Yub Nub or Victory Celebration?

Quintus

Yub Nub or Victory Celebration  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Yub Nub
    • Victory Celebration

I prefer it to VC!

This song's ok. The lead singer doesn't seem to be comfortable with the pitch he sings the bulk of the song at, because his falsetto suffers throughout.

It reminds of me of The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill, with somebody like Yoko Ono singing sporadic backup.

It's a lot better than I can sing, though. Fortunately my Christmas album will never see the light of day in an online distribution setting...

I still prefer the Ewok Celebration that's on the ROTJ CD from the 1993 box set. That's the one where a lone Ewok exclaims "a la loo!" before the piece ever starts. Then on Disc 4, they play the film version of the Ewok singing but cut to an alternate version of the ESB end credits. O...k...

I much prefer the film version of "Funeral Pyre for a Jedi."

I don't. It's lovely, but the big moment is basically the same as somewhere in the concert suite. The "magic fire music" in the other version is brilliant.

Are we on the same page here? The film version of "Funeral Pyre for a Jedi" goes through one complete statement of the Force theme, then develops the Force theme into new material - nothing from the concert suite that I'm aware of. Lovely string writing. The alternative version, on the other hand, simply states the Force theme twice. Brass is predominant.

I much prefer the film version of "Funeral Pyre for a Jedi."

I don't. It's lovely, but the big moment is basically the same as somewhere in the concert suite. The "magic fire music" in the other version is brilliant.

Are we on the same page here? The film version of "Funeral Pyre for a Jedi" goes through one complete statement of the Force theme, then develops the Force theme into new material - nothing from the concert suite that I'm aware of. Lovely string writing. The alternative version, on the other hand, simply states the Force theme twice. Brass is predominant.

Exactly . The film version is amazing .I was so pissed off in 1983 that the OST had an alternate

I wish I could remember being pissed off in 1983. About anything!

Hey I just realised what is wrong with VC, it's in the wrong movie! It should have played at the end of TPM and the VC from TPM should be in RotJ instead. With its twist on the Emperor's theme, it would make a lot more sense and thus be far more suitable.

the twist of the emperor theme is great in TPM, as it is foreshadowing.

They are celebrating victory with the newly elected Chancellor Palpatine. Little they know yet of his true nature.

• 6 years later...

I still have no idea such a great piece of music like Yub Nub was replaced with something so bland and generic. As if Lucas felt he didn't have the technology in 1983 to make the music as fitting as he felt he could in 1997? He obviously approved it in '83, so why the drastic and unnecessary change?

I have no special attachment to either, certainly wouldn't call either of them great. I like that the latter is a little more melancholy, even if it sounds like something Williams came up with in an hour on his day off. Yub Nub may be more idiosyncratic but I don't know...that "celebrate the love" refrain really does nothing for me.

Yub Nub is so corny and it didn't catch the fall of the empire musically. Whereas Victory Celebration captures it very well, it's the true ending of the saga.

You cannot even play Yub Nub in a concert, most people would laught at that. You can't take this piece seriously. Besides, in Yub Nub there is Ben Burtt influence in there. Williams and Burtt worked together on this pieces, because of the Ewok language. Victory Celebration is pure Williams without any influence from the outside.

Man, even the title "Victory Celebration" fits better than "Ewok Celebration"!

Sorry guys.

Are you kidding? The snobbiest orchestra in the world, the Vienna Philharmoic Orchestra was playing Star Wars music. They said this music has a high level.

And other great and world best orchestras playing Williams music and take this very seriously. And of course, some of the golden age scores.

We don't live in the 90's anymore, Qunitus. Time has changed, you know.

Grew up with the SE. I remember watching the theatrical version a few years back for the first and only time. When Yup Nub came on I didn't know what had happened. I thought my phone had started playing a random youtube video or something. It was really weird. Just doesn't sit with me.

Victory Celebration is perfect to me and superior to Yub Nub in every way.

Sorry ckappes, movie music is still very much shopping mall muzak in prestigious acoustical venues such as the O2 Arena and Knebworth.

The Star Wars theme song is only really famous anyway due to the sterling covers by Meco.

There, I broke the tie. I don't mind Victory Celebration. It fits the "new" ending, and seems appropriate for a wide reaching celebration. But, I have to respect the original, which perfectly fits the more intimate celebration taking place only on Endor. It's the way I remember it as a kid, and will always be the one true ending.

Generally, movie music today, people shows more tolerance than in the past.

But even if I say you are right, that doesn't mean that I change my mind. Every time I listen to Yub Nub, I sneered softly.

Ben Burtt influence plus an extremely corny piece... Sorry, but Star Wars and the music is not comedy.

You was joking? Okay, I didn't notice. Overall, I think we have a friendly discussion. So no worries.

After revisting Yub Nub right now, there is one thing that let me thinking and I totally forgot...

Which Yub Nub we are exactly talking about? The album version, where an Ewok singing the lyrics or the actual film version presented by chorus?

Are you kidding? The snobbiest orchestra in the world, the Vienna Philharmoic Orchestra was playing Star Wars music. They said this music has a high level.

It took them decades to take on this music, and when they did, it was during their annual "pops" style concert. And if I remember, it was originally going to be conducted by Ozawa, who I assume had a hand in finally bringing some Williams to the table (just as I assume he was involved, during his artistic direction, in planning that Harry Potter concert at the state opera, which never materialised). Welser-Möst only stepped in at the last minute. I wonder what he thinks of the music. He's a great conductor (and incidentally Ozawa's successor at the state opera), but also rather snobbish it seems.

I prefer the film version.

Yeah, that's the point. I do, too. Although I still like the Victory Celebration better, this is kinda fun - in a positive way, of course.

It took them decades to take on this music, and when they did, it was during their annual "pops" style concert. And if I remember, it was originally going to be conducted by Ozawa, who I assume had a hand in finally bringing some Williams to the table (just as I assume he was involved, during his artistic direction, in planning that Harry Potter concert at the state opera, which never materialised). Welser-Möst only stepped in at the last minute. I wonder what he thinks of the music. He's a great conductor (and incidentally Ozawa's successor at the state opera), but also rather snobbish it seems.

Agreed, Marian. The reason why they are open for new music is that the old conservative guys are almost gone now. Imagine, until 1996 there were no women in the Vienna Philharmonic. They don't even like Mahler until then, quote from Lorin Maazel (Rest in Peace) in his Mahler cycle in the 80's. The music of Mahler had a boom in the 60's, so the VPO is 50 years backwards, if you think about it.

But the VPO really said in an interview about the music of John Williams (in this case Star Wars), the ochestra only playing music with a grade of musical level. And the music of Star Wars has this criterion.

I'm saddened that the new version has been around for so long that it's the only one that many fans now are familiar with. The end of RotJ should be festive and jovial, not melancholy. And the new music is barely audible in the new planet shots anyway, so I fail to see the point.

After mum took me to see the SE at the cinema in '97, that was the change she fumed about the most.

I don't give a shit about Victory Celebration. It isn't part of the score to Return of the Jedi, it's some unrelated piece composed in the late 90s. It's annoying. I don't want to hear a children chorus going "ya ya yaaaa yaaaa yaaaaaa!"

I don't much care for either but the original is slightly better.

While this topic has been resurrected, I vote "Victory Celebration." Sorry to be sacrilegious here, but "Yub Nub" always struck me as awful schlock. It's entertaining in its own cheesy way, and the film version is certainly better than the album version, but I'll take "Victory Celebration" any day.

That being said, there are issues with "Victory Celebration." It doesn't really feel like an organic part of the whole film, just like most of the Special Edition changes. The album version has that incredibly cheesy children's chorus going "ya ya ya"...not a fan of that at all. As others have said, it does feel rather New Agey in its instrumentation and mixing. And the end of the cue is utterly baffling - it's not clear whether Williams intended it to segue into the credits in the musically inept way heard in the film, or to resolve on its final chord and then switch over to the credits after a beat of rest, as heard on album. Neither option is a good one. I don't know why he didn't write it so it would properly resolve and segue to the first Eb major chord of the credits.

Still, the melody itself is a strong one, IMO. The fact that it's not purely celebratory - that it does have a bit of a bittersweet edge to it - is appropriate for two reasons. Firstly, the Rebel victory came at a steep cost; lives were destroyed and friends were lost, and even in its original form, the film itself always reminded us of that by showing the ghosts of Anakin, Yoda, and Obi-Wan. Secondly, this is the final scene of the OT, and at the time, it was going to be the final scene of ANY Star Wars movie. (And till next year at least, it's still chronologically the final scene of the saga.) There's a certain bittersweetness about that from an audience perspective, too. I think it works well.

Granted, none of this will change anyone's mind - we're gonna like what we like, and perhaps being part of a generation that was younger at the time of the SE releases influenced my opinion on the scene. Maybe I would have developed more nostalgia for the grotesque cutesiness of "Yub Nub" otherwise. ;)

If GL decided to extend the ending to Star Wars and show more shots of rebels on Yavin and other outposts celebrating the destruction of the Death Star, and he asked Johnny to write a new piece of music to replace the The Throne Room music, would so many people approve?

That being said, there are issues with "Victory Celebration." It doesn't really feel like an organic part of the whole film, just like most of the Special Edition changes. The album version has that incredibly cheesy children's chorus going "ya ya ya"...not a fan of that at all. As others have said, it does feel rather New Agey in its instrumentation and mixing. And the end of the cue is utterly baffling - it's not clear whether Williams intended it to segue into the credits in the musically inept way heard in the film, or to resolve on its final chord and then switch over to the credits after a beat of rest, as heard on album. Neither option is a good one. I don't know why he didn't write it so it would properly resolve and segue to the first Eb major chord of the credits.

The children chorus is cheesy, I also like it better without that. But that is much better than the cheesy Yub Nub.

As for the segue, in FSM Issue Vol. 3 Nr. 3, Matessino responded:

As to the placement of the track against the “End Title,” again the filmmakers gave us no indication as to what they were doing, and were under no obligation to do so. John Williams was concerned, however, that “Victory Celebration” ends on a B-flat major chord and the “End Title” begins in E-flat major. Obviously his concerns were justified, since what is heard in the film is downright sloppy. Guessing that this is how it would be, we tried this same timing for the CD at first. As predicted, it was a jarringly unmotivated modulation. But allowing the B-flat major chord to resolve before coming in on the E-flat chord two beats later made it musically palatable because the tonic of the B-flat chord is the dominant in E-flat, and therefore one’s ear can expect this as a logical chord progression.

That said, I really like it how it is presented on CD with a general pause before the end credits starts.

Still, the melody itself is a strong one, IMO. The fact that it's not purely celebratory - that it does have a bit of a bittersweet edge to it - is appropriate for two reasons. Firstly, the Rebel victory came at a steep cost; lives were destroyed and friends were lost, and even in its original form, the film itself always reminded us of that by showing the ghosts of Anakin, Yoda, and Obi-Wan. Secondly, this is the final scene of the OT, and at the time, it was going to be the final scene of ANY Star Wars movie. (And till next year at least, it's still chronologically the final scene of the saga.) There's a certain bittersweetness about that from an audience perspective, too. I think it works well.

Well said.

Granted, none of this will change anyone's mind - we're gonna like what we like, and perhaps being part of a generation that was younger at the time of the SE releases influenced my opinion on the scene. Maybe I would have developed more nostalgia for the grotesque cutesiness of "Yub Nub" otherwise. ;)

I am one of the "older" generation, I grew up with the originals. But I am not of those who are saying: "This and that are better because of the nostalgic factor" or "That's my childhood and that's the reason I like it better." If I listen to a revised version and if it fits better or is superior from the composition, then this is the way I am going to go.

There two major things I really liked about the Special Editions: First, we got finally the complete soundtracks of trilogy. And second, Yub Nub is replaced with this strong piece, which is now presented on the SE.

The '93 set is superior anyway.

I sold it. I said in another thread, that the Anthology is obsolete. The track order with all those cues without any combinings in chronological order doesn't have musical sense and logic in it. The structure and flow is far better on the complete presentations. And Disc 4 is forgettable.

The '93 set is superior anyway.

I sold it. I said in another thread, that the Anthology is obsolete. The track order with all those cues without any combinings in chronological order doesn't have musical sense and logic in it. The structure and flow is far better on the complete presentations. And Disc 4 is forgettable.

It has better artwork, superior sound quality, as well as tracks absent from the Special Edition releases. It's an important part of any film score collection. Nothing obsolete about it at all.