust me. You have been warned. If you thought a movie like "Mullholland Drive" was disjointed and "out there," this one will be a true head-scratcher, especially when you get to the 30-minute mark. The cinematography was nice, but I wasn't sure why half the shots on screen were being shown.

Tree of Life is a good film. Its slow paced and disjointed at times, but there is some genuine merit to this intelligent film and I appreciate what Mallick was trying to do. Its not a perfect film, but a great piece of work if you ask me. In the end, its basically the 2001: A Space Odyssey of this generation, except it does a far better job than its incomprehensible predecessor...

Tree of Life is a good film. Its slow paced and disjointed at times, but there is some genuine merit to this intelligent film and I appreciate what Mallick was trying to do.

What was Malick trying to do? You might be the first one to know...

Show the struggle between nature and grace on a human being.

Nope. Nature/grace were a symbiotic force, the technocratic man and his actions were the other force, even i figured that out. :pfft:

Tree of Life is a good film. Its slow paced and disjointed at times, but there is some genuine merit to this intelligent film and I appreciate what Mallick was trying to do. Its not a perfect film, but a great piece of work if you ask me. In the end, its basically the 2001: A Space Odyssey of this generation, except it does a far better job than its incomprehensible predecessor...

Well I understand people unfamiliar with Kardashev III type civilizations and extropianism and singulitarianism might have a case of future shock with the film. In any case, The Tree of Life is an inferior film to 2001, and it's actually more vague, uncomprehensible and close minded.

no formal training in composition is one thing, but none in orchestration either? that's pretty impressive for a score that's quite colorful in orchestration imho.

they said he had no musical training in the ceremony???? as if it was something to be proud of?

OMG

yeah my jaw dropped when they said that .Exactly at the time the passed by Williams

JW must have cringed too

Jesus Christ, do you couple of mongolian inverts even realise that some of western popular culture's most celebrated musical artists are "untrained"?

Whether JW cringed or not should be the least of your worries.

I thought this was one of the least funny moments.

Most uncomfortable moment: The painfully unfunny "documentary-style" bit with Robert Downey Jr.

I thought that would've been better if the audience had laughed more. There were a few places where I wanted to laugh, but the dead silence after the punchline was so shocking that I didn't.

For me the funniest part was when Billy Crystal said "Eh..." after the giant book of music came up with that super dramatic music. Crystal seemed to get funnier as the night went on up until the Best Score, then he started getting less and less funny as the night finished.

no formal training in composition is one thing, but none in orchestration either? that's pretty impressive for a score that's quite colorful in orchestration imho.

I wonder how heavily he relied on orchestrators?

The best ones usually are.

Well, all of them usually are, so I don't think that's a fair statement. Williams and Shore barely use orchestrators, and their stuff is usually great.

I thought this was one of the least funny moments.

I thought that would've been better if the audience had laughed more. There were a few places where I wanted to laugh, but the dead silence after the punchline was so shocking that I didn't.

For me the funniest part was when Billy Crystal said "Eh..." after the giant book of music came up with that super dramatic music. Crystal seemed to get funnier as the night went on up until the Best Score, then he started getting less and less funny as the night finished.

I wonder how heavily he relied on orchestrators?

Probably a lot. So?