Does anybody still listen to JW on actual CDs?

Josh500

Well?

I sometimes listen to random music like pop, rock, party music etc. on CDs, but I haven't listened to JW (or other film score composers) on a CD for ages.

No. I rip the CD and then never think about it again.

Same here.

Although I do look at the booklets and inlays every now and again.

I still play some in the car. I'm gearing up to replace the old rust bucket pretty soon though and I expect I'll just plug my phone into the stereo head unit and listen to my music that way.

I no longer have a CD player, only a BluRay player (and the CD drive on my laptop, obviously), which isn't the same. For the BR, I have to turn on the TV to play them, which is a bit of a hassle. I have an old HiFi DVD player in my basement that I could use more easily as a CD player, but too much hassle again.

Still, my CD's stand proudly on my shelves -- these days more like a piece of furniture and testament to who I am than actually being played. Trying to sell off quite a few of them, but the interest seems low.

But to your question -- no, I don't really play Williams on CD anymore, as I've transferred everything to iTunes, but he's one of the few artists remaining for which I MUST buy a physical disc. For completist reasons. It's a weird thing.

I listen to Williams most of my time on the go on the iPod, or ripped CD into iTunes when working on my computer. But for the proper experience I play the CD's on the HiFi.

I still don't get the idea of listening to music on the go. Too many distractions. And I prefer to pay attention to the sounds in my surrounding environment so that I don't end up in an accident.

Music listening should be reserved for proper times and places.

I still don't get the idea of listening to music on the go. Too many distractions. And I prefer to pay attention to the sounds in my surrounding environment so that I don't end up in an accident.

Music listening should be reserved for proper times and places.

Agreed. The only exception is if I'm travelling long-distance on a bus or something. But even on airplanes, I can't play that much music, since there's too much noise from the engine/air condition etc.

I experimented with earbuds while bicycling to work a few years ago, and this may be the reason for my chronic tinnitus. So never again.

And noise canceling headphones will take care of noise from plane engines etc

I tried that years ago. No, they don't. The jet engines are that powerful and intrusive. After that, I gave up on ever listening to music on a plane or at an airport and decided to go and chat to people instead.

Nonsense. I've cycled to school and work for years without developing tinnitus.

Smartypants! I see what you did there...

noise canceling headphones will take care of noise from plane engines etc

I have top class headphones that block out most everything, but they're still chanceless against airplane noise. Depends on the level of external silence you need in your listening, I guess.

I'd never play my original c.d.'s in a car

They've long since been replaced with archival copies that reside safely in my collection.

I love to listen to the Anthology while driving.

I'd never play my original c.d.'s in a car

They've long since been replaced with archival copies that reside safely in my collection.

Yep. For me, it's even reached a point where it feels plain wrong to play copies from my archival collection. They are strictly for ripping purposes only.

I hate it when strangers talk to me at airports and on planes^.

My prefered listening activity is walking. There's something about the movement that helps me enjoy the music more.

I hate it when strangers talk to me at airports and on planes^.

Me too. The nerve of some people, asking me if I have anything left in my pockets or whether I want pretzels and a Coke.

98% of the time it's a CD. The gym or a travel trip make up the other 2%. I spent a lot of money on my stereo system and not to use it would be a shame. As for the car, I use copies.

98% of the time it's a CD. The gym or a travel trip make up the other 2%. I spent a lot of money on my stereo system and not to use it would be a shame. As for the car, I use copies.

Aren't you worried about accidentally scratching your CDs? No matter how careful you are, light scratches and marks always start to appear after using them for a while...

My prefered listening activity is walking. There's something about the movement that helps me enjoy the music more.

Yes, agreed.

It's relaxing, better than just sitting or lying quietly in your room...

Light scratches and flecks have never affected playback for me. It's not like you're using them as a frisbee or scraping them on bricks or concrete.

I know, but it's not a question of whether playback is affected or not (anybody would be bothered if their CD doesn't play right). Rather, it's a question of how pristine you want your archival collection to be and remain...

In this age of computers, mobile phones, and portable music players, listening to music from CDs seems antiquated. Most young people have never bought a CD. Youtube and iTunes is enough.

I do enjoy playing CDs/CD-Rs in my car. But I reserve my JW and orchestral CDs for quality listening on headphones or speakers - with a remote control, of course.

Also, there's something especially satisfying about playing official CDs.

Last time I played a CD, it was on this thing. Yes, it's a long time ago, in a...

Sony_CD_Walkman_D-E330.jpg

Same here. Fantastic device.

Most people don't seem to realize that in terms of sound quality, portable CD players were much better than ipods...

God, I miss those days.

Most people don't seem to realize that in terms of sound quality, portable CD players were much better than ipods...

God, I miss those days.

Oh these old CD players skipped sometimes, it was a real nightmare. And to always carry with me 5 to 10 CD in my bag. Pffff...

Hooray for the mp3 players.

Oh wait... THIS was the last mistake I did, THIS was the real nightmare:

s-l1000.jpg

Again, hooray for the mp3 players.

Is a CD player, playing factory original discs, better than an MP3 player loaded with 64 kbps files? Obviously.

128 files? Obviously.

256 files? Maybe.

320 files? No.

Now take those 128 kbps files, burn them to CD audio, and compare them against your mp3 player.....

Now take those 128 kbps files, burn them to CD audio, and compare them against your mp3 player.....

Now why in the world would you want to do that? A CD is 1411 kbps, as a rule.

I guess those old portable CD players, or Diskmans, have a nostalgic value, at least for me. I still remember listening to the Jurassic Park CD on one of these babies when it came out...

I don't like bashing things just because they're old and obsolete. Twenty years ago they were a big deal, on the cutting edge of technology... :D

98% of the time it's a CD. The gym or a travel trip make up the other 2%. I spent a lot of money on my stereo system and not to use it would be a shame.

That's why I have a digital connection from my computer to my amp and my entire collection in flac format on a NAS. I used to have an audiophile DVD player, but it's broken. The only devices I now have that can actually play CDs are my two Blu-ray players and probably the PS3.

I have top class headphones that block out most everything, but they're still chanceless against airplane noise. Depends on the level of external silence you need in your listening, I guess.

My ancient set of Sony noise-canceling block out like 98% of sound. The Bose QC15s or 25s will block out everything.

My ancient set of Sony noise-canceling block out like 98% of sound. The Bose QC15s or 25s will block out everything.

The best way to get hit by a car.

The super-duper 3-CD changer of my stereo broke years ago so I have been forced to listen to most of my music through the computer so I rarely play the CDs on computer after importing the music into mp3s.

I don't really listen to CD's anymore. First, I haven't got a really good sound system at the minute. Second, I noticed that the format deteriorates over years. After losing some of my iTunes library last year, I realised some older discs won't play correctly (even though there were hardly any marks).

Karol

You just have to have backup of backup of backup for your mp3s.

Only really listen to CDs when I'm in car these days. Even then, I could just plug my phone in.

I don't really listen to CD's anymore. First, I haven't got a really good sound system at the minute. Second, I noticed that the format deteriorates over years. After losing some of my iTunes library last year, I realised some older discs won't play correctly (even though there were hardly any marks).

Karol

That can't be true, can it? CDs don't deteriorate that easily, over several years, even after 30 years...

Maybe you've been storing them wrong, or there's something wrong with your drive?

98% of the time it's a CD. The gym or a travel trip make up the other 2%. I spent a lot of money on my stereo system and not to use it would be a shame.

That's why I have a digital connection from my computer to my amp and my entire collection in flac format on a NAS. I used to have an audiophile DVD player, but it's broken. The only devices I now have that can actually play CDs are my two Blu-ray players and probably the PS3.

I haven't got around to connecting my computer to my amp. I see no need at this time. Plus, I've lost too many hard drives (and back ups) to even want to go down that road again. I enjoy looking at my collection, I enjoy reading the booklets while listening, and I simply love the whole process of scanning the collection, pulling out the CD, putting it in the player, hit play and sitting back and enjoying the sounds.

I am also a bit of a dynamic range snob and as far as '60s, '70s and '80s albums go, the original releases on CD trump most of the hi-rez digital files out there.

Karol

That can't be true, can it? CDs don't deteriorate that easily, over several years, even after 30 years...

Maybe you've been storing them wrong, or there's something wrong with your drive?

I have CDs that are from the begining of the 80's, and they still give superb and without any errors WAV.

Just make sure you use EAC with error correction for encoding (never use iTunes, it's... well, I can't say it here).

And sometimes, just try encoding your CD with another PC, the drives are not all the same.

CD-R/DVD-R deteriorates after few years... But CD, I don't think.

Karol

I have CDs that are from the begining of the 80's, and they still give superb and without any errors WAV.

Just make sure you use EAC with error correction for encoding (never use iTunes, it's... well, I can't say it here).

And sometimes, just try encoding your CD with another PC, the drives are not all the same.

CD-R/DVD-R deteriorates after few years... But CD, I don't think.

Yes, I agree.

If CDs were to deteriorate that easily, then you are bound to ask yourself, WTH am I collecting CDs for in the first place?