John Williams Film Night at Symphony Hall, Boston MA June 1-2 2012

Foxfan

After the concert, simply go outside and join the line of people waiting by the exit on the north side of the building. That's where Williams comes out, and he signs as much as he can until he has to get in his car and leave.

You could even go there tonight, even though you don't have a ticket for tonight's show, and try to get something signed both nights.

It is supposed to rain frequently tomorrow (though less often evening/night). Hopefully that won't impair any possible signing!

I'm getting quite unlucky! Last year, for my first Williams' concert in NYC, our hero quickly escaped and didn't sign anything. Same story happened tonight. I was at the stage door and waited along with others for Williams to come out, as expected. Well... he got out from another exit, from what I understood. Bad luck!

Fortunately, the concert itself was fantastic. I'm no musician in any way but my feeling is the Boston Pops performed really nicely. All in all, that was an amazing experience. My seat (2nd balcony) was pretty close to the stage and offered a partial, yet fantastic view over a good part of the orchestra and I could really enjoy the conducting of the Maestro.

Listening to the live podcast stream now. The newly revised violin and cello solos in Song for World Peace were absolutely beautiful.

So in a shocking turn of events, Williams did NOT come out the stage door this year to sign things. However, the concert was AMAZING... Star Wars, Indiana Jones, all the classic stuff, plus more fun pieces, conducted by the man himself! Great fun with great people! Will post a most detailed overview and pictures tomorrow. :)

The choice to use the finale cue for the Bonding theme in the War Horse suite was a good one. I love that brass choir sound, just absolutely gorgeous. Someone mentioned before though that the Friendship theme (is that what we're calling it then?) in this new key doesn't quite have the same impact, and I definitely agree. It's a little off.

So I'm listening to the re-broadcast on the radio, and I was only half-listening to the announcer between encores, but I swear he specifically mentioned how Williams was always happy to sign autographs by the stage door. Oh, irony.

Overall, pretty good. I really dug that they did both 80s Olympics themes. Those, I think, are the best ones. They're musically like brothers. Performances were overall phenomenal and completely hair-raising. War Horse was very soulful and reacquainted me with that score, which I am listening to now.

Adventure Continues from Tintin was called The Duel on the program, so SoundtraxMaestro theorized it might be the Sir Francis cue. I guess it was titled The Duel because Adventure Continues was used for the duel, but I barely remember such details from that movie. That ended up being slightly disappointing, but Adventure is still a phenomenal piece. Audience prematurely clapped for the big false ending.

Oh, and the Red Sox fanfare was pretty good as well. I'd only heard that once when it premiered and it didn't really do it for me until last night at Symphony Hall with the full orchestra.

Although the Cowboys Overture was stupendous as expected, I wasn't feeling the other western selections as much. I mean, I liked them just fine, but as long as they were doing westerns, I've been dying to hear him conduct Magnificent Seven. The Bette Davis tribute with Now, Voyager also was just alright, but nothing compared to last year's absolutely spectacular Audrey Hepburn tribute. I'd have preferred more Williams music.

I did miss hearing some more obscure stuff like last year when he busted out Night Journeys and Jubilee 350.

WGBH has made an mp3 of the entire concert available here:

http://streams.wgbh.org/online/clas/bso/bso120604.mp3

Sorry Ricard, I have not yet had time to write up my thoughts. I do have a couple pictures I took I can post as well, hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks for the mp3. Funnily, the introducer describes THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS as his first film score.

He has been saying that for the last couple of years, and apparently never noticed the mistake...

Really? Someone needs to correct him already!

Nice to hear the "Fenway Fanfare" in a better-sounding format, and the new arrangement of "Song for World Peace".

Great Sylvain!

Indeed! Maestro Williams looks quite hale and hearty in those pictures. :)

Nice to hear the "Fenway Fanfare" in a better-sounding format, and the new arrangement of "Song for World Peace".

I'm open-minded to all the new arrangements but I prefer the original version of "Song for World Peace".

It is just perfect.

I'm open-minded to all the new arrangements but I prefer the original version of "Song for World Peace".

It is just perfect.

Do you mean the original Satellite Celebration version or the one on the Call of the Champions CD? I think both this version presented in the concert and the Call of the Champion arrangement have their good points.