The Avengers (Written and Directed by Joss Whedon, music by Alan Silvestri)

Kendal_Ozzel

Probably deleted because it made no sense.

I've seen another deleted scene with the guy that finds Banner after he lands, which was weird, as in "random mentor figure pops up from nowhere for a scene", so the deletion of that was also a good idea.

• 1 month later...

there is an alternate ending too that continues where the opening left out.

Its as if the movie was maria hill remembering the facts, and then changes her mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't say I'm especially struck by the photography of either, especially the hoity toityness of Inception. To be perfectly honest I prefer the broader aesthetic of The Avengers, with it's broader, lighter colour palette.

Pfister is a superb cinematographer. Probably my favorite after Deakins.

He is very good. He is also about to direct his first movie, so those comments were likely nothing more as an attempt to spread awareness of his name and considering how much I've seen them the past couple days I'd say it did the job.

Pfister's comments are just tactless and rude. He's a cinematographer and he has every right to criticize another one's work, but I mean come on. The Avengers wasn't a very showy film, cinematography-wise, but it looked great in places and did the job just fine.

Exactly.

Every one kisses everyone's asses and at least he's got the balls to admit he didn't like what he saw in the Avengers.

There's a difference between saying you didn't like something and openly provoking conflict. The way he said it, it's almost like he's taunting McGarvey into firing back.

At least Whedon went the classy response route.

I agree with saying it was appalling was uncalled for. But he clarified his statements in the exact same interview saying that he saw them simply using shots to show off sets and effects which isn't necessarily wrong. Wrong word choice: probably, but not necessarily incorrect sentiments.

I haven't seen any films McGarvey shot before The Avengers, but Anna Karenina looks absolutely stunning--I was kind of surprised to find it was shot by the same DP. I guess it's just the aesthetic Whedon and McGarvey agreed on. I do appreciate the color palette, but I feel like it does suffer some from a certain bareness to its tone.

I agree with saying it was appalling was uncalled for. But he clarified his statements in the exact same interview saying that he saw them simply using shots to show off sets and effects which isn't necessarily wrong. Wrong word choice: probably, but not necessarily incorrect sentiments.

Yeah, as if Pfister himself wasn't guilty of doing the EXACT SAME THING in all three Batman movies.

Hypocrite.

How do you mean? Come to think of it, I'm kind of confused as to what those comments really mean in general. It seems like that would be one prominent function of shots in a film of this nature...I can't help but think he meant something that he wasn't articulating very well.

Yeah, as if Pfister himself wasn't guilty of doing the EXACT SAME THING in all three Batman movies.

Hypocrite.

Not really, actually. Nolan's Batman films are quite minimalistic in how they're shot. The Dark Knight Rises may be an exception here, but a lot of the action scenes are filmed quite close.

Not really, actually. Nolan's Batman films are quite minimalistic in how they're shot. The Dark Knight Rises may be an exception here, but a lot of the action scenes are filmed quite close.

I see a lot more establishing 'money shot/set decoration' shots in Batman Begins. The upwards panning of the League's mountain base as Bruce arrives, the early establishing shots of Iceland, the sequence where Batman ambushes Crane and his lackeys in the abandoned apartment complex and so forth. And as for the action sequences, they may be tightly-shot but they do allow the CGI and scale models to be shown off to their best advantage (especially the train pursuit in BB and the various shots of The Bat in action in the third film).

I'm not a trained cinematographer, but Pfister's work on The Dark Knight Rises is no less showier than McGarvey's work on The Avengers. There's a few instances where both directors seem to be indirectly channeling one another in places... and not just the climatic action set-piece but one scene near the end of "Rises" that felt inspired from Whedon's Buffy.

Yeah, I don't necessarily understand why he said what he said considering that he basically does the same thing. But I still think it boils down to him trying to make a name for himself away from Nolan.

• 3 weeks later...

um i supposed this was mentioned before...I

just heard this Led zeppelin song in the radio calle Kashmir on the radio...

And i must say that its main rythm has an uncanny resemblance to Silvestri's Avenger's Main theme.

I know Led Zeppelin's "Kashmir" inside and out, and I don't hear anything close enough that I would consider "uncanny." There is a slight similarity in the rhythm -- three short notes followed by a rest -- but the bass line in "Kashmir" is much slower and actually changes its pitch to work as the driving melody of much of the song, while the bass line in the Avengers' main theme is just there to support the melody, which is totally different.

You do, of course, realize it's a rock song with words that serves no soundtrack usage whatsoever, don't you?

Or is the facial hair pulling you back into the damp dark 70s?

People accused Muse of ripping off a John Williams melody, and there was great heartache on the board for weeks.

But if John Williams had ripped off a Led Zeppelin melody, people here would accuse Jimmy Page of travelling into the future and ripping off John Williams, because John Williams is above that.