John Williams conducting the San Diego Symphony, Jan 30 and 31, 2015

chinaismine

At age 83 a broken bone takes ages to heal, and might become infected

I'll add that even at 33, breaking a bone will practically stop any sort of real conducting you might be doing for 6 weeks or longer, at least til you're out of a cast. I mean, you could still do it, but even a young guy in a cast will be best to just cancel. (Of course, broken bone is just discussion, I know.)

Whatever it is, here's hoping it's nothing too serious.

I don't think canceling a concert 20 days in advance is serious for an almost 83 year old. That may even be the reason why they decided to cancel.. because it's so soon. Look how long it took Harrison Ford to recover from his injury. Unless if JW reps have been known to publicly release feign statements, then I don't see any reason to believe this statement is anything more than a minor health issue.

Norwegians must be a gloomy bunch! Maybe because the booze is so expensive.

You clearly didn't get the point, because if I'm considered pessimistic, and I think there's no reason to worry -- well, what must that make you in this case? The mind boggles.

I'm not worried and wish him a speedy recovery. By all accounts he is in very good shape and has longevity in his genes. He's just an old man and mundane recoveries take longer.

Would you guys recommend still going to just hear the music without him? I'm flying cross country. I was really wanting to see Williams. Seems like kinda a waste to go now.

Really wanted to see him in concert conducting his own music since San Diego is much closer than Boston.

Here's wishing him a speedy recovery from whatever he has.

And in the event that there's no last minute surprise (I wish...), I can always save up to fly over and see him conduct Film Night for Tanglewood's 2015 season.

"Temporary minor health issue" is just ambiguous enough to be slightly worrying.

It could mean (with guessed probabilities!):

A) honest, but something symptomatic of a larger issue as of yet undiscovered (23%)
B) cover up of a known larger issue (24%)

C) cover up of minor embarrassing health issue (11%)

D) Just an honest minor health issue (42%)

John Williams is doomed! :crymore:

In that case...

better find a way to see him conduct (and if you're really ambitious, meet & greet) while you still can.

Stefan is in the background with his camera up in the air and a big smile on his face. I'm in the foreground holding the 1994 anthology booklet

That is a picture of me and JW.

Here's a picture of me giving an autograph to John.

A7912922-5948-4BCA-83D8-600A351D2010_zps

Damn.

Makes me wish I could live in Boston.

What are the living standards like up there?

New England living standards are quite high, but so are the house prices.

There are at least 4 JWFan members in that picture!

*Sigh* Some people get all the luck. Here's hoping I see him at Tanglewood this year.

Damn.

Makes me wish I could live in Boston.

What are the living standards like up there?

New England living standards are quite high, but so are the house prices.

Even in rural areas like Littleton, Groton, and Boxford?

What about low-end apartment rentals? I've seen some pretty nice places for up to $500:

http://boston.craigslist.org/search/abo?maxAsk=500

It shouldn't be too hard. I only need to save up $1500 before the first of August (that includes round-trip tickets, car, and hotel if there isn't a decent room to let somewhere in the area).

Oh, and let's not forget contingency. You never know when extra cash might be needed, especially travel expenses.

I think roughly equivalent, maybe a little cheaper. Problem is there isn't really anything else to do in the area

I know a place to get a FANTASTIC lunch though

Yeah, that would be the extent of my activity there:

Food (i.e. lunch with you guys), the Festival, and Williams (and I'm really ambitious, a meet & greet with pictures).

Well, better start saving up. Boston's not coming to me.

Stefan is in the background with his camera up in the air and a big smile on his face. I'm in the foreground holding the 1994 anthology booklet

Wow! You guys were actually that close? To each other, I mean. That musta been weird.

That is a picture of me and JW.

Here's a picture of me giving an autograph to John.

I never knew you got a chance to meet the man, Stefan. I'm sure he cherishes your gift. ;)

There are at least 4 JWFan members in that picture!

Who else is in there?

I gotta say, I'd love to meet some of the members on this board someday. It would be even better if none of us knew what the others looked like. We'd have to try to guess each others' identities from how we expressed our opinions. (Wouldn't take us long, I think. . . .)

Wow! You guys were actually that close? To each other, I mean. That musta been weird.

Jason had a lucky two days where he was close to me on a number of occasions.

img0039oc_zpscb29d094.jpg

Sitting across me, while sitting next to Ren.

976934_10151748878178436_1352711405_o_zp

Standing next to me.

IMG_5621_zpsb8e7b8a5.jpg

And even sitting next to me.

No, no . . . those aren't Jason. Jay looks like the guy from Breaking Bad. (Although recently he's been looking more like Auriel. . . .)

Funny thing, last year I were at the some spot where Stef is standing in the picture and got my piano sheet signed! Great experience.