Headphones

bob23

Earbuds always fall out, get annoying and/or just get gross from being in your ears. I never liked them.

The ones I have posted don't. I use the smallest fitting since I do have small openings for my ears.

Well, they do make earbuds with loops that go around your ears. I've already noticed that it's quite easy for headphone cords to get caught on the handles of the elliptical and pull out of the ear otherwise, which is preferred to knocking the iPod onto the floor. I've done that already. iPods are built pretty well, actually.

Well, they do make earbuds with loops that go around your ears. I've already noticed that it's quite easy for headphone cords to get caught on the handles of the elliptical and pull out of the ear otherwise, which is preferred to knocking the iPod onto the floor. I've done that already. iPods are built pretty well, actually.

Grant that happens to me...as far as the cord being caught on something and earbuds fall out. All though for me it doesn't happen that often.

I hate those plastic pieces that loop around the ears to secure them in place. The V-Moda's have them but I never bothered with them. As you know I wear glasses and stuff like that hurts my ears after a short bit.

Earbuds always fall out, get annoying and/or just get gross from being in your ears. I never liked them.

There's this great invention called the Q-tip.

Still gross. Plus, the other reasons mentioned.

That's why I like Shures. You stick them in your ear to create a seal and they never fall out, and block out most of the outside noise

But they do not go so far in as being deep in your ear canal and annoying.

The V-Moda's are great for blocking out louds noises like in a grocery store. Well that is if you've got the music up high enough and you are listening to action oritented music IE: Independence Day.

One should attempt to not give in to the urge of placing things in the ear.

One can achieve a higher level of sonic satiation, by placing the sound source away from the eardrum, and allowing it to re-verberate, gather richness and sonority.

Eye O' the Tiger peow, peow.

I hate those plastic pieces that loop around the ears to secure them in place. The V-Moda's have them but I never bothered with them. As you know I wear glasses and stuff like that hurts my ears after a short bit.

I also wear glasses. Headphones like these are quite comfortable. They do not push against the temples (arms) of glasses at all, the way that those with the continuous band that extends around the back of the head. Granted, these have more traditional soft cloth earpieces like sit outside the ears, as opposed to earbuds that enter the ear, so they don't offer any kind of outside noise dampening, but they're much more comfortable for longer periods of time. They just don't work well for workouts because the cloth -- you guessed it -- soaks up sweat, and when cranked, might bleed sound to the person on the treadmill next to me.

panasonic-rp-hs43-clip-on-headphones-with-B0001IXUEE.jpeg

Koss makes the best version of those, the clip ons, the KSC75. The only better ones I've heard are the Yuin G2A, but they are two or three times the price IIRC.

Honestly as for the cloth...just buy packs of new ones from one of these electronic bargain stores and swap 'em out once they get too funky. I run 6-7 miles every day with the spongy cloth stuff, and my sweat volume likely contributes to the damp climate North Carolina has.

I haven't had any drivers shorting from sweat.

I might get a pair of those Koss, truth be told. When I'm working out, I'm not really worried about getting the most perfect sound reproduction. I have studio mixer earcups for that kind of music. I also don't really like earbuds. The last pair that I commonly wore, I ended up with an ear infection or at least really sore ears, and I felt better when I stopped wearing them. It's probably not safe being totally isolated acoustically in the gym anyways.

I plan to get to the point where my voluminous sweat brings the Carolina heat to Pennsylvania.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying this Fiio E17 DAC to amp my headphone now.

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Headphone-Amplifier-Docking-Interface/dp/B0070UFMOW

Sounds REALLY awesome. Previously I had a USB Boostaroo connected to the onboard audio of my PC (which was already a major improvement) but this is better

it sounds fucking amazing

I'm having a few glitches though , sometimes I get no sound and have to cycle through the imputs to "reset" it even though it was already on USB . I'm not sure that's normal

• 4 months later...

So my new iMac could use a sleek set of new desktop speakers to go with it. Any affordable recommendations?

I'm quite happy with my current Logitech ones but over the past couple years I've blown through them quite successfully so during quieter moments or when no music is playing they'll emit hissing and odd noises.

So my new iMac could use a sleek set of new desktop speakers to go with it. Any affordable recommendations?

I'm quite happy with my current Logitech ones but over the past couple years I've blown through them quite successfully so during quieter moments or when no music is playing they'll emit hissing and odd noises.

Get another pair of Logitech. You could also try the Insignia brand from Best Buy...the $20 ones. They sound pretty good for what they are and they're compact.

I love my Hercules speakers. I use a cheap 24" TFT plus these speakers as my bedroom TV, hooked up to a Blu-ray player. Clear, powerful and with plenty of bass.

Amazon link - they seem to be awfully expensive in the US, I think I got mine for €60.

51A5dPRKXSL._SX385_.jpg

My friend lent me his Grado SG1000i for a week (1000$ headphones). Probably one of the best headphones that exist.

Lets see how they compare to my 225i's and if the price is worth it

no. 1000$ US

And so far they sound like it

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Statement-Series-GS1000i-Headphones/dp/B001BIQROS

Anyways the 225i are really good, but with the GS1000S it's like entering another dimension of sound I didn't know existed

• 1 month later...

Now that I've kept my friend's Grado GS1000i for a month, I'm seriously considering investing in a pair of my own. I think it's worth it long term for maximum enjoyment of music. It's the first time I have access to top audio gear like this and there really is a huge difference with everything I've heard below 500$

I've found a few places where they also sell the Seinnheiser HD800's , so I'm gonna try to audition them. Just to compare

Headphones are one of the few items I'd like to own with no compromise. I haven't played music over speakers in years and you'd probably have to fork out 10X as much for comparable sound

I'm also concluding that for any MP3 over 192 kbps, the actual gear is the single most important factor in the final sound quality. Lossless vs lossy , bit depth are negligible factors. In other words, a 192k MP3 sounds A LOT better on the 1000$ GS1000i than a lossless file on the 300$ 225i's, and I still can't really tell them apart on either headphones.

You have really weird ears if you can't tell the difference between a 192kbps mp3 and a lossless file.

It definitely is bad if you can't tell the difference between 192k files vs lossless.

I still maintain that my V-Moda Octave Noise Cancellation earbuds are the best "headphones" I've owned. Great for film scores, very comfortable for long listening and even have very tiny fittings if the opening for your ears are small like mine.

You have really weird ears if you can't tell the difference between a 192kbps mp3 and a lossless file.

I'm sure in a blind test you couldn't distinguish them that easily, especially if they're well encoded (not shit ones like the CoS Rec.

Sessions). I've read extensive articles in the past saying that over 192 k most people can't, especially the sell proclaimed audiophiles. I'm not saying there aren't differences if you concentrate to hear them, it's just not the main difference in the final sound. The headphone is (assuming your soundcard and amp is also decent)

Anyways you guys totally missed the point of what I was trying to say. Your probably concluding it doesn't matter what headphones I want since I claim 192 k MP3's improve significantly on end gear just like any other file whether it's lossless or not. So fine , keep making your own claims from your 35$ Wallmart cans.

And Trent I'm sure your V-modas are good for portable use. I have Shure SE215 which are fine for that type of use.

But you can't compare that to a 1000$ over the head model.

I never considered it until now

I'm just saying after hearing them it could be a worthwhile investment if one of your main hobby is music

Anyways today I went to the headphone shop to try a few other pairs. I brought my portable amp and ipod and listened about an hour to the Seinnheiser HD800's (those cost 1500$ here). They're the only ones I tried that equal the detail and soundstaging of the Grado GS1000's but lack the lushness and bass extension of the Grados. I also tried the AKG K701's and found them inferior to Sennheiser HD800 and Grado GS1000 in all aspects

so my choice would still be the Grados

I still wouldn't do it. I could think of a million other things that I'd need / want than a pair of headphones that are a $1,000...

I dug out my older Grado SR-60's that I thought sounded "great" for a couple of years

Now they just sound like they're broken or something compared to the high end ones.The difference is that drastic.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried the SR80 or SR125? I've been thinking of upgrading when and if my SR60s shit the bed. The 80s are only like $20 more. As for going much higher up the line in the Prestige Series, I can't exactly justify $200+ for a pair of Grados. I'd be even more paranoid about spinning the cans.

Yes I heard them

I currently have the SR 225's. I think 225's are the minimum that you can justify upgrading the 60's to and probably the best overall deal in the Grado line. 80's or 125 would be a waste of money IMO when you can get definite improvement (one you can actually hear) for a little more

But even the SR 225's don't really hold up to the GS1000i

Note: If I'd never heard the GS1000i , I'd be happy with the 225's as my permanent headphones (I'd pick the 225's over anything else I've heard that isn't the Grado GS1000,PS 1000 or Sennheiser HD800)

• 2 weeks later...

whats a good buy for film music for under 120 euro?

in ear only please.

If you mean earbuds in general.... I definitely recommend you get the V-Moda Octave. Search the Amazon Marketplace or ebay. Sometimes I've seen them go from $30-40 but they are worth the price. They come with various size fittings, including ones that are pretty small for those who don't have big ear openings, like I do. They're VERY comfortable to wear for a long periods of time and are perfect for noise cancellation.

They are great for film scores as the sound is perfectly balanced. Seriously, get them and try em' I bet you won't look back.

Shure SE 215. About 125$

I'll probably keep using those until they are discontinued. I've tried umpteenth earbuds/canal phones over the years and these are the best I've owned. They get the balance just right for orchestral music

Well, I have some GS1000i now. I bought my friend's that were a few months old and he re-ordered another pair. I don't feel comfortable making purchases this expensive online myself

It's almost indefensible to spend that much on headphones but I never listen to speakers anymore

1500 dollars?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, my limit is like 200 Euro for headphones.

No, I ended up paying 900$. He got them for 1000$ online and gave me a little gift discount for my birthday

But I swear some passages in the music move you to tears on these headphones, especially strings and horns. They are also built to last for a long time.

Dentists must be extremely well paid in Kanadia!

I'm not rich and I don't buy too much stuff. This is my big purchase of the year

I'd rather spend it on that than a ipad or whatever.

Kanadian.

Were about on-par with the US dollar now

Now you'll be needing one of these, KM ....

I already have a FIIO E-17 DAC. . It's probably a lot better than the Firefly

The regular Audio-out jack on my PC couldn't drive my headphones properly