Michael Giacchino's Inside Out (2015)

Jay

• 2 months later...

Someone made a cut of Inside Out with only the real world stuff, without any inside the head stuff

https://vimeo.com/150483774

Awww boo, the old board would auto-embed vimeo links!

Inside Out: Outside Edition from Jordan Hanzon on Vimeo.

• 6 months later...

Inside Out vinyl singles are coming to Comic Con

Interested buyers can purchase the records individually at $15 a piece at the Mondo booth, #835. In addition, Mondo will also sell larger prints of the emotions for $50 each. Those who can’t attend Comic-Con this year will get the chance to purchase the prints on the Cyclops Print Works website at a later date.

Here are the full details for each vinyl record via Oh My Disney:

inside-out-vinyl-record-mondo-joy

Image via Mondo

• Inside Out 7-Inch Single (Joy)
  • Music by Michael Giacchino
  • Artwork by Phantom City Creative
  • Limited to 2500 units
  • Pressed on Translucent Gold Vinyl
  • Side A: Bundle Of Joy
  • Side B: Abstract Thought
  • $15
inside-out-vinyl-record-mondo-sadness

Image via Mondo

• Inside Out 7-Inch Single (Sadness)
  • Limited to 2500 units
  • Pressed on Translucent Blue Vinyl
  • Side B: Joy Turns To Sadness
  • $15

inside-out-vinyl-record-mondo-fear

Image via Mondo

• Inside Out 7-Inch Single (Fear)
  • Limited to 1500 units
  • Pressed on Translucent Purple Vinyl
  • Side B: The Forgetters
  • $15
inside-out-vinyl-record-mondo-disgust

Image via Mondo

• Inside Out 7-Inch Single (Disgust)
  • Limited to 1500 units
  • Pressed on Translucent Green Vinyl
  • Side B: Nomanisoneisland / National Movers
  • $15

inside-out-vinyl-record-mondo-anger

Image via Mondo

• Inside Out 7-Inch Single (Anger)
  • Limited to 1500 units
  • Pressed on Translucent Red Vinyl
  • Side B: Chasing Down Sadness
  • $15
inside-out-vinyl-record-mondo-riley

Image via Mondo

• Inside Out 7-Inch Single (Riley)
  • Limited to 500 units
  • Pressed on Translucent Gold & Translucent Blue Half-and-Half Vinyl
  • Side B: Imagination Land
  • $15

http://collider.com/inside-out-mondo-vinyl-records-comic-con-2016/#

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Sadness theme deconstruction talk

Yeah, I definitely noticed it too. It is heartbreaking, and extremely effective. Maybe that's why it upsets me a little when some folks say that the Giacchino technique of stripping it down to the simplest in those moments is a cheap trick or similar dismissive talk. In Lost, Ratatouille, Inside Out and others works immensely in my opinion.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Well, I ended up buying said Japanese edition and finally opened it up and listened to it this week. 

First thing to note is that it comes in a transparent jewel case, like most modern albums do; I had pointed out earlier in this thread how unusual it was that it came in a black jewel case like 90s CDs.  Well, they just made the back of the rear tray card all-black, so sadly there's no new artwork or anything to enjoy by going transparent.  Oh well.

The booklet is also identical to the US booklet, except the front cover has "Inside Out" written in Japanese instead of English, and the back cover lists the bonus tracks.  HOWEVER - there's also an additional, second booklet included with this version!  The front cover is like the album's front cover, except in black and white (well, light blue and white).  Pages 2-3 are full of Japanese text I'll have to see if I can get translated.  Page 4 is the track list in Japanese, page 5 is the lyrics to Lava in Japanese.  Page 6 is the lyrics to Dreams Come True in Japanese, page 7 shows the same still of the emotions that's on the back cover, and the back cover shows the Riley's Mind Map image that's on page 2 of the regular booklet.

So the two bonus tracks.  Track 26 is Lava again, but in Japanese.  I I think I enjoyed this more than the English version; While I enjoyed the Lava short when I saw it in the theater, when I listened to its track on this listen I was somewhat bored and thought the lyrics were a little forced.  So at least with Japanese singing you're not distracted by weak lyrics and can just enjoy the performance.

Itoshino Riley (My Darlin' Riley) / Dreams Come True is weird!  It's a J-Pop song that msut be related to the film somehow.   You can hear it here:

EDIT: Just found more info about it

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Itoshi_no_Riley

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Dreams_Come_True

So "Dreams Come True" is the name of the J-Pop group and "Itoshi no Riley" is the name of the song, and it was written to be the "theme" of the movie for Japan, with a music video of the song playing before the film in theaters in Japan.  So like Lava, it's a bonus track Giacchino had nothing to do with

Thanks for the info, Jay. Though -- just like how Edmilson reacted when I resurrected the thread for Williams' "The Patriot" just to muse about how I like to revisit the score in early autumn -- I have to say, when I saw this thread popped up after all this time, it had me assume I was going to read something about... something else! :P

@Jay Thanks for the update. I've bought quite a few Japanese score albums - largely from anime series and one thing I love about them is that there's a lot more attention paid to packaging than our western counterparts, which makes sense that these are physical items. I love the addition of obi strips and other packaging ephemera.