John Williams Mythbusters

Sandor

How reliable is that rejected scores website? John Williams and Inside Out surely was never on the cards.

That's why all of this is in the "Supposedly rejected" section. Until further confirmation it remains there.

Is it true that John Williams wrote something like The Imperial March (sounding a bit like the Imperial Attack Motif) and Lucas told him to "Save it for the Sequel"?

It really sounds like a myth but I wanted to throw it in the mix here and see if anyone else has heard this.

Is it true that John Williams wrote something like The Imperial March (sounding a bit like the Imperial Attack Motif) and Lucas told him to "Save it for the Sequel"?

It really sounds like a myth but I wanted to throw it in the mix here and see if anyone else has heard this.

That's sounds like a mixed-up version of the Duel of the Fates story.

That's sounds like a mixed-up version of the Duel of the Fates story.

Oh really? What's the Duel of the Fates story?

That Lucas heard it in Phantom Menace and wanted to save it for the final duel of episode 3, or something like that. Also that he loved it so much that he wanted to track it all over the place, which he did.

That Lucas heard it in Phantom Menace and wanted to save it for the final duel of episode 3, or something like that. Also that he loved it so much that he wanted to track it all over the place, which he did.

Ah, well in Lucas' defence it is a great piece.

Is really John Williams the inspiration for Steven Spielberg's E.T.?

I heard Spielberg say, and I quote: "John Williams IS E.T."

Maybe if we remove the beard... :huh:

How about this myth: JW expected to write the music to Ridley Scott's alien.

I wouldn't be surprised if the TPTB mentioned Williams name at some point (they may have been thinking along the lines of Close Encounters-type music), but I have no idea if he was ever asked. According to the Supposedly Rejected site, Williams and Goldsmith were suggested. Do the Alien liner notes say anything about it?

How about this myth: JW expected to write the music to Ridley Scott's alien.

I wouldn't be surprised if the TPTB mentioned Williams name at some point (they may have been thinking along the lines of Close Encounters-type music), but I have no idea if he was ever asked. According to the Supposedly Rejected site, Williams and Goldsmith were suggested. Do the Alien liner notes say anything about it?

There was a Star Wars era interview where I recall he mentioned it as an upcoming project. Though I love goldsmiths score, it sure would have been interesting to hear such an ambient and textural sci-fi score from Williams during his golden age. Maybe like a sci fi version of Images?

Myth 10#

John Williams was set to score The Bridges of Madison Country

Williams said in an interview he expected to work on it, as at the time (1993 or 94) Spielberg was to direct that one. As Spielberg moved to other projects, and Eastwood took that one into his own hands to direct, he had his frequent collaborator, Lennie Niehaus, to score the picture.

Myth #4: John Williams wrote several songs for Steven Spielberg's aborted Peter Pan musical in the mid-'80s.

From the Hook analysis written by John Takis 15 years ago:

One of many reasons I wish I could strike that piece from the internet! Teenagers do not the best researchers make...

Yes. John Takis put that together. The music is an edit of "Remembering Childhood" from the OST while the vocals were performed by Demi Fragale, using the lyrics published in a Leslie Bricusse songbook.

Here it is.

More info

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6013

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17002

Yes. John Takis put that together. The music is an edit of "Remembering Childhood" from the OST while the vocals were performed by Demi Fragale, using the lyrics published in a Leslie Bricusse songbook.

Here it is.

Very interesting. If only the voice was mixed a little less prominently.

Myth #4: John Williams wrote several songs for Steven Spielberg's aborted Peter Pan musical in the mid-'80s.

From the Hook analysis written by John Takis 15 years ago:

One of many reasons I wish I could strike that piece from the internet!

Should I remove it, John?

The singing is horribly out of tune. My poor ears!!

Yeah it's out of tune but it had never been done before when we posted it 15 years ago. You should show some appreciation instead of complaining.

Yeah it's out of tune but it had never been done before when we posted it 15 years ago. You should show some appreciation instead of complaining.

Sorry, I didn't know you did this video.

I'm not complaining, I'm repeating to get a coach job on the next season of The Voice.

Never stop taking on new things and continue working on your craft.

See you on the next season, thanks!