500 Things I Know About John Williams

Quintus

No! WAIT! I can come up with something else!

417. Uh, he likes apple pie....right? He must! Everyone likes apple pie!

416. John Williams hates apple pie for they are the living seeds of his beloved trees.

Actually, I don't see how it is. It is plainly either wrong or moot to say such a thing.

It's called "500 things I know about John Williams", not 500 actual facts.

415. Williams backed out of scoring Inchon and supposedly told the producers they could sue him but he wasn't going to do the film.

Well, in that case, that is something I know to be true, in relation to John Williams.

414. He spent some time in the Hebrew university in Jerusalem reseaching music, when preparing the adaptation of Fiddler on the Roof.

412. He doesn't think anyone remembers The Accidental Tourist. Whether he meant that he scored it or the film itself. He wasn't clear when he told me. [i'm not joking BTW]

Well, I guess he's still fond of that score, because he performed the main theme as an encore during his concerts in Chicago last November. When I met him after one of the gigs, I thanked him for that and he graciously replied "Oh, did you like it?".

Actually, I believe he's won 3 Emmies.

Jane Eyre, Heidi... and what else? Imdb lists those two and nominations for Alcoa Theater and music direction at the 2002 Oscars.

406. His son was the (singing?) voice of Adult Simba in The Lion King.

405. He'll be making his first ever Michigan appearance this April in Detroit.

404. He's met me twice :lol:

404: He's only met me once. But he came to Blossom Ohio to see me in the audience a couple of times. :)

Were you at the Blossom concert in 2002? That's one of the times I saw him.

401: He's conducted Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture with the Boston Pops Orchestra. I have it and it's great, even if its a little too quick in the most important of places (the opening especially).

400: He is master of the film franchise, often creating the themes which signal to the audience another film in a particular franchise, before happily buggering off to do another Spielberg drama/thriller.

404: He's only met me once. But he came to Blossom Ohio to see me in the audience a couple of times. :happybday:

Were you at the Blossom concert in 2002? That's one of the times I saw him.

Yes I was! Small world. He did two concerts on consecutive nights that year. The first one was a concert of his "serious" concert pieces, including his recent "Treesong". Gil Shaham was the soloist. That concert also included Sound the Bells, and other works. The second night was the big film-score concert. I'm happy to say I was able to get to both concerts. It was a great experience. Where abouts do you live? I was living in Kent Ohio at the time so it was just a 30 minute drive to get to Blossom.

Cool to know you were there too! I live in mid-Michigan, and was at the film score concert with my parents and brother (I was still in high school at the time). It was a great program, as I remember.

410. He is a Democrat.

Now you've gotten me curious. Would you mind elaborating?

It's just a safe assumption. He appeared on stage with Bono and conducted the Pops for the Democratic Convention in 2004 and in 1988 wrote "Fanfare For Michael Dukakis", the Democratic candidate for president that year. I've always wondered what would have happened to this piece of music had Dukakis won.

Even though it wasn't written by Williams, 'Dueling Banjos" from Deliverance comes to mind.

But that's enough from me, better get back to the countdown before the Mr. Breathmask comes in.... :happybday:

Cool to know you were there too! I live in mid-Michigan, and was at the film score concert with my parents and brother (I was still in high school at the time). It was a great program, as I remember.

It really was! I probably saw you there (among the other 15,000 people LOL)