Is this A.I. cue the inspiration for every generic trailer music since 2001?

King Mark

A.I. track "Replicas" between 2.50 and 2.55...that "whooosh" sound, you know that sound before a trailer suddenly fades to black and then they show a glimpse of the big monster

It's very RCPish,I' m surprised Williams wrote something like this

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The sound KM's referring to is a tutti 'glissando to highest pitch.' In other words, the entire orchestra (including chorus) slides to the highest possible note they can play. This is an aleatoric technique that you can find in many earlier JW scores, though not usually done with voices.

I see, but it does make an appearance in every action movie trailer for the past 15 years,, so I've come to associate it with the "generic trailer music" sound

TheGreyPilgrim has a thread about classical sources for modern pieces. An even cooler thread might be to see if we can find the chronological ancestry of a technique used in a modern film score.

i.e. where else do we see this immediately before AI?

That's a Sharky thread, I couldn't possibly take credit. I have considered starting an opposite thread though: recommend film music similar to given concert music. The influence works both ways these days. Tracing certain techniques would also be fun.

It seems simply a variation an an old and well used device to use a rising chord to denote a moment of importance, anticipation or suspense. Like the rising chord used for every single cut-to-a-commercial-break from every Star Trek TNG episode.

For trailer music, it is just another tool to suggest a certain atmosphere. I doubt it is specifically derived from the Williams track.

The sound KM's referring to is a tutti 'glissando to highest pitch.' In other words, the entire orchestra (including chorus) slides to the highest possible note they can play. This is an aleatoric technique that you can find in many earlier JW scores, though not usually done with voices.

I might be wrong, but doesn't he do it in both "CE3K" ("The Abduction Of Barry") and "WOTW" (when the Martians kill people) ?