Do you remember what was the first Williams scored film you ever saw?

filmmusic

Hard to say. I have a feeling it might've been Superman as a kid. Memory blurs as I remember watching Return of the Jedi and Hook around a similar time but we seemed to see Superman a lot so I'll plug for that.

It had to have been The Towering Inferno or Jaws. Both on TV, of course. I'm instantly jealous of anyone who got to see Inferno in theaters on a huge screen.

saw it a bunch of times at the theatre, Remember the first time we saw it. It was February 1975, I was 14. We went to the theatre and got tickets that afternoon for the 7-ish showing. We got home just as a huge tornado barely missed our home. Still went to the show. It had a huge 70 foot curved screen. The film had an intermission. Last one I remember. I remember before I saw the movie I had come home from school one day and there were 3 records on my bed that my Mom had picked up at Walmart for me, the Towering Inferno, Earthquake, and Airport 1975. I loved the Towering Inferno score before I ever saw the movie.

It had to have been The Towering Inferno or Jaws. Both on TV, of course. I'm instantly jealous of anyone who got to see Inferno in theaters on a huge screen.

saw it a bunch of times at the theatre, Remember the first time we saw it. It was February 1975, I was 14. We went to the theatre and got tickets that afternoon for the 7-ish showing. We got home just as a huge tornado barely missed our home. Still went to the show. It had a huge 70 foot curved screen. The film had an intermission. Last one I remember. I remember before I saw the movie I had come home from school one day and there were 3 records on my bed that my Mom had picked up at Walmart for me, the Towering Inferno, Earthquake, and Airport 1975. I loved the Towering Inferno score before I ever saw the movie.

Ah, that's nice!

So your one of the old guys here too

Like Ynyr, I'm not as old as all that!

I saw "Earthquake" at the cinema, but I am insanely jealous of anyone who saw it in Sensurround!

Me, me. I saw Earthquake, Rollercoaster, Midway, and Battlestar Galactica in sensurround.

I thought Two Minute Warning was a film in sensurround but it wasn't. Very violent film, I would like to see it again, not the altered tv but the original r rated version.

The music in Home Alone is brilliant and timeless. It has become "Christmas" music. Great job John.

Me, me. I saw Earthquake, Rollercoaster, Midway, and Battlestar Galactica in sensurround.

I thought Two Minute Warning was a film in sensurround but it wasn't. Very violent film, I would like to see it again, not the altered tv but the original r rated version.

Kudos to you, dude! No "Zoot Suit"?

I saw only "Battlestar Galactica" in Sensurround, in an English seaside resort called Southend.

I like "Two Minute Warning" (Walter Pidgeon is great, in that) but I also have a a soft spot for "Rollercoaster".

I'd be interested to know exactly where you saw "Earthquake" (don't say "in a movie thrater"!). When it opened in 1975 at The Empire, Leicester Square, London, the management had no idea how loud to have the Cerwin Vega bass-bins, so they turned them up to maximum! Ouch! Apparently, quite a bit of masonry fell from the cieling, and at the end of its run, the cinema had to close for refurbishment.

I had the chance to see "Earthquake" in London, but I chose to see "TTI", instead, fell in love with the score, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Well, my oldest memory is of Han running away from the bunker in Return of the Jedi so I guess that would be it.

Empire Strikes Back in a a theatrical Sunday matinee 1983; I was 15. Some school mates dragged me into it kicking and screeming that I would never watch such a low brow entertainment. After 10 min I was absorbed. And I stayed the whole end credits because I was floored by the music and wanted to hear more. I was already a huge classical music fan and had never imagined that movie music could be that good. After that I started hunting the LPs, which was not easy at the time in Germany.

Then came Star Wars at another matinee and Temple of Doom in 1984. After those 3 I was a Williams fan for life.

It's only listenable during the Christmas season, and I really don't like Christmas, so it gets ZERO play here!

Like many here under appreciate Jaws I believe you under appreciate this magnificent score.

Kudos to you, dude! No "Zoot Suit"?

I saw only "Battlestar Galactica" in Sensurround, in an English seaside resort called Southend.

I like "Two Minute Warning" (Walter Pidgeon is great, in that) but I also have a a soft spot for "Rollercoaster".

I'd be interested to know exactly where you saw "Earthquake" (don't say "in a movie thrater"!). When it opened in 1975 at The Empire, Leicester Square, London, the management had no idea how loud to have the Cerwin Vega bass-bins, so they turned them up to maximum! Ouch! Apparently, quite a bit of masonry fell from the cieling, and at the end of its run, the cinema had to close for refurbishment.

I had the chance to see "Earthquake" in London, but I chose to see "TTI", instead, fell in love with the score, and the rest, as they say, is history.

Richard at the time I saw Earthquake I lived in North Little Rock Arkansas. We lived near McCain Mall which had a two screen cinema. Both seated a large # of people. This is the same theatre I would see Jaws, The Hindenburg, Star Wars, Murder on the Orient Express, Somewhere in Time, An American Werewolf in London, Young Frankenstein and so many others

Well he's older than most posters here.

Shut up.

For me, it was Star Wars and Close Encounters in the theaters, both in the same year. I had to have seen SW at least two or three times that first year.

Very early on I realized there was a great relationship between music and visuals.

Me too. I always had portion of my mind on the music that was playing during movies. It translated to playtime, too, even at that age. I was humming the music even as we played the Death Star scenes over and over on the playground.

BG was another big movie in those days--along with Buck Rogers, another T.V. pilot that got a theatrical release. I'd have to say that my enjoyment of the music of Stu Phillips started not long after my appreciation for JW.