La La Land Records - New John Williams release coming Black Friday 2013 [UPDATE: June 2014] [Empire of the Sun]

JohnnyD

It was recorded in a concert hall after all, if I remember correctly.

But, still, A.I. album, while brilliant musically, offers a very alternate view on the score. The complete thing feels drastically different. That's why it needs to be out there.

Karol

But, still, A.I. album, while brilliant musically, offers a very alternate view on the score. The complete thing feels drastically different. That's why it needs to be out there.

IMHO, it's not the strongest presentation. While it has its own musical sense value, for me it feels like a disjointed, almost schizophrenic listening, as it shifts mood almost constantly. The whole score is very diverse and heterogeneous in itself of course, but a more narrative-like presentation would offer a more stimulating musical journey. In this sense, it reminds me of the OST album of Empire of the Sun.

Also It's a shame that most of the cues from the first act were completely left out, hence neglecting an appearance of the beautiful piano theme associated with David.

Karol

A.I. was recorded at Sony. It was Memoirs of a Geisha that was (partially) recorded at Royce Hall.

Karol

A.I. was recorded at Sony. It was Memoirs of a Geisha that was (partially) recorded at Royce Hall.

L.A. Recording Arts Orchestra was credited in the end credits of the film although I have a feeling most of the people are part of the Hollywood studio orchestras anyway. The same ensemble performed on the Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams album.

I haven't got a soundtrack album with me to check, but I'm sure I saw some other venue next to Sony on there. Never mind, you might be right, Jim - my brain does those things sometimes. ;)

Anyway, Maurizio. I know what you mean and that is one of the reasons why I want this expansion myself. But... if you look at it from a certain perspective, you'll find this disjointed eclectic self-contained set-piece collection that we got on album is actually very appropriate - some Glass-like minimalism, some dissonant stuff, Gayane-like string adagio.. it's more of a film-inspired Kubrick-like concept album. Which is exactly why I like it (songs are terrible, though).

Karol

I haven't got a soundtrack album with me to check, but I'm sure I saw some other venue next to Sony on there. Never mind, you might be right, Jim - my brain does those things sometimes. ;)

Anyway, Maurizio. I know what you mean and that is one of the reasons why I want this expansion myself. But... if you look at it from a certain perspective, you'll find this disjointed eclectic self-contained setpiece collection that we got on album is actually very appropriate (some Glass-like minimalism, some dissonant stuff, Gayene-like string adagio.. it's more of a film-inspired Kubrick-like concept album. Which is exactly why I like it (songs are terrible, though).

Karol

Oh the complete score would be heaven sent. One of my favourite JW scores but the album is something I very rarely revisit because of its disjointed nature.

IMHO, it's not the strongest presentation. While it has its own musical sense value, for me it feels like a disjointed, almost schizophrenic listening, as it shifts mood almost constantly. The whole score is very diverse and heterogeneous in itself of course, but a more narrative-like presentation would offer a more stimulating musical journey. In this sense, it reminds me of the OST album of Empire of the Sun.

Also It's a shame that most of the cues from the first act were completely left out, hence neglecting an appearance of the beautiful piano theme associated with David.

Oh, that theme is heartbreaking. Probably Williams greatest still unreleased theme

In the case of A.I., I suspect it's a wanted effect, as the whole score seems to be defined by a kind of cold, distant sound to depict the artificiality and a sense of emotional detachment.

It intentionally sounds like shit?

I have hundreds of CDs that were recorded in concert halls and churches. A.I. sounds like it was recorded in a padded coffin.

A.I. doesn't sound that bad. I think it depends on what gear your listening to it.

maybe if the c.d. is on the bassy side it'll sound bad on headphones that put an emphasis on bass and muffle the midrange.Or a closed model that will reduce the soundstage even further

I also never noted what was drastically wrong with Giacchino recordings

Yeah, with shitty gear it may pass as acceptable. Listening to it on AKG studio headphones makes you shake. The first notes of 'Abandoned in the Woods' is artifical bass knob bullshit galore.

The promo seems similar. It's not about distorted bass - don't you notice how unnatural the sound is? It's all a big mush, as if Murphy turned up the bass to 200 and trebled the rest down to 20%. The is hardly any clarity to the bigger passages, a fact you don't notice as much in the piano sections.

yes, I can hear it's "overblown". It's just the Grados have super detailed sound so it lessens the muffleness of the rest

Some tracks in Nixon seem worse to me

Is it the one when Monica invites him for a "picnic"? And the one you hear when David is watching family pictures (before imprinting)?

Karol

I think they mean the theme related to Monica's and Dr. Hobby's longing for their lost child and Monica's guilt over taking David into her family, which was left entirely off the OST, a beautiful melancholy idea performed most often on piano. Heard when e.g. David arrives, when David asks Monica if she will die, when Monica asks David for the picnic and when Dr. Hobby is looking at the picture of the real David in his office.

A.I. doesn't sound that bad. I think it depends on what gear your listening to it.

You mean I need bad gear?

I also never noted what was drastically wrong with Giacchino recordings

They sound very dry and harsh. Not "bad" in my opinion, it's mostly a taste thing - the sound fits Lost perfectly, Star Trek less so. But if you ask me, A.I. sounds objectively shitty.

Marian, I agree: "A.I." is bad, really bad, like "ROTJ" bad. It is soft and it sounds like it was mixed through a pillow. It sounds marginally better in 5.1 DVDA, but not that much better. I prefer to listen to the Academy promo.

As for unreleased: all I want is the "Dr. Know" stuff.

Marian, I agree: "A.I." is bad, really bad, like "ROTJ" bad. It is soft and it sounds like it was mixed through a pillow. It sounds marginally better in 5.1 DVDA, but not that much better. I prefer to listen to the Academy promo.

Do we even know if that was composed by Williams or done by the sound effects team?

Do we even know if that was composed by Williams or done by the sound effects team?

Ask Dr. Know -- there's nothing he doesn't!

I bet his did compose that, just like the DNA animation in Jurassic Park.

Karol

Probable, yes. Certain, no.

Anyway, Maurizio. I know what you mean and that is one of the reasons why I want this expansion myself. But... if you look at it from a certain perspective, you'll find this disjointed eclectic self-contained set-piece collection that we got on album is actually very appropriate - some Glass-like minimalism, some dissonant stuff, Gayane-like string adagio.. it's more of a film-inspired Kubrick-like concept album.

Interesting perspective, croc. You definitely have a point.

ROTJ sounds rather bad. But I think A.I. sounds a lot worse still.

I dunno, RotJ sounds bad probably because of the source itself (deteriorated X generation master tapes). AI seems a different problem but II only listen to the Promo so I'm not sure how the OST is

Like the Pre-Crime ad., the "Dr. Know" stuff sounds like JW, and it "feels" like JW.

I don't recall the promo sounding any different than the OST.

It does on my hi-fi.

I'd assume the 2 c.d. promo is just the sessions "as recorded" just thrown on the disks without any special mastering for release

It was also pulled out of circulation right away meaning not much thought was put into it

But didn't the presentation of disc 1 of the promo match up with the leaked track list some weeks before the CD release that got changed to accomodate the cringy songs? That would be a point against "just the sessions as recorded".

Also, "just the sessions recorded" probably would be incomplete cues, not just horizontally but vertically. I don't know about Williams'/Murphy's specific style of recording, but film scores are rarely recorded by all performers at the same time.

Either way, let's hope LLL found a way to punch the sound up. This would be the raison d'etre for a new release, complete or not. I really don't listen to this score a lot because it so lacks dynamics.

Then we will all rejoice that the exciting complete score to POSEIDON ADVENTURE is released a third time.

Impossible; LLL has released the score in its complete presentation.

Howabout Towering Inferno?

I would like to be able to have it without spending 200+

Aren't there only a few minor cues missing from the FSM release? I am quite delighted with that release.

LLL will probably announce what this expanded release will be sometime after Christmas, if not earlier. That is what I am guessing.