The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

The Ninth Doctor certainly seems to be the best of the nuWho Doctors. He lets people die and even attempts to execute a defenseless Dalek. The other Doctors were pussies compared to this cold-hearted bastard.

Well, #9 is the first Doctor after the Time War, which is still fresh on his mind even though he tells Rose and the audience virtually none of the horrors he has seen. That's why he can still permit death, and without understanding, Rose shows the Dalek compassion that reinvigorates the race.

But do not overlook #9's overwhelming and heartfelt joy that "everyone lives" in "The Empty Child"/ "The Doctor Dances." A cold-hearted bastard would not feel this joy. 

28 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

The Ninth Doctor certainly seems to be the best of the nuWho Doctors. He lets people die and even attempts to execute a defenseless Dalek. The other Doctors were pussies compared to this cold-hearted bastard.

He wears a cool leather jacket!

The Ninth Doctor is also a bit bipolar. One scene, he's like, "I'm so glad I met you!" The next, he's like, "You don't like it, go home!" There's a kind of instability to him that makes him more interesting. He's kind of like the Daniel Craig James Bond, only more eccentric.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Yes, the way he modulates from happy happy happy to glum is great!

Though that's a trait that I'd ascribe to Tennant's Ten more than the others. But Eccleston was great of course.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4415054/Kris-Marshall-set-replace-Peter-Capaldi-Doctor-Who.html

This is the guy who went to America in Love Actually and banged a bunch of hotties?

Looks like the news/rumour is spreading to other news sources too.

With a source apparently saying 'They won’t risk a woman Doctor.' WTF? I fail to see how casting a female lead is that much of a risk in a show which has needed rebooting for a long time. Utterly ridiculous suggestion.

Marshall was good in My Family - superb comic timing. If this is true he should be good. He's definitely a more Tennant-style Doctor. I remember hearing rumours back at Christmas that the reason for Capaldi's departure was that some new person in charge of Who wanted to appeal more to a younger crowd. This idea of returning to the Tennant era, and not wanting to take any risks, suggests a new producer who wants to play everything safely.

Maybe now that they've effectively lost Top Gear (in my opinion), they need a guaranteed hit.

I thought it was ok, but quite average. The story was very unfocused. Bill seems fun, and Capaldi was great as usual. Nardole had some  funny moments, but I'm not a fan of having him around in regular episodes. I think he disturbs the Doctor/companion relationship.

Nice to hear Clara's theme again.

It seems the key to the quality of Star Trek and Doctor Who comes down to which one reigns supreme on the telly. Who really started to kick ass after the original Trek was cancelled. In fact, they were almost both cancelled, but Who won out. Who ended in '89 just went TNG started to get great. As Trek declined and was cancelled for the first time since 1969, Who returned. So with a new Star Trek series in development, will we see the downfall of Doctor Who? Will they both suck? It's happened before.

Things I liked about THE PILOT:

- seeing the Movellans, again,

-the picture of Susan,

- Matt Lucas' character (against my expectation),

- Heather.

Things I didn't like:

- the over scored, portentous music (usually killing good, would-be quipps by ML),

- Bill (most annoying companion ever? And that's after one freakin' episode!

The Doctor should have taken Heather),

- all this right-on, Guardian-reading  PC, LGBT stuff. Great for QUEER AS FOLK. and TALES OF THE CITY; innapropriate for this programme,

- the fact that the show blew its wad by thinking that it needed to advertise John Simm. Has DW become that desperate?

Not really a fan of Kris Marshall, though I know some people find him amusing. I suppose he's quirky enough, but what about charisma? He's not exactly brooding is he. Isn't that all the rage these days? 

I've seen the odd episode of MY FAMILY; never seen a single microsecond of DEATH IN PARADISE; have seen the BT ads; have seen LOVE ACTUALLY.

He's never been on my radar, but then again Tom Baker was not on most people's radar (unless they were fans of Ray Harryhausen films, and/or Russian historical epics), and look what happened, there.

53 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

I've just got to know if that was a perm or what was going on with his hair.

You had Heather to look at, and all you can think about, is Capaldi's hair?????!!!!!

You are one messed-up dude!

11 hours ago, Quintus said:

Not really a fan of Kris Marshall, though I know some people find him amusing. I suppose he's quirky enough, but what about charisma? He's not exactly brooding is he. Isn't that all the rage these days? 

They tried with Capaldi, but that didn't seem to have worked.

Tennant and Smith weren't exactly broody, were they?

Was sold on Bill after this exchange -

'Why do you run like that?'

'Like what?'

'Like a penguin with its arse on fire'.

And I believe Nardole is going to pop in and out of this series as opposed to being in every episode. 

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

They tried with Capaldi, but that didn't seem to have worked.

Tennant and Smith weren't exactly broody, were they?

Tennant was the angriest Doctor of them all!  But not especially broody, no.  Just self-righteous rage.

Yeaaaah, that was a good part.  I love how putting his daughter's bullies in their place was like this vent for all his anger over the case that he came out of with newfound confidence.  I won't be able to watch tonight's Broadchurch finale until tomorrow night, sadly.

Just now, Sweeping Strings said:

I'll not catch it tonight either, I'm opting for the terrestrial premiere of Guardians Of The Galaxy over on BBC1 (have only seen it once and always meant to see it again).  

I hope that'll be on iPlayer for a while, I haven't seen it in a couple of years.

Love how movies go onto the iPlayer due to the BBC showing them without ads. The only free-to-view on-demand service on which it happens.  

I see Rescue Dawn is on there after its showing the other night ... have never seen that. Maybe I'll follow Guardians with it, not back in work until Wednesday after all. 

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Tennant was the angriest Doctor of them all!  But not especially broody, no.  Just self-righteous rage.

I thought he was the saddest of the Doctors. Perhaps even slightly bipolar, with a tendency to switch between deeply rooted sadness and full on excitement with the blink of an eye. But the sadness was always there.

Rumour about the season finale - 

Spoiler

Doctor Who will have a new time travelling companion in the Christmas Special – in the shape of the first Time Lord.

Harry Potter star David Bradley will reprise his role as William Hartnell’s original Doctor, which he previously played for the BBC sci-fi show’s 50th drama An Adventure In Space and Time.

He will flank Peter Capaldi’s 12th incarnation in this year’s festive outing, following the departure of Pearl Mackie as Bill Potts at the end of this series (despite rave reviews after her debut on Saturday).

In the plot, the first Doctor has to help the current one play out his last mission in the Tardis. The pair must work together to save home planet Gallifrey by moving it to another dimension.

Fans will discover the close-up shot of Capaldi’s eyes from the 50th special, The Day of the Doctor, was actually the start of his own regeneration.

Ooooh! 

6 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Rumour about the season finale - 

Hide contents

Doctor Who will have a new time travelling companion in the Christmas Special – in the shape of the first Time Lord.

Harry Potter star David Bradley will reprise his role as William Hartnell’s original Doctor, which he previously played for the BBC sci-fi show’s 50th drama An Adventure In Space and Time.

He will flank Peter Capaldi’s 12th incarnation in this year’s festive outing, following the departure of Pearl Mackie as Bill Potts at the end of this series (despite rave reviews after her debut on Saturday).

In the plot, the first Doctor has to help the current one play out his last mission in the Tardis. The pair must work together to save home planet Gallifrey by moving it to another dimension.

Fans will discover the close-up shot of Capaldi’s eyes from the 50th special, The Day of the Doctor, was actually the start of his own regeneration.

Ooooh! 

Hmm.... Interesting. :D

Artificial intelligence that turns on its creators is a sci-fi staple, but 'Smile' was a nice spin on it and certainly an improvement over Frank Cottrell-Boyce's previous Who episode 'In The Forest Of The Night'.  

Yeah it was a nice first adventure for Bill.  The concept of grief as a plague was off-putting in a cool way.

The ending was pretty weak, a cop-out basically where the Doctor can ride away feeling impartial and above the fray.