What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

ebullient?

Having or showing liveliness and enthusiasm. Overflowing with fervor, enthusiasm, or excitement; high-spirited. Which I think the performance in general is. :)

The 5 track Hook suite is awesome!

I've been listening to these two Spielberg/Williams albums a lot lately, except I took them both and made a mega-playlist with the tracks re-arranged into the same order the films came out.  It's quite a lovely listen if you're interesed

On 6/26/2016 at 4:31 PM, crocodile said:

Enjoy Stargate in context but couldn't get into the album.

While I enjoy the score a lot, I have noticed it washes over a me quite a bit in some places.  Sometimes I forget I'm listening to it.

While I'm not a fan of this score, With Malice Towards None is one of the finest pieces of Americana music Williams has ever written. And my favourite track on this album.

Karol

First meeting with some classical TV scores...

"Émanuel is now tumble helplessly toward a new fantastic adventure, somewhere along the infinite corridors of time..."

p_gnpd8047.jpg

The Time Tunnel (1966) (1997, GNP Crescendo, GNPD 8047)

With George Duning; Some tracks composed and conducted by John Williams.

p_lllcd1366.jpg

Lost in Space 50th Anniversary Soundtrack Collection (2015, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1366, Compilation)

Various; Some tracks composed and conducted by John Williams.

The Reivers by John Williams: A nostalgic jaunt through musical Americana vernacular and such boisterous little score that puts a smile on my face every time I hear it.

Silverado by Bruce Broughton

James Horner - The Rocketeer

Glorious!

Basil Poledouris - Starship Troopers

Also glorious!

After years of 1970s and 1980s expansions, the best 1990s scores are really getting expanded at a steady pace now too!  Here's hoping The Lost World, Titanic, Apollo 13, Air Force One, Mission: Impossible and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves are next up!

Independence Day!

Brilliant and vibrant. The sort of music that simply isn't allowed in Hollywood anymore. To rich, to up front, to stirring!

Star Trek: First Contact

Done in just a few weeks by Jerry and his son. A fantastic exercise is pure skill. And a really fantastic main theme too.

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: Obsession and Vertigo by Bernard Herrmann. In celebration of composer's birthday.

Next up: Citizen Kane and Taxi Driver. Both the beginning, and the end.

Karol

Not if you include "It Lives Again".

:P

Bruce Broughton - Lost In Space (Intrada 2015 expansion)

Fun orchestral blowout score.  I only listened to the main program, there's a  big bonus track section too.  Do people like the revised cues or the original version better?

On 28.6.2016 at 6:56 AM, Incanus said:

Williams on Williams: The Classic Spielberg Scores (John Williams & Boston Pops): I consider this one of the essential John Williams compilations, along with its earlier companion album Spielberg/Williams Collaboration. The ebullient 5 movement Hook Suite is a highlight but the whole disc is a lovely and terrific listening experience where Williams had a chance to flesh out some of his post 1990 Spielberg scores (and some from the previous decades) into concert form and results are magnificent. Sadly there has never been a follow-up album or albums as these two have done so much since then that would be worthy of disc or two or three.

I've never really warmed up to the Hook cues in comparison to the OST, but I love this album's rendition of Flying.

Avatar by James Horner: It is astonishing that while being mostly a retread of so many of the composer's previous scores, it can be so entertaining. It's like Horner's career condensed into one score really. Aliens, Glory, Willow, Titanic, Four Feathers, Apocalypto and many more make appearances but I don't mind as Horner being the heart on his sleeve dramatist he is, especially with a canvas so big as this, paints boldly and with a wide broad brush here. A terrific if familiar musical journey.

Accidental Tourist by John Williams: One of those very small intimate Williams scores that are left in the shadow of his contemperaneous blockbusters, in this case Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Piano led, monothematic and subdued, this score is really the epitome of romantic melancholy with a clever three part main theme that communicates all the possible emotions from heartache to burgeoning love during the film.

It is a pensive chamber-sized score, a far cry from the brassy boldness of Indy or Star Wars, but like Always or Stanley & Iris it holds a special place in my heart. I have to say that this along with Stepmom has to be one of those "autumn" scores for me as this has such indelible air and colours of that time of the year. The 40+ minute album can be a tad repetetive listening experience as the score is "variations on a theme" in nature but for me it is well thought out progression which has a proper musical arc and in typical Williams fashion swells redemptively during the romantic finale. On a sidenote as a relic of the LP era the end credits (A Second Chance) are placed in the middle of the album and reprised also at the end to round out both halves of the disc.

While not a classic, this is a perfect score for when you are in the mood for some quiet melancholy beauty.

Rather obscure Goldsmith score for a strange 1981 love/children's story set in Texas in the late 40's. It's marvelous, heavy on americana (The Waltons) with a light dash of impressionism (Legend) and some spooky horror cues i left out the suite because they are mood breakers (and are very Poltergeistian, anyway). Special favourites are the kite running sequence (at 03:00) and a jaunty americana scherzo á la Copland (08:23).

On 2016-06-29 at 4:59 AM, Bespin said:

First meeting with some classical TV scores...

"Émanuel is now tumble helplessly toward a new fantastic adventure, somewhere along the infinite corridors of time..."

p_gnpd8047.jpg

The Time Tunnel (1966) (1997, GNP Crescendo, GNPD 8047)

With George Duning; Some tracks composed and conducted by John Williams.

p_lllcd1366.jpg

Lost in Space 50th Anniversary Soundtrack Collection (2015, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1366, Compilation)

Various; Some tracks composed and conducted by John Williams.

Experience not conclusive regarding Lost in Space.  I listened a playlist made from the episodes that was selected on the 40th anniversary boxset and after 1 hour, I wanted to shot myself in the head.

I have never listened to something so dull.

Any interest for someone like me that never saw the series and have no emotional connection with it.

To avoid absolutely.

Wow I just saved 200 $!

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Seven Years in Tibet. One of the earliest John Williams albums I got. Remember receiving it for my birthday many years ago (in January 1998 or 1999). I had a really bad flu (you know, the actual flu) and was in bed for two weeks. And as wonderful as this music is, I often associate it with high fever and not being able to even stand up. Cause that is how I first heard it.

I remember picking up Alien, POTA, Wrath of Khan and I think Fierce Creatures as a batch right before getting sick and feeling rotten for several days. I fully associated the first two (and POTA in particular) with falling ill and relied on the other two to get me on my feet again, but I'd already started liking Alien before I was fully recovered. And luckily there haven't been any lingering associations.

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Seven Years in Tibet. One of the earliest John Williams albums I got. Remember receiving it for my birthday many years ago (in January 1998 or 1999). I had a really bad flu (you know, the actual flu) and was in bed for two weeks. And as wonderful as this music is, I often associate it with high fever and not being able to even stand up. Cause that is how I first heard it. Still, a wonderful score with an absolute kick ass collection of themes. I'm not sure whether the album might be a tad too repetitive for its own good. But it's wonderful all the same. Very grand and sprawling... and yet probably among his most meditative works.

Karol

I adore this score. All the themes are stunning. And you get some really wonderful subdued passages, like the piano statement of the Tibet theme at the very end of Reflections

2 hours ago, Romão said:

I adore this score. All the themes are stunning. And you get some really wonderful subdued passages, like the piano statement of the Tibet theme at the very end of Reflections

Williams again does wonderful things with solo instruments in this score. Quiet Moments is among my favourite pieces on the album, such wonderful piano, harp and cello work there. I associate this score oddly with Christmas as I got it as a present in 1998 or 1999. :P

Indeed, it's a score sadly underused in a mediocre film.

But it's not all about the sweeping, grandiose statements of the themes (although, had the film actually been good, I reckon the main theme could be for the Hymalayas what the main theme from Lawrence became for deserts). That remorse filled theme (which might be Heinrich's theme, I'm not sure) gets some really impressive variations and fits the whole redemption theme perfectly. But every one of the main 3 themes gets both its sweeping and gentle renditions. As I said, I adore this score

Can't say I've noticed it in the film actually, but I dig his atmospheric work for The Prestige.  Maybe I should take a listen.

Meanwhile....

dbfEN.jpg

2 hours ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Can't say I've noticed it in the film actually, but I dig his atmospheric work for The Prestige.  Maybe I should take a listen.

Didn't notice it? Oh man it was one of the reasons I loved it in the theater. He effortlessly incorporates actual melody while maintaining the horror atmosphere. One of the major reasons I dislike the genre is that it's all samey and just shrill strings and stuff. Ever take a listen to Roque Banos' Evil Dead? That falls for the genre cliches a bit but the last 20 minutes or so are fantastic. 

For all to whom 'Raw Deal', 'Commando', 'Axel F.' and 'Miami Vice' are not just empty words this should come as a journey back in time:

Yours Forever,

John Mellencamp

Although, I have to admit this is one of the least horrible Horner songs. Apart from typically horrid lyrics.

Karol