Jurassic Park 20th Anniversary OST (Digital only release)

Sharkissimo

I wish we had that cue when it shows Dennis' jeep skidding through the mud

Yea, that's 8m1 The Trouble With Dennis. Always been one of my favorite unreleased cues!

"Hungry Raptor" is such a revelation, I guess I never heard it over the sound effects.

Well, only 0:53-1:42 was used in the film. 0:00-0:53 and 1:42-end were dropped (and replaced by tracked music)

That's not all, Jason. There is at least one part in the T-Rex Chase part of the track that is NOT in the film as well.

Yes you're right, the part from 2:33-2:37 on the iTunes track! Thanks for reminding me!

I pulled this from the digital booklet:

20th Anniversary Edition Credits

Executive In Charge Of Music For Universal Pictures: Mike Knobloch

Music Business Affairs For Universal Pictures: Philip M. Cohen

20th Anniversary Edition Music Editor: Ramiro Belgart

20th Anniversary Edition Remastered by Patricia Sullivan at Bernie Grundman Mastering, Hollywood, CA

20th Anniversary Edition Special Thanks to: Doug Barasch, Celeste Chada, Chris Crichton, Jaime Feldman, Angela Leus, Monique McGuffin Newman, Meire Murakami, Eric Polin, Bruce Resnikoff, Jamie Richardson, Tom Rowland, Jake Voulgarides, Nikki Walsh, Todd Waxler, Steve Wengert and Allison Wood.

Oh hey, this confirms the entire CD was remastered!!

Damn, that makes me more frustrated that the entire CD was remastered and yet is presented to us in LOSSY quality. Can we maybe ask them to release a lossless version at least? lol. Sorry if that is nitpicky, but come on! lol.

If that's nitpicky, then consider me a picker of nits, as well.

I mean, first of all...WOW! Totally unexpected, and very much appreciated. It's great that they went back and released most of the remaining music. I also think that if they had to pick three cues to STILL not release, they picked the right three.

But...

Only lossy digital files?

Gah, I hate being a complainer, but this makes it so much harder to justify spending the money. If it were the totally complete score, already perfectly assembled and everything, it wouldn't matter. 256kbps AAC sounds identical to lossless to my ears, so I'd just listen to it as-is and be happy. But with this release being what it is, I know I'll just want to edit the material. Then I have to keep the edit lossless in order to avoid re-compressing the material from this release, which means I end up with an edit with lossy quality but lossless size - the worst of both worlds.

Maybe I'll hold off for a short while, just to make sure they don't do a CD release.

Regardless, I'm very, very thankful that this wonderful material has finally gotten released, and I also understand that CDs are becoming less and less profitable, sadly.

That's a really good point.

Bah...what the hell, here goes nothing!

EDIT: By the way, I retract what I said earlier - given the choice between "The Trouble With Dennis" and "The Coming Storm" (the cue, not the track), I'd take the former. But not that big a deal.

I agree with EVERYTHING you said, Datameister. It's not even close to being bittersweet, but it's something I wanted SO LONG that I just want to have it as best as it can be now. But I too will support this release, obviously. I did have a thought though... I wonder if someone like Intrada COULD release a CD version? I know it's too long, but if they took off the "End Credits" track from the OST (which we all know is basically a cut/paste job), wouldn't it all fit? I mean they are doing the same for Disney's releases now, and they have released Universal scores before. I wonder if this could happen?

Well it's not that shit.

256 AAC is very good quality technically. At this quality I can't tell from lossless even with my super duper Fiio amp and Grado 225 headphones

Still, we need a CD. I mean, come on. This isn't some Remote Control Ventures score of the week, it's Williams Jurassic Park.

This score always had a weird sound to it. I mean, not exactly on its own, but when played alongside other scores.

For editing I agree.

Still....as far as I'm concerned we don't have the recording sessions with clean endings to every cue so I'll just be putting all those tracks in approximate chrono order

It sounds worse to split them and make some fake reverb endings or fadeouts whatever.

I'll consider JP a closed book now . If we get more material to work with I'll take it too, but I don't really remember anything noteworthy in those 3 remaining unreleased cues

With all the SHIT re-issues of the Star Wars OST's, I'd become so cynical that I though we NEVER EVER hear these new cues, so it's a pretty good day for not expecting anything at all

So do the bonus tracks have the cues separate with silence between them or crossfade them without clean openings and endings?

I'm doing an approximate chronological playlist for now, with album versions.

The new tracks are pure Williams in their editing and lack of chronological ordering. But hell, at least we got them.

So do the bonus tracks have the cues separate with silence between them or crossfade them without clean openings and endings?

I'm not sure they could be split in a satisfactory fashion

Now I remember why I hate the iTunes store so much.

I'll still buy it, though, if it ever realizes that I actually am entering the correct password - the one that I just changed it to, after several attempts that culminated in session timeout errors.

This as jaw-droppingly amazing as it is surprising!

Still, I'm going to share Jason's disappointment with The Trouble with Dennis. That was probably my favourite unreleased cue - but The Coming Storm and The Encased Mosquito are very much a comfort for that :)

Too bad it's lossy, but I'm going to be optimistic and hope it's going to be released on Qobuz as well - it's after all an anniversary edition of a famous soundtrack album of a high-profile movie.

I noticed something on the iTunes version of the track "Dennis Steals The Embryo". It seems to be presented with a clean ending now, and "A Tree For My Bed" with a clean opening. Or did they just fade them in/out? Either way, they sound clean now and the two tracks don't crossfade into each other like they did on the OST (which many may not have even noticed).

I also want to add, the inclusion of the "T-Rex Chase" (with even MORE of it never heard before) fulfills my greatest desired unreleased track that I have ever had. I mean, I have wanted this track basically since I was a kid and had the OST, looking for it. Definitely number one on my holy grails list, which can now only be topped by a CD release of it (which I'm REALLY hoping for but not counting on).

No surprise to anyone that I'm more than satisfied with the existing release (in fact, I have a very strong connection to that particular program that I don't want to "mess up"), but it's fascinating to hear that the Mr. DNA music is being released -- if that is indeed it. I remember some rumours spinning around awhile back that this wasn't written by Williams, but by someone else. I'm glad to see that it was indeed Williams' work -- his first attempt at animated scoring, disregarding some early main title animations in the 60's.

Maybe I can download these tracks as extra curiousity 'bonus tracks' at the end of my album program.

No surprise to anyone that I'm more than satisfied with the existing release (in fact, I have a very strong connection to that particular program that I don't want to "mess up"), but it's fascinating to hear that the Mr. DNA music is being released -- if that is indeed it. I remember some rumours spinning around awhile back that this wasn't written by Williams, but by someone else. I'm glad to see that it was indeed Williams' work -- his first attempt at animated scoring, disregarding some early main title animations in the 60's.

Maybe I can download these tracks as extra curiousity 'bonus tracks' at the end of my album program.

FYI, Williams kept the OST album program and put the 4 bonus tracks at the end already.

That's great. However, I just now discovered that a) you have to buy the whole album again to get those four tracks and b) it's not available to non-US citizens(?). So that's that. No biggie, though.

That's great. However, I just now discovered that a) you have to buy the whole album again to get those four tracks and b) it's not available to non-US citizens(?). So that's that. No biggie, though.

This is really the pits. I'm in South Africa and this is not available on our iTunes store, much like The Land Before Time and other old MCA titles that are long out of print and impossible to find at a reasonable price. So what now?

On another note, does anyone know anything about the short piece of music that was used as the end credits on the Making of Jurassic Park laserdisc? Is that piece included in any of these bonus tracks?

There are true expansions of other Williams releases in the works right now, and coming out soon. A new release of The Fury or Home Alone 2 or Witches of Eastwick in the meantime does not hinder their progress.

Jason, can we assume that this release is one of the true expansions mentioned above, you seemed to be as surprised as the rest of us regarding this one?

As I'm not able to access the US iTunes store, I cannot listen to any samples, any chance of some downloadable samples on the site (legally, of course)? :)

Doesn't Universal Music put audible watermarks on their digital files, I've read elsewhere that these degrade the sound quality quite noticeably?

I'm really upset about not being able to get this due to the US only nature of the release, one can only hope that Intrada or some other label will be able to twist Universal's arm to release a physical CD at some point... :nopity:

I am also tremendously grateful to have this new stuff (uncut "T-Rex Chase" and "Hungry Raptor"? Hell yeah!), but that's the biggest headscratcher for me: Not only are Intrada and Universal are working together, but they've been working on special titles in honor of Universal's anniversary, and Jurassic Park is one of their major classic blockbusters, celebrating its own anniversary. It seems like a no-brainer to be a full-blown comprehensive release from Intrada, and yet it's getting a digital release in this form with minimal fanfare (as far as I can tell). It makes even less sense that La-La Land has been releasing such titles with no problems (in the case of 1941, from Universal no less!). Is Williams somehow more "protective" of that early '90s period (hence Hook)? Is there a CD release forthcoming, and Williams wanted a chance to take a stab at the unreleased material in his own way for the mainstream re-release?

I don't get it.

Has anyone heard the complete album? I realize it's shitty lossy sound, but does the remastering sound any good? I'm curious what they could do with this score.

The sound is NOT shitty! Apple used extremely high quality encoding here, it doesn't sound any different from an actual CD on my nice headphones.

And yes the ENTIRE CD has been remastered and it sounds great!! :up:

On another note, does anyone know anything about the short piece of music that was used as the end credits on the Making of Jurassic Park laserdisc? Is that piece included in any of these bonus tracks?

That's the beginning of Hungry Raptor

Jason, can we assume that this release is one of the true expansions mentioned above, you seemed to be as surprised as the rest of us regarding this one?

The first part of your statement is wrong, the second part of your statement is right. I had NO idea this was coming!

Doesn't Universal Music put audible watermarks on their digital files, I've read elsewhere that these degrade the sound quality quite noticeably?

You couldn't be more wrong. Everything in the iTunes Store is encoded by Apple themselves from lossless files sent to them by the studio releasing the product. There is no DRM at all in the files, and they sound great!

I am also tremendously grateful to have this new stuff (uncut "T-Rex Chase" and "Hungry Raptor"? Hell yeah!), but that's the biggest headscratcher for me: Not only are Intrada and Universal are working together, but they've been working on special titles in honor of Universal's anniversary, and Jurassic Park is one of their major classic blockbusters, celebrating its own anniversary. It seems like a no-brainer to be a full-blown comprehensive release from Intrada, and yet it's getting a digital release in this form with minimal fanfare (as far as I can tell). It makes even less sense that La-La Land has been releasing such titles with no problems (in the case of 1941, from Universal no less!). Is Williams somehow more "protective" of that early '90s period (hence Hook)? Is there a CD release forthcoming, and Williams wanted a chance to take a stab at the unreleased material in his own way for the mainstream re-release?

I don't get it.

You have to keep in mind that JP is a HUGE studio property and everything related to it in terms of consumer products is handled in a way that go beyond the niches. Also, anything that involves Spielberg and his own movies has further levels of approvals and so on.

We should look at the bright side: we now have a virtually complete JP soundtrack release.

We're actually also really lucky that he didn't microedit these new cues, AND that the original soundtrack CD didn't feature microedits at all either. And there are no alternates! That leaves the last 3 cues the ONLY things we need, apart from clean openings and endings. WIth a lot of other scores, we are missing a bunch of cues, and a bunch of sections of various other cues as well.

EDIT: Wait, wasn't there 2 different endings to "The Entrance Of Mr. Hammond"? I know the sheet music ending is different than the film ending, but didn't a recording of the original ending show up in the documentary?

This is amazing. I'm still hoping for a CD from Intrada or someone someday but this is a terrific surprise. Too bad I'm on vacation with a horrible Internet connection and will have to wait until I get home. Can't wait!

Has anyone heard the complete album? I realize it's shitty lossy sound, but does the remastering sound any good? I'm curious what they could do with this score.

The sound is NOT shitty! Apple used extremely high quality encoding here, it doesn't sound any different from an actual CD on my nice headphones.

And yest he whole CD was remastered and it sounds great!! :up:

>On another note, does anyone know anything about the short piece of music that was used as the end credits on the Making of Jurassic Park laserdisc? Is that piece included in any of these bonus tracks?

That's the beginning of Hungry Raptor

The first part of your statement is wrong, the second part of your statement is right. I had NO idea this was coming!

You couldn't be more wrong. Everything in the iTunes Store is encoded by Apple themselves from lossless files sent to them by the studio releasing the product. There is no DRM at all in the files, and they sound great!

Hi Jason, so we aren't getting any more true expansions? We are? Not sure I understand your reply. You seemed to imply in the La-La Land The Fury thread that more Williams expansions were forthcoming :) hope so

Regarding the watermarking, this is what I read (no idea of its accuracy, just wondering...):

http://www.mattmontag.com/music/universals-audible-watermark

Seems to apply to lossless files and iTunes as well.

Hmmm, I hadn't read that before. Well what I am telling you is that this Jurassic Park remaster sounds great to my ears on my nice headphones. Buy it!

Hmmm, I hadn't read that before. Well what I am telling you is that this Jurassic Park remaster sounds great to my ears on my nice headphones. Buy it!

Believe me, if I could buy it in my country, I would in a heartbeep :biglaugh:

I was just thinking - that "The Trouble with Dennis" omission is so striking that perhaps this is being held back to have a noteworthy cue on a decent CD version later down the road? (A bit like the Planet of the Apes CD in the Elfman box was only slightly expanded because of LLL's set in the works?)

Guys, don't panic if it isn't already available internationally. The US Store usually gets things in advance and starts to sell sooner than all the others.

I'm sure this new edition will start to pop up on the various iTunes store across the globe over the next few days. Remember the movie is also being re-released all over the world.

Um wasnt the score being to be re-released physically?

I cant see it in amazon...maybe they are preparing the ultimate version...or it will include the remaining tracks instead... :P

I am unaware of any new physical release coming. The press release I posted on the second page pretty definitively says its a digital-only release, unfortunately :(

It wouldn't surprise me if La-La Land or Intrada is able to pick up the physical CD rights, even if its limited to 5 or 10 thousand copies. It would be a win-win situation for Universal, and similar to the arrangement Intrada has with Disney.

I was just thinking - that "The Trouble with Dennis" omission is so striking that perhaps this is being held back to have a noteworthy cue on a decent CD version later down the road? (A bit like the Planet of the Apes CD in the Elfman box was only slightly expanded because of LLL's set in the works?)

Elfman didn't hold anything back in the box set because of other releases. He simply created an expanded listening experience based on his discretion. The Nightmare Before Christmas is the only score where he went all out and chronological.

I don't get it.

You have to keep in mind that JP is a HUGE studio property and everything related to it in terms of consumer products is handled in a way that go beyond the niches. Also, anything that involves Spielberg and his own movies has further levels of approvals and so on.

This. Also, I suspect the suits at Universal now see iTunes/Amazon as more profitable than physical CDs, and for whatever reason the niche labels like La La Land can't yet cater to that. We're a board of soundtrack collectors who obsess over sound quality. It's easy to forget how few of us there are in comparison to general consumers. Remember: instant gratification. People are still trying to download music illegally, or they look for songs on YouTube or services like Spotify. A one click, instant download is perhaps the only avenue most record companies have at this point.

oesn't Universal Music put audible watermarks on their digital files, I've read elsewhere that these degrade the sound quality quite noticeably?

Indeed. Guys, lossless/lossiness is only one aspect of a listening experience, and a rather small one at that. Compression has nothing to do with mic placement, mic quality, mixing, condition of material, or anything "real" about the recording. The fact that this release is remastered, and remastered quite well, means much more to me than the fact that it is slightly compressed to meet iTunes standards.

Well it's clear now that the ENTIRE CD has been remastered. I haven't had time to listen to it all yet, but I am reading reports that the Opening Logos track sounds fairly different from the OST mix, for example. And the end of Dennis Steals The Embryos no longer crossfades into A Tree For My Bed!

I would guess that they re-edited the entire thing from scratch using a new transfer of the original session tapes. So we need to examine the entire thing here - for the tracks that are made up of multiple cues, the segues might be handled differently this time.

Maybe they finally fixed the editing error in Journey To The Island?