A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) - 2015 3CD set from La-La Land Records

Jay

I have to say, my favourite cue from the score (and one of my favourite post 2000 Williams cues) is the chorus piece heard in the Journey through Ice scene. (which in reality is the 2nd version he did)

It's also my favourite cue from the score, I think it's the most interesting one. The way he managed to put together the initial choir part "à la Barber", which has defined tonal suggestions, with the mysterious second part and its aleatoric gestures in the orchestra, and the way he let the choir flow into the latter sounding so "natural", is something that I have heard only from Williams. And the greatness of the score for A.I. is that it contains cues of so many different styles and moods, ranging from this one to the completely tonal (and beautiful) cue of the vocal end credits, which features one of the most moving themes ever written by Williams.

We only hear it during the end credits, right?

Neither version of the song is included in any part of the film at all, not even the end credits.

If I remember well, it was conceived as a tie-in product by the record company, hoping the success of the film would drive sells of the OST album and maybe help push the celebrity of the two up-and-coming popstars.

That's what I thought! They wanted to create another Céline Dion. The song itself and the voice of Lara Fabian make the intent kinda obvious. If they actually used it for the end titles they could've had a hit single on their hands.

Okay, as promised, here's the CD vs. DVD-A comparison with WAV statistics:

CD (44.1/16)

http://postimg.org/image/7hjw3s0t1/

DVD-A (2CH 88.2/24)

http://postimg.org/image/hmvozfcff/

DVD-A (5.1 downmixed to 2.0 and normalized 88.2/24)

http://postimg.org/image/u1clawbw7/

Not very good, right?

It might have made more sense to use the same scale for all three pics; In the first you go up to 20khz, but in the next two you go up to 40khz

Stefan, I tried to attach the images to the post, but it went full resolution and the post would look huge... is there a way to reduce it just for the post and view in full scale once you click on it?

Jay, I didn't get what you mean... the last two are from the DVD-A, which is in full 88.2kHz. The spectral view will naturally show a window with frequency response all the way up to 44.1kHz per channel. But that doesn't mean it will HAVE all of those frequencies. As you can see, it's limited to about 20kHz per channel, even in the DVD-A. Now the first is from the CD itself, which is in 44.1kHz (22.05kHz per channel).

I was there on opening day to see A.I. I thought it would be a return to form for Spielberg. The projector broke during the scene where David is talking with the alien robot and we were just as bored as when the film was actually playing at that point.

I remember that after David is abandoned in the woods and the screen went to black and the film seemed to switch focus to the robo-pimp, I thought it would be like an anthology film.

What phbart is trying to say is that the DVD-Audio tracks didn't live up to their full bandwidth/frequency range potential. It appears that the source material (possibly the CD master) was simply up-sampled from 44.1 kHz to 88.2 kHz, which doesn't add any new frequency content above the 22.05 kHz bandwidth of the CD. This is what's illustrated in the spectrogram images that phbart posted. Up-sampling it simply increased the data rate by a factor of two with no true gain in audio quality. Granted, the 5.1 mix is all new but could have simply been provided at 44.1 kHz as well.

Does anyone know the particulars regarding the master recordings of the score? Digital or analog? If digital, what sampling rate (44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, etc.)? If the master recordings were digital and sampled at anything less than 88.2, then other than for the 5.1 mix, the DVD-Audio disc is worthless.

(I say this as one who bought it back during its initial release, without really thinking it through... :blush:)

I was there on opening day to see A.I. I thought it would be a return to form for Spielberg. The projector broke during the scene where David is talking with the alien robot and we were just as bored as when the film was actually playing at that point.

I remember that after David is abandoned in the woods and the screen went to black and the film seemed to switch focus to the robo-pimp, I thought it would be like an anthology film.

I was there opening night. It was awesome.

A.I. was recorded digitally, for sure. I'll try to find out the sampling rate if I can.

The album hiss is hopefully a product of the mastering and not the mix. Even if it was part of the mix, a new mastering could definitely lessen it without degrading any audio quality.

A.I. was recorded digitally, for sure. I'll try to find out the bitrate if I can.

"Sampling rate", to be exact. ;)

A.I. was recorded digitally, for sure. I'll try to find out the bitrate if I can.

The album hiss is hopefully a product of the mastering and not the mix. Even if it was part of the mix, a new mastering could definitely lessen it without degrading any audio quality.

Bit rate?

You mean sample rate, right?

Edit: oh, thx99 already dealt with it.

Not at all. Sometimes I respond before reading all the posts that follow.

Plus, Jay's mistake needed to be accentuated. ;)

The noise seems to me an accumulation of all the channels of mixing console.

Thanks for uploading those frequency response images for the various formats, phbart. Did you rip the discs and analyse the tracks yourself? I'll admit it's curious that the "Advanced Resolution" DVD-A surround and stereo tracks have the same frequency response as the standard CD... but are encoded with a 88.2 kHz sampling rate, which means that they (theoretically) could have a frequency response up to 44.1 kHz. Maybe it was a "deliberate creative decision" to limit the frequency response to 22.05 kHz.

Even if the frequency response of the DVD-A was limited to 22.05 kHz doesn't necessarily mean that the sampling rate was simply up-converted from 44.1 kHz to 88.2 kHz. The sound engineer could have simply hard-limited the frequency response for the DVD-A tracks. But the benefits of having doubly-more-frequent samples (88,200 per second compared to 44,100) would result in a smoother sound.

Also, frequency response is not the only determining factor of sound quality. The sample size of the CD is, of course, 16-bit. But the "Advanced Resolution" tracks of the DVD-A are 24-bit, which will yield more detailed sound... if they are truly 24-bit -- and not up-converted.

I have a fan-edited double CD A.I. soundtrack, but I never listened to it and have no idea of its source material... or if it's tracks have been modified. It's most likely a combination of the official CD, Academy promo, and DVD-rip. I'll compare it with the DVD-A and report back.

A.I. was recorded by Shawn Murphy in 2001 at 48 khz / 24 bit.

What's your source? I was under the impression that Shawn Murphy usually records using analogue reel-to-reel tape. Maybe he -- likely with Williams' and/or Spielberg's approval -- decided to record the score digitally to give it a colder sound. I'm very much looking forward to hearing Mr. Matessino's finished product.

If the score was recorded at 48 kHz, that could be one of the causes of the sound being off on the official disc releases. Having to down-convert sampling rates that don't evenly match (48-to-44.1 for CD... or 48to-88.2 for the DVD-A) can be a lossy process if not done properly. The DVD-A should have been simply encoded at 48 kHz / 24 bit. Why it's not is beyond me.

Frankly the DVD-A just sounds like a rush job made in the early days of the medium. Shame, but I'm sure it wasn't the only DVD-A to be a fake upsample from a 16/44.1 album master!

He is saying he hopes the remastering makes the score sound significantly better than the OST did.

Probably his worst ever sounding score

The guy who recorded Willow recorded that?

There's years between Willow and A.I.. What's more mind boggling is that at the time of A.I. (starting around Seven Years in Tibet), all his Williams recordings sounded bad, while his Horner and JNH still sound fine.

In your opinion, when did Williams recordings get better again? I mean, all his 2010s scores sound fantastic

They don't sound bad in the 2010s, but they don't sound great either. The standard I hold all Williams scores to: classic LSO recordings (Star Wars Trilogy may be problematic since 1997, but that's the fault of those remasters/remixes--listen to the older releases), E.T. and Temple of Doom. These are definitive unmatched recordings.

I don't dislike Murphy's work. His Potter sound is the benchmark for what I want symphonic music to sound like, along with Shore/Kurlander. I prefer it to the drier punchy sound of the Star Wars trilogy, but I know many disagree. And obviously that's right for the music - Williams scores always have the proper recording aesthetic for the character of the music.

E.T. and Temple of Doom. These are definitive unmatched recordings.

So basically, Williams scores recorded by Bruce Botnick? ;)

Yeah but would POA have worked with that sound? It's a much less florid sort of score than the first two. Like I said, the sound fits the music appropriately.

Or the music is responsible for the sound in the first place.

Or the music causes the sound to be the way it is.

Or the music is responsible for the sound in the first place.

Or the music causes the sound to be the way it is.

That's what I said!

I mean, all his 2010s scores sound fantastic

The Book Thief and War Horse don't sound that great to me.

Modern JW scores tend to sound OK, but never amazing.