Your favourite unreleased Williams film score

filmmusic

Your favourite unreleased Williams score  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite unreleased Williams score?

• Daddy-O (1959)
    • I Passed for White (1960)
    • Because They're Young (1960)
    • The Secret Ways (1961)
    • Gidget Goes to Rome (1963)
    • The Killers (1964)
    • The Rare Breed (1966)
    • The Plainsman (1966)
    • Daddy's Gone A-Hunting (1969)
    • Story of a Woman (1970)
    • Pene 'n' Tillie (1973)
    • Conrack (1974)
    • The Sugarland Express (1974)

Well, I doubt we will have many replies here, but just wanted to post this in case some people have seen these films or heard the scores, or for future reference.

I'm sure Thor will be one that could reply. Maybe Miguel too and thx99?

i have included all the scores for theatrical films that have been unreleased (didn't include short films, documentaries, or TV).

Also, although Conrack has a released cue (and an isolated score + FX track on the Bluray), and The Rare Breed has a suite released, I included them too..

For me, without a doubt, Story of a Woman is the best unreleased score and should DEFINITELY be released some time.

The score is there at universal so someone should be interested in a re-recording if the master tapes aren't found.

Second favourite I'd say it's The Secret Ways. Lots of good material and themes in there!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sugarland Express gets my vote. It's fun!

Have never seen any of the other films before, and know nothing of their scores.

Well, you have heard 1/3 of the complete score of Conrack, in the main title cue! :mrgreen: (I assume?)

While there is some great stuff in all of these, there is one that towers above them all, and that is -- as you said -- STORIA DI UNA DONNA. It's the perfect companion piece to JANE EYRE in many ways, although more Italian than English.

The only way this can be saved at this point is, as you also said, a rerecording. The score sheets are available; what we need is an orchestra and a producer willing to invest his time and effort into such a project.

While there is some great stuff in all of these, there is one that towers above them all, and that is -- as you said -- STORIA DI UNA DONNA. It's the perfect companion piece to JANE EYRE in many ways, although more Italian than English.

The only way this can be saved at this point is, I think, a rerecording. The score sheets are available; what we need is an orchestra and a producer willing to invest his time and effort into such a project.

I couldn't believe that the last movie to be found had such good music! Trully rewarding!

And to think that this was lost, and will probably remain unreleased..

The only way this can be saved at this point is, I think, a rerecording. The score sheets are available; what we need is an orchestra and a producer willing to invest his time and effort into such a project.

I couldn't believe that the last movie to be found had such good music! Trully rewarding!

And to think that this was lost, and will probably remain unreleased..

I know.

:(

By the way, I also need to see THE PLAINSMAN in an original English dub, and not just the Spanish which is the only one I was able to find. Not that it detracts from the music, but it would help me to understand the plot and hence -- how Williams' music corresponds to that.

Sugarland Express gets my vote. It's fun!

Have never seen any of the other films before, and know nothing of their scores.

Well, you have heard 1/3 of the complete score of Conrack, in the main title cue! :mrgreen: (I assume?)

Nope, I missed out on the FSM Poseidon Adventure/Conrack/Paper Chase release; I only have the LLL Poseidon Adventure.

I'm expecting a lot of votes for SUGARLAND. Not only because it's the most famous title on the list, but also because it's a crucial gap in the Spielberg/Williams collaboration and the most recent Williams feature film score not to have a soundtrack release. But to be honest, I've never really cared much for it in a musical sense. Sure, the main theme (which has been recorded and released several times) is great, but a lot of the driving-around cues are rather non-descript "percussive shuffling", IMO.

So yeah -- historical importance and all that (and I'm all pro a release), but there are other contenders on this list that have far better music.

I would also think a lot of people have heard THE RARE BREED, since a pretty long suite was recorded on Silva back in the 90s. A much better "Americana" score than SUGARLAND, IMO.

I would also think a lot of people have heard THE RARE BREED, since a pretty long suite was recorded on Silva back in the 90s. A much better "Americana" score than SUGARLAND, IMO.

Now that you mention it, I have heard it. Doesn't change my vote (although based on your description of the remainder of the Sugarland score, that may change my mind eventually), but thanks for reminding me that I have this in my collection :)

SUGARLAND EMPRESS isn't an 'Americana' score by any means, though it has a lot of folk elements.

Depends on one's definition, I guess. Not Copland-style Americana, but a more gritty version. THE MISSOURI BREAKS and ROSEWOOD are other examples. The term has become so wide over the years.

SUGARLAND EMPRESS isn't an 'Americana' score by any means, though it has a lot of folk elements.

Depends on one's definition, I guess. Not Copland-style Americana, but a more gritty version. THE MISSOURI BREAKS and ROSEWOOD are other examples. The term has become so wide over the years.

Copland isn't gritty?

OK, maybe 'earthy' is a better description. You know, banjos and harmonicas and stuff.

I have Copland's Trio Vitebsk, and that certainly qualifies as gritty modernism if you interpret it that way.

Of Sugarland Express I only know the theme as presented on The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration. I've seen the film once, long ago, but the score seemed rather unmemorable and not very interesting to me, and I really can't remember any of it.

I also know the FSM relased bits of Conrack.

I've never heard the rest. I'm not sure I'm qualified to vote.

I'm not informed enough about these to cast a vote. I do like some of the unreleased bits of Sugarland, and the bits and pieces I've heard from the other scores.

The Main Titles of Daddy-O are really great.

Here's the highlight from Story of a Woman (a 6 minute cue before the last cue of the movie) that I had posted in the relative thread for anyone that would like to ckeck out:

http://picosong.com/eEB2/

and here's some 28 minutes from The Secret Ways:

Yeah, THE SECRET WAYS is excellent -- his first really "serious" score. I especially dig the main theme with that familiar ostinato -- you expect "Kora Mataka!" to appear at any time! :)

Honestly, I never saw any of these movies, except Sugarland Express.

Am I correct if I say that Sugarland Express is the only Soundtrack among those listed, which JW re-recorded, at least the Theme, on album over the years?

Am I correct if I say that Sugarland Express is the only Soundtrack among those, that JW re-recorded, at least the Theme, on album over the years?

I'm not sure what you mean?

Am I correct if I say that Sugarland Express is the only Soundtrack among those, that JW re-recorded, at least the Theme, on album over the years?

I believe he meant that among the unreleased scores, only Sugarland Express is the only one that had a re-recording of an extract of it.

If this is what you mean Bespin, well, there is the Suite also from The Rare Breed that has been re-recorded on album, by the Prague orchestra i think.

By the way, I think the Sugarland Express theme as it is re-recorded hasn't much to do with the actual score.. It's more of a development and re-imagining of the actual theme.

I believe he meant that among the unreleased scores, only Sugarland Express is the only one that had a re-recording of an extract of it.

If this is what you mean Bespin, well, there is the Suite also from The Rare Breed that has been re-recorded on album, by the Prague orchestra i think.

By the way, I think the Sugarland Express theme as it is re-recorded hasn't much to do with the actual score.. It's more of a development and re-imagining of the actual theme.

Sorry, my sentence was not very clear. Exactly, I think JW only re-recorded (or revisited) Sugarland Express Theme.

Where I want to arrive, it's that JW did not help us a lot to discover his oldest works...

Personally, I would also have included SERGEANT RYKER and NIGHTMARE IN CHICAGO on the list. Yes, in both cases the footage and music are primarily from KRAFT, but they're still feature-length. In fact, RYKER was a cinema release. And none of it has any release whatsoever.

Isn't there also a Screaming Woman movie he scored?

For me, without a doubt, Story of a Woman is the best unreleased score and should DEFINITELY be released some time.

yeah that cue you posted is pretty awesome

Even if you go into the only remaining version at Universal Studios Florida, the music is turned down so low it's almost impossible to hear these days. It's like Ben Burtt is in charge of the audio. I'll try to hook you up with a binaural recording of the queue line, but I can't guarantee anything.

I first hear the Botanicus theme (seemed overlapped with other music from the film score), then parts of Far from Home/E.T. Alone , a weird synth transition, then the Flying Theme (OST?), then some bombastic music and "cantina band" style arrangement I never heard before (from memory of the ride I thought this would be the bulk of the Botanicus cue but it's different)

But I'm not conviced JW wrote all of this now

All the official Universal paraphernalia claims Williams wrote it and if you hear the music in the queue line, you'll be convinced. There IS some weird synth stuff in there inexplicably.

https://www.universalorlando.com/Rides/Universal-Studios-Florida/ET-Movie-Adventure.aspx

Composer John Williams wrote the music for the attraction, the first time ever that a ride was given its own original musical score.

Of course, that isn't true. What about all those Disney attractions with original scores?

There are two versions of that celebration music I know of. Another version appeared in the promotional Universal Studios Florida Magic of Movies VHS and it sounds kinda Ewok-y, like it could have been Williams.

This is cool stuff I was unaware of, should be it's own thread for reference.All these years I though it was only the Botanicus cue split up and edited into various part of the ride as the only new music

I even went into that ride in 1998, but it was in California. I remember looking if they sold the ride music at the gift shop because it contained new music

ok, that's Botanicus and the rest of his cue. I remember him now

And a different version of that weird celebration music at the end. Considering Williams wrote Ewok Celebraion and Augie's Municipal Band it's not impossible it's him

Isn't there also a Screaming Woman movie he scored?

Ah yes, also a TV movie that should have been included! How could I forget it? This belongs with IMAGES as one of his most dissonant efforts.

So SERGEANT RYKER, NIGHTMARE IN CHICAGO and THE SCREAMING WOMAN. Any more we've missed?