Avatar 2, 3 and 4 or how James Cameron stopped worrying and pulled The Hobbit on us

crocodile

Avatar once again proves that no one does action and spectacle like Cameron.

Sure. But like Alex said, we've seen it all before...

The film's main theme, or "Becoming One of 'The People" AKA "I See You", was new thematic content from the composer as far as I'm aware.

And it's a really beautiful melody, as expected.

I don't think Avatar was as spectacular as people claim it to be to find virtues in it.

I haven't seen the movie since its original theatre run, but it absolutely was a spectacular visual ride on the big screen. I'm talking theme park thrills here, not fucking Blade Runner.

Where theme park thrills are concerned, I only remember Quaritch falling down and then the ship behind him. And that's it.

It's mostly an animation flick, no?

Like Gravity.

Ah, that one I did find spectacular. All of its scenes have been embedded in my brain since I saw it. That is an honest thrill ride without wasting time on pointless badly designed bullshit.

I'm all for that but what about the technological aspect of making Avatar. He raised the bar, like he did with all his films.

I want to see what other stories he can tell about that glorious world Pandora.

It's a shame BloodBoal didn't post back when Avatar was incoming. He'd probably have been the most prolific commentator on the movie, before and after seeing it. He does that doesn't he with movies he doesn't like.

See this is what I hate about the score. The wailing and "ethnic" elements are unbearable as always, and even when Horner is being Horner, he's been Horner better before. And considering how craptacular the film is, there's zero chance of the music being saved by some dramatic associations.

I don't know what the fingerprints for this cue are, save for some cribs from APOCALPYTO. It is broad Hollywood scoring with mellow horns and stuff at the end but i think this cue and especially the bioluminescence cue that follows exist in a rather lovely sound world. It's not especially innovative but far from offensive (which unfortunately all the chanting stuff with the Glory theme slightly bended is so very much).

Also action music isn't Horner's forte (anymore).

I mentioned Gravity, but to be honest, where thrill rides go, Ghost Protocol is another example that comes to mind of someone doing it better than Avatar.

See this is what I hate about the score. The wailing and "ethnic" elements are unbearable as always, and even when Horner is being Horner, he's been Horner better before. And considering how craptacular the film is, there's zero chance of the music being saved by some dramatic associations.

I don't know what the fingerprints for this cue are, save for some cribs from APOCALPYTO. It is broad Hollywood scoring with mellow horns and stuff at the end but i think this cue and especially the bioluminescence cue that follows exist in a rather lovely sound world. It's not especially innovative but far from offensive (which unfortunately all the chanting stuff with the Glory theme slightly bended is so very much).

Also action music isn't Horner's forte (anymore).

I just want to mention that I looove the Apocalypto score (and I have no idea what it's a rip off of)

I am not ashamed to admit that i enjoyed AVATAR in 3-D cinema, as well as GRAVITY. As theater experiences both tickled my senses even while i found the stories wanting (or, in AVATAR's case, daft even).

I am not ashamed to admit that i enjoyed AVATAR in 3-D cinema, as well as GRAVITY. As theater experiences both tickled my senses even while i found the stories wanting (or, in AVATAR's case, daft even).

The simplicity of the first sort of fits with the concept of the film. The second is, what, 160 minutes long in the short version? Maybe if it was much shorter, and the design of the blue things looked less dumb, I would've enjoyed it more.

I enjoyed Avatar enough, but didn't find it to be spectacular in any way, neither in its action sequences nor visuals, and never felt the need to revisit it.

Yup.

Gravity was a more immersive and spectacular experience in that regard.

You can raise the bar by piling crap underneath it!

I'm BloodBoal, and I approve this message.

I enjoyed Avatar enough,

Someday I'll be able to read you and take you seriously. Someday.

Plus my comments were separated by two years - and not a couple of posts in between a la BloodBoal.

It's interesting to me this though - that I've had that movie response post of mine linked, because I'd forgotten about just how enthusiastic I was about The Hobbit. That movie (and trilogy) effectively turned me into the cynical bastard I am today. No more Phantom Menace Syndrome.

Abrams is pretty much fucked isn't he.